Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a couple days ago, after doing mucho mucho research and creating some type of budget, I Finally made the jump and purchased some "material". Rick over at raamaudio was tremendous in help, suggesting material and squarefootage for my car and so on. He even got my order out the same day I put it in. Thought Id share the good word. I would say that If you wanted to do this project, go with either rick or secondskin audio. By looking at a few forums, it feels as though these two are at the top.

Sooooooo I got to taking apart the panels, seats and such. Advice.

1. Mark Everything with masking tape!! Where it was, how many bolts where things were left and right (im a DIY'er not a mechanic lol :))

2. DIGITAL CAM!!! take pics pics and more pics.

3. Some of the tools I used were a socket wrench, screwdriver, electrical tape you know, ish like that.

4. Heres what I got from Rick (should be enough to do everything including the roof! well maybe the roof)
1 roll SS floor only mat 69.00 62sf
1 roll RAAMmat BXT 99.00 62sf
6 yards ensolite foam 59.70 84sf
3 cans adhesive 20.85
UPS ground 22.34

I have some pictures that i am attempting to upload to flickr and since my connection is so dang slo i will post tomorrow. Some of the pictures are kind of crummy from when I took it with my phone. Didnt have batteries for the digicam. Oh yeah get some of those too :). Will get some to get better photos.

I also wanted to point out that, you can find some manuals that I posted to help you along!

oooh left out another thing, get a torque wrench too! will be important in following the foot pounds on those manuals!!! you wanna make sure everything is nice and tight when you put it back together!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ldub,

Haven't put the material down yet as I am getting the material delivered today.

Timeline of events,

Mon - took apart the panels in the back to get to the rails for the rear seats and took those out.

Tue - Took apart the plastic panels "the black and creme" (seatbelts) on both sides. Removed the passenger seat

Wensday - Will be taking out the panels on the doors

Thursday- I might take out the spare (im keeping things that I need as long as Im driving just in case, tools ect). Will be taking out the center console and cleaning as much of the area as possible, like removing dust and such.

Friday - Will be taking out the driver seat and carpet. More cleaning in that area. Then I will plan on how I wanna go about laying the stuff out. I will be doing two layers.

Sat - eaaaaaarly in the morn when its not too hot, I will lay the mat.

Sun - Hopefully put most of everything back together.

I want to add that this is aLOT of work for one person so if you have someone willing to help that doesn't hurt either but im a stickler for perfection (or close to it)!

Some photos so far:

The Stuff 58 lbs man this is heavy (got delivered just now) two things of mat, 6yds of ensolite foam, three things of adhesive spray. I need to get a roller from the depot today:

Started with taking these plastic panels off on both sides

With seatbacks taken off, it was time to get the actual seat pad off. Removed it by squeezing in the white tabs on the bottom of that.

Here we have it.

Then I folded the seats down unscrewed the bolts on both sides

Here are the rest of the photos:

I will post more photos when I get everything out friday.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I notice that im out of order on one of my photos where the seat is folded down(sorry). That should be the second pic lol. Hey mods, can we have an option to edit our own postings?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I use flip flops for my elbows... dunno why they're here though. I'll wait and see if your quantities from RAAM are good since I was just about to order from them at the end of the month.

Good luck! I can't wait to see the final results.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol those are the spare flipflops kept in the car just in case I need them! I happened to take some of these pics on the same day and didn't feel like moving them. Thanks nosotros, im going to try and get it done Saturday so stay tuned.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I was thinking about that but if it is going to be DIY I can write it up alot better in detail. Here im just skimming through.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys so I left off at having the drivers seat in with the panels carpet and center console . Today I got everything out (finally) and heres what I have to say about it.

1. 1 way clips blow, and it blows even more when you dont have any extra and its become a casualty of incessant pulling.

2. I found unexpected creatures in my vehicle.

3. I didn't expect there to be so many dang pieces lol (i know i know its a car what should I expect)

4. I am sleepy, but getting up at 6am to start all nice and fresh. Horay!!:D

5. It would be nice to have someone help you with the project. Much faster. I see why doing this thru an installer would be expensive.

Moving on. Here are some more photos from today. Since my connection at home is a piece of crap and I wanted to get the photos up I had to resize them down to 600 px. I can upload a hi res gallery of all of the photos a lil later.

