Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'd do your research before ordering that kit.

Not talking smack, but I really don't like it's design. They place the turbo away from the engine underneith the car.

If you really do decide you want a ZPI kit, there is a slightly used one for sale in the classified section as well.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
PM Proshop. He has a kit available. He also has an auto and has a TON of info on the kit since he was running it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Youre not gonna be a "mustang killer" (unless you hunt the 4 or 6 cyl mustangs) like ZPI claims, but it will be faster than it is now. SRT4? no way.

If youre gonna get one, buy the one in the classifieds section, it is a way better deal than new.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Do your homework. You have over six S/C and Turbo kits to choose from, and the others have been on the market for some time now.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
As others have mentioned... You really, REALLY need to do your research before purchasing any forced induction kits. And I definitely wouldn't order online. Call ZPI and talk to them direct if you are dead set on buying a kit from them. I would also get them to fax you something in writing with a guaranteed ship date.

Also, if you are dead set on the ZPI kit, I would hit up Billy first. He has a breat price on a slightly used pre-production kit they did.

But as I stated in the beginning. Really do your research on all of the forced induction options out there before you make a commitment to one brand or another.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well I was gonna try and stay out of this thread, since I am biased abit.. I have already talked to z400ryder5 and told him that a turbo on our cars makes them so much more fun and spirited to drive and about my kit.. Beating an SRT 4, WRX, EVO and MazdaSpeed 3 arent gonna happen with a turboed auto or even a 5 speed.. unless you have done some serious and I mean serious work to the car. You could beat a Cobalt.. but not a SCed Cobalt... I have a nice list of cars that I beat, one in general that no one would beleive..but I will keep that to myself.... So I think these cars can be more than just cruiser cars.. I think you can make some power and have some real fun with them and look good doing it.. But if you have a list of cars like that you want to beat, then you are gonna need a way better car to start with.. Which is why I myself am moving on to bigger and faster cars.. So in conclusion if you want to mod the Box to turn some heads and have some fun.. then get a turbo and enjoy it.. It is worth every dime you will spend on it.. If you want to beat the bad boys.. then buy one of the bad boy cars and beat them at there own game.

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
I know KillerRomances is running I think just under 200whp. He however has A LOT of other engine upgrades. He has an Auto also.

If I could afford a kit, I would get one, as Proshop said...it makes the car much more fun to drive, not to mention the look you get when people hear a blow off valve and look over to see a flying fridge ;)

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
I know KillerRomances is running I think just under 200whp. He however has A LOT of other engine upgrades. He has an Auto also.

If I could afford a kit, I would get one, as Proshop said...it makes the car much more fun to drive, not to mention the look you get when people hear a blow off valve and look over to see a flying fridge ;)
he also does NOT have zpi turbo.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Completely custom hks 2510 turbo to be exact. And if you want power, safely, you need to seriously build the f*ck out of the motor if you want it. I would not recommend zpi's kit to anyone. I have around $8,000 invested in my all motor project (146whp) on an auto, sounds like alot and it is when most is custom. Not to mention all the headaches attached to tuning a standalone.

With the turbo set up, i had 200whp however right now im back to all motor due to trying to figure out a over heating issue. So if you want power, and destroy your motor, go with zpi. If you want the same if not more power, reliably, go custom. More expensive yes, but well, well worth it.

With race gas and slicks... All motor i can hit upper 13's, with the turbo i hit as low as 12.68. What can zpi? Have you seen how poorly their turbo kits dyno? Yes it makes power, but you really can't make use of that power when you don't really hit any major power till high rpm bouncing off the rev limiter. Watch automatic video to see what i'm saying, the manual kits aren't as bad but its still bad enough.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Tony, was your custom HKS setup intercooled? I am sure you have thought of that if you haven't already done it. Oh, and any word on Arias or anyone else going into production on high compression pistons? Arias still doesn't have the 1NZ-FE listed on their site. And in all of my searching I have only found the low compression 8.5:1 pistons online. As well as forged rods from Crower. (I know Carillo has done rods, but they aren't commercially available from what I have seen.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tony, was your custom HKS setup intercooled? I am sure you have thought of that if you haven't already done it. Oh, and any word on Arias or anyone else going into production on high compression pistons? Arias still doesn't have the 1NZ-FE listed on their site. And in all of my searching I have only found the low compression 8.5:1 pistons online. As well as forged rods from Crower. (I know Carillo has done rods, but they aren't commercially available from what I have seen.)
Not that i know of, there isn't enough of a demand for any company to really get into internals of any kind. Yes, my turbo is/was intercooled. :)

Crower isn't commerically available per se, however you can order them they just don't list it commercially.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.