Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
My suggestion is to have a surplus of "not in service" vinyls that you can easily pull off for shows, don't forget that the sirens and lights can be on the car, while it's on display only, which you'd have to make sign stating display only.

Display meaning AT a carshow, not driving to it, not leaving it, but AT the car show only.

You can't have the lights on the car while driving, but you can have all the stuff for the sirens, just make sure you don't turn the sirens on.

I think it would be an AWESOME box to pull off, but you'd probably get heckled a lot by the po po's

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Cool idea, I got another. Turn it into an Ice Cream truck, you could go all out and it's legal.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Be sure to put a big box of doughnuts on the passenger seat. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Though not my particular taste, I think you could pull it off. The paint scheme you have shown below would work well, but I would skip all of the "tuner" looking parts. Police cars are completely utilitarian.

Assuming you will be starting with a Polar White xB, you can just shoot the front fenders, hood, front and rear bumpers, rear quarters, and rear hatch (below the window) black. For rolling stock, I would keep the steelies. But maybe dress them up with a set of stainless trim rings and a set of old Tercel hub caps (barely larger than the bolt circle). This alone would give you a huge leap in the police cruiser direction.

And don't be scared about mounting lights on your roof. What you will want to look for is something like the newer LED light bars. Something that is "modular" that would allow you to switch from amber flashers for driving on the street to red and blues for shows. By using the LED light bar you always have the same look when they aren't lit.

As far as the markings on the side of the car, you may want to consider magnetic signs. These can be removed easily, and could keep you out of hot water for impersonating a police officer.

From there you can move on to adding things like your siren/P.A. system. Custom built push gaurd, plexiglas partition (won't that be fun for the passengers), gun rack, emergency road side kit, laptop mount, etc.

The possibilities are endless. Just don't forget that police cruisers also get handling and performance upgrades. I would suggest at least a 1" drop to reduce the fender gap, as well as a rear sway bar. Performance wise an intake, header, and quiet exhaust (like Tanabe Touring) should do the trick.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Do you have any pictures yet of what your car currently looks like?

Also, check out http://www.galls.com. It is a great resource for all of your police equipment needs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's a cool idea, check to see if your state has its laws available on a website, or check your local library to see whats in line with your state's laws. Each state has different laws on the books, AND case law which is how those laws on the books has been applied in the past. It's a great concept, but in my opinion it would have to be a show only car to really do it right.

*edit* also most of the red and blue lights are sold to law enforcement and fire personnel only...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
And who doesn't know a police officer or fireman? :)

Seriously though, you may want to contact your local police or sheriffs department. They may be willing to partner with you on the project. Even if they don't get you any surplus gear, they might be willing to let some violations slide in exchange for some promotional appearances.

Police departments are always looking to promote good public relations. Anything they can do to look better in the public's eyes is a good thing. Especially when it doesn't put a dent in already tight budgets. How many of you had a local department dress up one of the new beetles, or a similar car to help promote their department?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And who doesn't know a police officer or fireman? :)

Seriously though, you may want to contact your local police or sheriffs department. They may be willing to partner with you on the project. Even if they don't get you any surplus gear, they might be willing to let some violations slide in exchange for some promotional appearances.

Police departments are always looking to promote good public relations. Anything they can do to look better in the public's eyes is a good thing. Especially when it doesn't put a dent in already tight budgets. How many of you had a local department dress up one of the new beetles, or a similar car to help promote their department?

Who would I contact and what would I say.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
thats a good idea... thought about that before but i have an envy green not a PW... go to your local police dept and tell them your idea, they could prolly send you to the right person to talk to... and give you ideas on what you can have and what you CANT have...

the ice cream truck is cool too but im not sure how to do it... all my friends and my lil bro calls my car an ice cream truck and always makes fun of it... but how do youmake it look like and ice cream truck??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats a good idea... thought about that before but i have an envy green not a PW... go to your local police dept and tell them your idea, they could prolly send you to the right person to talk to... and give you ideas on what you can have and what you CANT have...

the ice cream truck is cool too but im not sure how to do it... all my friends and my lil bro calls my car an ice cream truck and always makes fun of it... but how do youmake it look like and ice cream truck??
Get Tons Of Ice Cream Stickers And A Loudspeaker That Plays That Stupid Tune.

http://icecreamtrucks.com/used_novelty.shtml

·
Registered
673 Posts
Every police dept now days has some 'public relations' department or spokes person.... that would probably be your best bet for pitching the idea to first...

as for the fogs replaced by strobes... why replace them.. you could just get strobe kit and add it to the existing fogs lights.... just a couple holes to drill and seal carefully to put them in...

·
Project Cop Box
540 Posts
i'm doing the same thing with the "police" theme, just glad you aren't around texas. LOL!!!

seriously though, i'm having a shop design my graphics so i can't be misaken for a real police vehicle. it'll have the look, but won't say POLICE on it anywhere.

·
Project Cop Box
540 Posts
i just got a rendering from the graphics shop i'm working with.

i told him to go ahead and make it up. ;)

·
Project Cop Box
540 Posts
well, i got started wondering about the legality of it all so i sent an email to my local police chief and here is his response:

I don't believe it would be illegal to have these graphics on a vehicle
unless you are using emergency lighting while operating the vehicle.
The only other concern would be if the graphics state Law Enforcement/
Police on them. I believe Best Buy has the Geek Squad black and white VW
Bugs with the generic badge on the side.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
If you have real guts, you can get yourself a real one ;)

Jk! Clubxb, nor any of it's staff, ever advocate theft of police or any other property. lol. Thats my disclaimer! Cant wait to see the car done!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.