Here are my tools all nice and lined up for you all to see :)

Invisible tape, HA!

First lets go over the door panels. Basically this goes for all of the doors. Make sure all of your windows are rolled up.

Start by taking the screw out of the rectangular area, then lift that panel out of there. Unplug the plug.

There is another screw behind the panel you see here. You will need to take a flathead and pop the round cover off. It is a little loose here in this photo. I held the lever (as if I were opening the door) and there is enough space to get that flathead back there. This should reveal the screw.

Now that we have that taken care of, its time to take the panel off. I like to start at a corner because it just works well to do it that way. Get to tuggin, gently. You will feel the panel start to pop up.

Example:

Go around the panel until it is taken off. Be careful with the wiring behind there.

After you take that off, you will find the factory stock barrier. Take it off. Beware of the factory goop.

BAM!

Do this on all the doors.

So, now we need to remove the drivers seat. You will need to remove the covers at the bottom. Once you do that remove all 4 bolts holding the seatrail down.

So, after you remove the bolts, you will need to unplug the plugs seen in this photo.

You see the black hose looking thing in the first photo? Its hooked onto the chair so you will need to tug at it until it comes out. Result Below:

So now, the drivers seat is out and everything is disconnected. Boom! Lets move onto taking out this console.

Lets start here by lifting this plastic part to get to the bolt we need to remove. Start lifting at the bottom corner. Most of everything snaps up. When you get it off, you will see one bolt in the center. Sorry forgot to photo that but you will see what im talking about.

When you get finished with that, Remove the 4 screws on both sides and the grey clip at the bottom

One thing I failed to realize until it was too late was, im sitting here trying to wedge the damn thing out when all I had to do was hit the center and boom comes right out. Now im out two diff clips. Anyways.
Here’s an up close of the clip that didn’t suffer from my impatient wrath.

Gotta find these clips now (went to a dealer and they were out of em lol, just my luck):

So Moving on……

Remove these two screws:

Lift the lil carpet up in that center compartment and remove the two bolts inside of it.

After doing that, you should now be able to remove the console.
Sooooo Now, we need to take of the console from under the dash off. Unscrew your shift knob. On the panel that has the hazard light button, remove it by starting at the top corner. Gentleness and patience is key in everything we are doing here. I’m still learning that. Make sure you unplug the grey plug located there.

Ok, Now, Unscrew these 4 screws

Now the panel should come off.

Heres what it looks like with everything removed.

So sleepy, it’s almost midnight and Im thinking im gonna get up at 6………hmmmmmmm. Im too determined to get this writeup done so I PRESS ON lol. If I start making no sense i.e. rambling it’s because I’m way sleepy.
Moving on so I want to remove the carpet but there are still a few things in the way.

The gas lever. Unscrew the bolt holding it down.

This I think slides right off to either the left or the right. When you take it off, put it thru the hole in the carpet. Example

Take these panels off on both sides.

Take this sensor off

Now I believe we can take off the carpet. There will be these clips along the side of the car. You will need to push it in to life the cover and take the carpet out. You will know what I mean when you get there. Do this for all of the clips.

Along the ride, you will find a few 1 way clips holding the carpet down. The best way I have found to removed these is standing in the car, both hands on the carpet by the 1 way clip. Try lifting it in a circular motion. This will take some time.

After you remove the carpet, you will find some foam, carpet padding and airducts for the rear. Remove these things. EEEEEEEEEEW! IMAGINE MY DISGUST WHEN I FOUND THIS. I was so upset but moreso grossed out. I know I know maybe not a big deal but I dislike bugs. Especially crispy dead ones! It all fell apart when I tried to take it up. Yuck!

So heres what we got:

Heres all of my crap lol. In one big pile.

Well until tomorrow, more photos of the actual dampening!

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
major props for this! i i did it to my car too. stripped down to bare metal and deadened ever inch. tons of work but omg is it worth it. sooooooo mcuh quieter when you are done!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So today I got to cutting up the material to put down on the floor. Even though I was up till midnight yesterday, my brain this morning at 6 was like GET UP YOU MAGGOT (something like a drill sergeant) hut hut hut hut hut. My body was more like what the hell I need sleep and I don’t feel like operating. Anyways here are a few things I learned today.

