Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
No longer SW now Supa Red
136 Posts
I was more curious what the ensolite is used for as far as purpose, like is it extra sound dampening?

Oh yeah, and I am not too big on suede in the car. Going to start looking at something to do with the door panels. I need easy to clean and stuff, cause when I have the chance I take the Xb when I go surfing and salt water and sand and other dirt tends to get on the vehicle.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
"I was more curious what the ensolite is used for as far as purpose, like is it extra sound dampening?"

Pretty Much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
XBGRL, Now that it has been about a year since your project whats your review? Anything you would do different? I just picked up a 2011 xb and I am considering this project. Thank you again for the detail and warnings.

StreetPilot

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hey StreetPilot, wow I can't believe its been that long already. I was trying to get a ride in my friends XB so I can kind of remind myself of what the noise level used to be, but its always busy busy busy. Well, if there was anything I could do different, it would be to get someone to help me to cut down the time but other then that, it wasn't all that bad.

Also, if you have extra material, put it somewhere in the car. Theres always some area that you can put it. I have been sitting with some ensolite foam since that time, and I dunno what im going to do with it. I was maybe thinking of giving out samples or something. hmmmm. meh *shrugs shoulders*

At any rate, Im pretty satisfied with it. Also just make sure that the material you have can withstand high heat because you dont want it peeling and such. When I took of the panels off yet again for the sude project (I can probably tell you several things I could have done differently on that :) )

I noticed that some of the foam that I put up peeled clean off. It was only because I ran out of what I got from rick and went to the store and got some other spray that didnt really work when the heat came. Hope this helps, get the tech files and start it up! I would like to see your project!

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,458 Posts
I would suggest spliting the roof and floors in to two seperate stages. the roof isn't too bad but for the floor you are going to have to do a full interior removal.

·
136 Posts
Oh, joy, got my shipment of Raammat today. I basically wanna do the roof and the doors first. Products have changed over there at Raamaudio. They no longer carry the roles of the mat. Now it comes in boxes of 24 15 x 15 sheets. Kind of nice since you can just stick on sheet down at a time instead of cutting the roll. And he no longer has the standard ensolite, it now comes in peel and stick and you can order it by the yard. I only picked up one box and 6 yards of ensolite. The roof is my main starting point for the mat. The ensolite I am going to use on the doors and the roof. Plan on starting this project this week.

·
136 Posts
Got around to post the pics of the roof, didn't take any of the doors, but what a major improvement. They sound so much more solid, almost like our RX330. And much quieter ride, can't wait to do the floor, but seeing how that is going to take much longer it won't be done for awhile. The roof took a few hours and the doors took about 6-7 hours with all that you have to decided on how to fit and cover, sorry no pics of the doors, due to time constraints.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Ahhh!!! Im really happy to see that you guys are taking up this project after all this time!! Very nice PhatSWXB! It's alot of work but very satisfying in the end right!? I wanna see some more pictures from you and everyone who SAID they were going to get started :)

·
Lugo
191 Posts
Got around to post the pics of the roof, didn't take any of the doors, but what a major improvement. They sound so much more solid, almost like our RX330. And much quieter ride, can't wait to do the floor, but seeing how that is going to take much longer it won't be done for awhile. The roof took a few hours and the doors took about 6-7 hours with all that you have to decided on how to fit and cover, sorry no pics of the doors, due to time constraints.

Looks great! Do you mind sharing how much the rammat order set you back?

·
136 Posts
It was just under 200 dollars for everything. The nice thing about the new ensolite it is peel and stick, I couldn't imagine doing it in the amount of time I did with the spray glue. And I have a good amount of ensolite left for the moment. So when I get around to doing the floor I won't need that much more.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks! :) nice to see this thing still up! Glad that it's been helpful to you all. The dreaded beetle has returned from the dead seeking revenge!

Ok ok that was cheesy but I thought it was hilarious to see it crawling on my screen today.

·
Registered
860 Posts
This is a good write up. I will probably do my doors and hatch in one phase, floor and roof in another phase. i will probably deaden the center console as well if I can, I always keep stuff in there and it rattles.
First off...this really should have a copy in the DIY section, great write up xBgrl. This will help a lot.

If this is your daily driver and you are worried about downtime, there is a way!
Just plan on not being able to drive for 1 day.
Start by stripping back to front, leaving the drivers seat and doorcard in place.
On the down day, you remove the doorcard, seat, and carpet. Apply your deadening in the door and front floor, reinstall the front carpet, seat, and doorcard.
Done deal, ready to roll.
It may be inconvenient for a week or so, esp if a family car, but in the long run, well worth the effort.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.