Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Xb.
Last week I started having a slipping belt noise start. It only happens when the engine is idling at a light, then gets worse just as I take off but then stops and runs fine till I put it in neutral and pull up to a light or a stop sign. I replaced both belts today and it still does the same thing. I popped the hood and every pulley is moving fine, as are both belts, but the noise is awful. There are no other issues, or fluids leaking, or any lights going off. When the belts were off, all the pulleys seemed to spin just fine. It sounded more like it was coming from the power steering pump area. I turned the wheel both ways and it seemed slightly louder with the added load.
I am thinking it may be the pump, but never heard a power steering pump sound like a squealing belt.

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
Loose belts. Tighten it up via the pump and alternator.

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
ive done it god knows how many times... next step is to replace the water pump

·
Tactical Toaster
2,397 Posts
If you're sure it's at tension, then it's a pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
T-Rex, did you ever find a solution?

My 04 xB just started doing this back in December and I've been trying to figure out the solution. Since then, I've replaced the belts and took it to a shop to check the adjustment. They said the adjustment is good and think that it is a hardware problem (power steering pump or AC) but with the holidays, I couldn't fork up the $$ for an evaluation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and both belts and it seems to have fixed it, so I would say that it was the water pump after all. Never heard a water pump do that since they usually have that grinding sound, but so far so good. It was quite involved to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Solved!!! I found a very reasonable shop and had the waterpump and both belts replaced for only $234 for all parts and labor. Its been a a few days and I've put on 300 miles and no squeak. Can't believe I was driving around with a bad fuel pump. Much thanks to T-Rex.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem I did it before it was my water pump and again I have to change it I don't know what is causing this but for some reason the pulley of the water pump keeps messing up

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've had to replace mine twice. I have this friend who is a Toyota technician who told me that the aftermarket water pumps were failing and that OEM Was the way to go. When I replaced my second one with an OEM I've never had a problem since.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm looks like im going to be doing the water pump.

My belts are squealing more frequently so i had a mechanic look at them today. Said they might be original(82k) but they look fine. Coolant was a little low so im betting the pump is going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new here and my XB1 is making a similar squealing noise for about six minutes after cold start and then rides fine with no noise after that. I changed all belts last year and it's been causing that noise eversince. I recently had the mechanic tighten it a bit more and that eliminated the noise to a large extent even though I can still hear some of it when stepping on the gas. It rides fine after it gets warm with no noise at all. The car has no known issue besides that. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I change the timing chain tensioner but it wasn't that it was the alternator we were playing with get it loose and tie it it was that

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tighten it some more, i left mine loose so it wouldnt stress the pullys as bad and it squealed like a pig, tightened it up a hair and now it just chirps one time on start up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts