Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I came across another salvageable part at work. The 3rd brake light out of a 05' BMW Z4 roadster, lens was cracked so I took it apart and used the LED strip out of it. With some flat black paint double sided tape and about 20 minutes it was done. The strip is thin, less than a 1/4 inch. About 3/4 inch tall, nearly a foot long.

Sprayed it flat black, (taped off the LED's)
Used a 8" piece of 1/4 inch wide double sided tape,
Removed the original light,
Wired and taped it on the hatch over hanging the window.
Doesn't look at all bad on the inside, very clean, but it is there.

Note: Rain on window
Last pic is at about 40ft away.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
damn you and your custom work!

loving it. Would it be possible to add another 2, and stack them to have 3 rows?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
hayalex6 said:

loving it. Would it be possible to add another 2, and stack them to have 3 rows?
I'm beginning to believe there is nothing that is impossible for him!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hayalex6 said:

Maybe, But the light is pricey. I believe somewhere in the $250 range, Damn BMW prices!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the brave little toaster said:
would it work the same to pick up a led strip and wire it?

I don't see why not. Should work!

Alex - You won't be finding a Z4 in a junk yard, a new BMW will almost never total. We have done nearly $20k in repairs on one just to keep it from totaling. Insurance don't want to buy a BMW.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Damn I have been looking for somethign like that for a while. It looks good like I expected. Id like a long ass one to go across the whole window.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skeeter said:
Damn I have been looking for somethign like that for a while. It looks good like I expected. Id like a long ass one to go across the whole window.
Yeah, I love my job!;)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will let ya'll know if I run across another.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AirecK said:
i want one .....
would go well with my LED tails....
Yes it would, would go great!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
You should be ashamed of yourself...just throwing your skills in our faces like that...its just not fair...

They look real good...

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
lookins good bro. i think i need to make a trip to a junkyard too. been havin a couple of ideas floating around in my head.

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
There is another xB in houston that has an LED third brake light, but it goes across the whole window, nestor (elegancexB) did it for someone, cant remember who though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sir said:
There is another xB in houston that has an LED third brake light, but it goes across the whole window, nestor (elegancexB) did it for someone, cant remember who though.
I was just going to mention that last night Sirscion (but didnt feel like logging in on dial-up...) ..

If you want an LED 3rd that goes the whole length, use one of the 48" "line of fire" LED brake lights they sell for trucks. They are usually placed under the bottom edge of the tailgate and are a two wire hook up. 'worst' part is making the housing so it looks clean - but if you're good with fiberglass or a bodyman - that's no big deal.

they also make a 60" version, but that's way to long.. They are listed all over ebay (last time I checked).

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pumpkinbox said:
I was just going to mention that last night Sirscion (but didnt feel like logging in on dial-up...) ..

If you want an LED 3rd that goes the whole length, use one of the 48" "line of fire" LED brake lights they sell for trucks. They are usually placed under the bottom edge of the tailgate and are a two wire hook up. 'worst' part is making the housing so it looks clean - but if you're good with fiberglass or a bodyman - that's no big deal.

they also make a 60" version, but that's way to long.. They are listed all over ebay (last time I checked).
Yeah, this one is just the right size that it looks fine. And free!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.