1. EXTREME! Pringles don’t taste good with raamat goo.
2. If you have a huge beetle that’s been harassing you for a few hrs, treat it to a drink. A RAID cocktail.
3. Try to park somewhere in the shade, it helps when its 100 deg outside.

So here are the pics:

Ahh, look at that morning dew

Time to get my cleanin on. Have to make sure the surfaces are free of dust.

Now that I have finished wiping down the interior, it’s time to apply the stuff. I find it easier NOT to peel the entire sheet when doing a large area. So I peel it a little bit then put the slightly peeled part where I want the sheet to go.

Now that I have it peeled I can slowly go along the top and bottom by grabbing the paper and going over the material on the top to make sure it goes down flat. No matter what anyone says, a rubber hand roller will really help!

Heres what I got after hrs and hrs of work.

Thought I would cut some ensolite pieces out so that way I can save some time tomorrow. I also got around to doing the wheel wells which you have to kinda freestyle on that. I measured each piece for the floor .

‘Used a box to cut the material on.

Here’s what I was left with at the end of the day. I assumed right that the floor would at least be around 50sq ft. So as you can see, theres enough left to fill those empty spaces. That was from one roll!! I may end up just selling the extra as I will probably not find a need for it. I dunno.

Will be laying the ensolite down tomorrow. .

·
SUSPNJNKY
5,599 Posts
DAMN!!!! you tore that apart :D you are awesome i may do this now - thanks for the inspiration

sorry for the doublepost but thank you - this will make an AWESOME diy thread :) i don't own a gen2 but serioulsy this is high quality and detailed - perfect for DIY's i was i was a mode to make this a more permenant thing :) not to mention this is your first diy and it will be a staple

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Lifex!! Also thank you to everyone in the thread giving good feedback!! I would like to get some more of your comments so come on in and drop one. I would like to know what more of you think :)

So I finally got around to laying the ensolite down. I also added raammat to the wheel wells . Things I learned today,

1. Kneepads. Unless you have a garage/shop or a table, you will be kneeling a lot to cut and apply stuff. You will learn to appreciate them after doing this work lol.

2. The Beetle returned. I thought from yesterday this thing would find its way somewhere and I could work in peace. Not the case! It was flying around into the house (literally crashing into the brick) and other random places. As I went to lay ensolite back where the tire area was look at what I found!

I was close to killing this thing yesterday and it managed to lodge itself right under this thing. How in the hell it happened I have NO idea. It must have wanted to get high off the goo gone, and spray adhesive. You already know my feelings about unexpected creatures. Here’s what happened next.

I gave it a chance yesterday. Sad story. Oh well moving on……..

3. Doing like double layers of let’s say the raamat and then something like ensolite is crazy. Maybe not crazy for the wheel wells but I’m talking about the floor. Several people have supposedly done this.

4. I feel like my arms and legs are about to fall off lol.

Here's a shot of ensolite sheets before I affixed it to the raamat. What I did with this was basically cut huge sheets and covered the areas. I didn’t really measure this time. Laying the ensolite took less time but had the same process as laying down the raamat. I sprayed a corner with glue just to hold the ensolite at the starting point. From there, I sprayed a certain amount of glue over the given area. I held the ensolite up and then with my other hand, basically went over the glued area.

Here’s what the inside looks like with the ensolite done:

So while laying the ensolite I came across some air bubbles. I just slit a slight hole and rolled over it with the hand roller. What’s nice about the ensolite is that you can kind of smudge it over before the glue sticks just in case you make a noticeable hole.

Make SURE to find and make all holes!!! Make sure that it is clear of goo. This makes it easier to screw in the bolts when your putting things back together.

I got around to putting the driver, passenger and center console back in. Unfortunately I didn't get to the doors but I will be doing that during the week.

More pictures of the doors to come. Thats if i can even move tomorrow. Goodnight yall im out!

Oh and another thing, You see that cutter in the last photo, you wanna get something like this. Not a rinky dink crappy one. I had a rinky dink cutter and used it on a few things. Lets say im really glad that I had this nice industrial one. Made my cuts easier.

Oh also, I took the car for a lil spin and Oh My. So. Worth. It. and im not even done! You can definitely tell the difference. Ok im really out now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
^^Hahahah thank you! Yeah ill do it for a small fee, but I guess its all about what you consider small.

j/k but its not that hard im sure its a project you can take on

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.