Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Ski-fi radio that I put into my Xb. I had bought one of those flexible mounts that attaches to one of the seat bolts, but I don't like it. Mounting it that way puts it in the way of the passenger and no matter how I bend it, its still in the way.
I was going to rig up a mount off of the center armrest but I can already see how, it'll be in the way there to.
I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Will it fit in the "oven"? (that little space with the door under the stock radio)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frogbox said:
Will it fit in the "oven"? (that little space with the door under the stock radio)
No its to tall. I'll have to devise something. I'm thinking if I could make a mount that will telescope from the center armrest and be able to pivot up and down. I'll figure something out I hope.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What are the dimentions of the unit, and weight?

I've put some pretty odd things in cars, trucks, and bikes.
Managed to install a stereo with dvd player w/7" monitor onto a bike( Iknow that was weird) but the guy wanted it.

Maybe I could think of something out of the ordinary ( non-glovebox, non-oven). You got me thinking now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The specs from Xm for the Skifi2 are 4.65 in W x 2.91 in H x 1.26 in D Weight 5.2 oz or 118mmx 74mm x 32 mm 147g
With it in the docking station its like, which is how it must to to use in the car the height is about 5 inches. I don't think the weight is much more.
I think my ultimate solution might just to buy a Roady2 they are a lot smaller and lighter. The downside to that is that I have a home kit and a boom box for the skifi2.
Ok lets see what you can think of, I appreciate your time. Oh keep in mind that I have a 5 speed.
If it wasn't for the center armrest I could mount it without any trouble.

Frogbox said:
What are the dimentions of the unit, and weight?

I've put some pretty odd things in cars, trucks, and bikes.
Managed to install a stereo with dvd player w/7" monitor onto a bike( Iknow that was weird) but the guy wanted it.

Maybe I could think of something out of the ordinary ( non-glovebox, non-oven). You got me thinking now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I mounted my S50 by sticking the adhesive pad of the mount to the back of the pencil cup in the passenger dash. I made a small hole in the side of the cup and all the wiring goes thru there into the dash. The unit sits just below the right side vent in the center dash. It's just within reach altho I usually use the remote. I'll try to get some pics of it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Seriously consider Velco. You can mount it anywhere. I have Velco on the back of my cell phone and onto the center console. Doesn't bounce around when I drive.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You ever thought of an overhead center console?
Do you really like the visors where they are? How about the rear view mirror ?

I have mounted many radios over head, for some reason people who want to steal radios don't ever look up for them, and would be accessable and visable
to you, the driver.

With it being only a few ounces wouldn't take alot to mount it where the rear view mirro mount and then mount the mirror just below that.
Or use the mounting location for the visor, doing the same thing and just dropping the visor down a bit, keeping it intact and useable.

Either of these sound good ? Let me know.
Having a 5 speed myself and the same car makes measurements easy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I change stations constantly, so an overhead console would be a little inconvenient. Plus I won't do any thing I can't undo or cover up when I undo it..
I forgot to mention that there are 3 wires that attach to it. If I could build what I have pictured in my head, I'd be set. I'm much better at modifying than building from scratch.
I'm picturing a mount that folds relatively flat against the armrest but can pivot out, then telescope out past the front of the armrest.
I've considered attaching it to the passenger side storage up, then using the remote control, but I really don't like that idea.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I tripped over my solution, literally. The mount I had in my old car was laying on the floor and when I tripped over it I paid it some more attention. Its made by Panavise and I forgot how flexible it is. It has a ball stud mount on both sides, which gives it a lot of movement. I'm thinking that I can u-clamp down low on the center armrest and if I have a shaft the right length, I can just pivot it out when I'm driving then flip it up with the armrest when I park the Xb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.