Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I looking at to spend to get my 06 base rolling around town looking like a tiny little truck? It's not something I can do myself, so looking for a ballpark on what others have invested.

·
Bock's Car
1,095 Posts
Ya if money is a object than probably too much. Best bet is so all a few shops. It'll take interior work as well as exterior.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
913 Posts
What am I looking at to spend to get my 06 base rolling around town looking like a tiny little truck? It's not something I can do myself, so looking for a ballpark on what others have invested.

There have been a few truck and convertible mods displayed on this site. Maybe if these guys are still around, they can provide information to you.

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-appearance/29347-my-buddies-chopped-box-truck.html

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/members-rides/41872-official-custom-scion-xb-chopped-removeable-top-w-rwd-v8-conversion.html

·
Government Approved
363 Posts
It'll probably be more efficient to buy an old Tacoma or Ranger from the late 80's if you want that boxy truck look.

This is one of those projects where if you're asking how much or how to do it, then you probably should proceed. But if you have a blank check, then I'm sure a local custom shop will be more than happy to work with you!

---------- Post added 03-16-2017 at 08:06 AM ----------

shouldn't*

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
here's a lil advice, take it any way you want, but if you have to ask how much something costs you generally cant afford to do it...

truck conversion is going to cost you at least 2500 for the paint job, fab work is going to cost you probably more than the car costs UNLESS you are handy with a torch and welder

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's a lil advice, take it any way you want, but if you have to ask how much something costs you generally cant afford to do it...

truck conversion is going to cost you at least 2500 for the paint job, fab work is going to cost you probably more than the car costs UNLESS you are handy with a torch and welder
While I CAN afford to do it within reason, I'm trying to decide if I WANT to afford it. Could I come up with $10K? Probably, but do I want to invest that in a vehicle I bought for a quarter of that? Maybe not. I think they look cool, but I can't imagine it's practical as any sort of truck. Since this is my daily, it'd be summer until I did anything, as a Harley would be my ride while it was under the knife. I probably wont end up doing anything but drive it until the wheels fall off, but was just looking to see if others who had done it could share rough guesstimates on cost.

---------- Post added 03-17-2017 at 02:02 AM ----------

Just a follow up...I've talked to 3 body shops and a speed shop in the area. None will give me any sort of quote or guess without filling out forms with my number and various other information that I don't want to give them unless I actually commit to the work. I am targeted by junk mail people enough already.

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
most fab shops charge over 100 an hour to do work so the tally adds up very quickly.. if this was going to be a weekend project type deal to learn how to do body work and welding then by all means get a decent welder and a good angle grinder and have at... then your biggest expense would be the paint job which is another good place to learn how to do stuff yourself and learn how to do body work

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most fab shops charge over 100 an hour to do work so the tally adds up very quickly.. if this was going to be a weekend project type deal to learn how to do body work and welding then by all means get a decent welder and a good angle grinder and have at... then your biggest expense would be the paint job which is another good place to learn how to do stuff yourself and learn how to do body work
I worked in an Air Force body shop for 2 years, and I can "farm weld" as I call it, but I'd never attempt to cut up a car without being in an internship or something. I painted, but it was CARC paint, and we didn't do any real prep except for knocking rust and loose paint off. I reckon I'll just admire the truck xB's others have done and continue to rack up miles on mine in OEM fashion.

·
Banned User
13,121 Posts
I learned how to weld by doing rust repair on a 66 C10... and the guy I was helping was learning as well, and the truck was being turned into a show truck.... just take your time and be patient and for less than 5k you could have an xB truck you built yourself

---------- Post added 03-16-2017 at 08:13 PM ----------

remove the rear glass yourself or pay a glass shop to do it for you, cut at the body line and move the rear quarter forward or just the hatch area forward how ever big you want the "cab" to be, tack weld and move to another spot and tack again, keep doing it until its fully welded with minimal panel warping.. plenty of videos on how to do body work properly and like i said in the course of a few good weekends you could have a cool car

·
Registered
143 Posts
How about selling yours and buying an Open Deck version to replace it? That way, you get to have five of the "normal" car's six seats (buckets instead of the factory bench up front), but also have a pickup bed at the back. The back seat folds backwards just like the hatch one does, but you get to sleep beneath the stars. Carry an umbrella if you stay in a wet part of the world:

The Open Deck only comes with the 1NZ engine, so 2NZ fans needn't apply..;)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
In the last few months I have seen 2 XB truck conversions for sell. One was a completed show piece being stripped back to semi stock to sell. The other was a project that had most of the conversion done. You might be better off finding a project that has lost interest, but you run the risk of it being sub par work. Just depends on how far you want to go.

Reactions: DickInABox

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about selling yours and buying an Open Deck version to replace it? That way, you get to have five of the "normal" car's six seats (buckets instead of the factory bench up front), but also have a pickup bed at the back. The back seat folds backwards just like the hatch one does, but you get to sleep beneath the stars. Carry an umbrella if you stay in a wet part of the world:

The Open Deck only comes with the 1NZ engine, so 2NZ fans needn't apply..;)
This is OEM? Was this sold as an option in the US? It's pretty cool looking.

·
Bock's Car
1,095 Posts
No open deck here in the US sadly, but yes it was a OE. I second getting one that's already built. Just look it over good.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

·
Old School xB Builder
1,569 Posts
I have one in the works right now. but mine's a little bit different because mine's more than just a truck conversion. I have my hood split, up and left and right. my tail lights are shaved mirrors are shaved side markers or shaved Hood and shaved gas door. my front doors are suicide. Rear doors are welded shut. it's a king cab too. I welded in the C pillar, so there are no windows in the king cab. I have welded in the rear tailgate, it splits in half, half goes left and half goes right. I French the license plate box in the back. the hatch still opens as the back of the cab. now I'm looking at doing a tandem axle where I'm going to weld another XB into it to stretch and have two axles in the rear. Teaser photo. Still doing body work now to complete everything before the tandem get started

Attachments

·
Old School xB Builder
1,569 Posts
All I can tell you if you're going to need a good mig welder that you can dial the amperage way down. The sheet metal on the Scion is between a .20 and .22 guage and burns through very easy. Do yourself a favor get some old Hoods from the wrecking yard practice on those first.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,569 Posts
Sent you a pm With info to have it done.

Reactions: PapaJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sent you a pm With info to have it done.
Hey Ray, think you could provide me with this info as well on a PM? I've cut everything but i need the amperage range and any little things you've found to be useful.

Thanks for your time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts