Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading in some post that its functional, other say its does nothing. Personally, I don't feel anything, maybe because I don't drive on the highway thinking i'm on a road course.
anyways, for the sake of me and JDMscionbB, please shed some light!!!

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Yeah I put on a hotchkins front strut bar and couldn't tell the difference. I got it cheap so I mainly bought it for looks. I'll probably attach some cathodes to it to add a little flavor under the hood. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been reading in some post that its functional, other say its does nothing. Personally, I don't feel anything, maybe because I don't drive on the highway thinking i'm on a road course.
anyways, for the sake of me and JDMscionbB, please shed some light!!!

I DO NOT RECOMEND DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY AS IF IT IS A ROAD COURSE, UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING A FULLY FUNCTIONAL SUSPENSION SET UP, WITH A REINFORCED FRAME, AND VARIOUS OTHER FUNCIOTNAL SUSPENSION AND CHASSIS MODIFICATIONS

The magic question here is STRUT BARS.

Are they really FUNCTIONAL?
And is there a differenc between an Ebay Cusco Style strut bar, and a CUSCO strut bar. Am I the only one that sees a difference.

·
Registered
402 Posts
well I used the dog flying out of the seat test........before dog(12lb weiner dog) and lunch bag would fly out of seat on turns.......after strut bar(CUSCO) installed......dog and lunch bag now stay in seat......weiner launches aborted......gf also installed strut bar(APR bB) in her car to same results in above test.......I used to rub on d2's.....after installation no rub on same turns. So for me it looks good and I say it works for my purposes.....

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I like the weiner dog launch test. I didn't have one of those to test with maybe thats why I didn't feel the difference. lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
Functionality : 1
Style: 0

Mods, Can we get a poll here? Seems like a good topic.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I DO NOT RECOMEND DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY AS IF IT IS A ROAD COURSE, UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING A FULLY FUNCTIONAL SUSPENSION SET UP, WITH A REINFORCED FRAME, AND VARIOUS OTHER FUNCIOTNAL SUSPENSION AND CHASSIS MODIFICATIONS
And tell us why you would recommend driving on the highway as if it's a road course???

With or without the mods stated it's not the brightest idea in the world for multiple obvious reasons.

Sorry I don't have a strut bar, or have I ever driven a car with one. If I were to get one though it would be for style only as I must re-state that we are driving XB's and not race cars here people.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Well if we are going on OPINIONS I'd say:
Rating 1-10
Functionality - 3
Style - 6 (attach cathodes under bar) Style - 8
Hotchkins Front Strut Bar

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did you read the thread from the very beginning?

LOL. This is what im talking about this forum is going down hill. You should read a little more my friend.

And tell us why you would recommend driving on the highway as if it's a road course???

With or without the mods stated it's not the brightest idea in the world for multiple obvious reasons.

Sorry I don't have a strut bar, or have I ever driven a car with one. If I were to get one though it would be for style only as I must re-state that we are driving XB's and not race cars here people.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can PUSH an Xb to the extreme. But you need the: Say it with me kids:

FUNCTIONAL MODIFICATIONS to the chassis, frame, and suspension.

You obviously havent seen what some of the guys do here in Miami with their Xb's.

You SEE!!!!!1 All this igonrance and close mindedness, leads to bashing.
Sorry for any insults, on with the topic at hand.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yes I read it form the start. The key word in that quote is "UNLESS". Using that word what you are saying that it is OK to drive on the highway like you are on a road course if you have those mods that you listed.

Yes any car can be pushed to the limit with FUNCTIONAL modifications, but we are talking about strut bars here. In my opinion the XB doesn't need one for daily driving or whatever you do. The bar is designed to stiffen the front end, but with the strut towers being so close to the firewall I beleive that it is stiff enough for 90% of drivers out there. Yes there are going to be the other 10% of people who actually race their xb's, but once again they are going to be tuning their car accordingly. They'll dial in their spring rates, coilovers, front and rear sway bars, etc...etc..etc.. to all work together giving them the performace that they're looking for that day. The avergae joe who either is a daily driver or thinks he's a racer because he owns an import is not going to need a strut bar, or will he feel the difference.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did EK's start off as race cars? NOPE.

Are half the cars running at NOPI events meant to be race cars when they were first designed by FORD, CHEVY, HONDA, NISSAN, I CAN KEEP GOING? NOPE.

Or is it that the definition of a race car is a NASCAR, F1? What?

Who defines what a race car is?

I never mentioned anything about driving on highways. SID mentioned it, due to a previous post regarding the use of strut bars, and then he mentioned my username after.

The reason for my BOLD lettering, and the WORDING is so no one thinks that I would advise such NOOBlike activities.

OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND MY WRITING. OR CHOOSE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY WANT.

CAN WE REPEAT, CLOSEMINDED. LOL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a comment:
There is another long-term benefit to adding a strut tie bar. As the vehicle ages (hitting pot-holes, speed bumps, and every other unknown obsticle), it won't flex as much and thus, it will be less prone to developing some of the squeaks and rattles of other cars. It should also help to insure that the body lines stay just a little straighter in the long run.

In terms of driving, there isn't going to be a SOTP difference with the two. If you've been driving your car to it's limits, you'll be much more likely to appreciate the stiffness.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just a comment:
There is another long-term benefit to adding a strut tie bar. As the vehicle ages (hitting pot-holes, speed bumps, and every other unknown obsticle), it won't flex as much and thus, it will be less prone to developing some of the squeaks and rattles of other cars. It should also help to insure that the body lines stay just a little straighter in the long run.

In terms of driving, there isn't going to be a SOTP difference with the two. If you've been driving your car to it's limits, you'll be much more likely to appreciate the stiffness.
Thank you for your input. It is well said and proven.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Did EK's start off as race cars? NOPE.

Are half the cars running at NOPI events meant to be race cars when they were first designed by FORD, CHEVY, HONDA, NISSAN, I CAN KEEP GOING? NOPE.

Or is it that the definition of a race car is a NASCAR, F1? What?

Who defines what a race car is?

I never mentioned anything about driving on highways. SID mentioned it, due to a previous post regarding the use of strut bars, and then he mentioned my username after.

The reason for my BOLD lettering, and the WORDING is so no one thinks that I would advise such NOOBlike activities.

OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND MY WRITING. OR CHOOSE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY WANT.

CAN WE REPEAT, CLOSEMINDED. LOL.
Of course those companies didn't design the cars to become involved in a particular race scene, but over time it was the owners who invested into them to make them a perfomance vehicle. I don't know a lot on NOPI, but what I do understand is that they are an import performance parts company who started the NDRA. I'm not into that scene, so I don't know a lot about it, or care to. It's not becuase I'm closed minded it's because it's not my thing. Just as a don't care to know much about gay sex...it just not my thing :D (Sorry just backing up my statement with a rediculous fact that's not meant to offend anyone ). Growing up my pops has always been into cars/drag racing, and I spent almost every weekend at the local drag strips all throughout So.CA. (this was back in the 80's when there were quite a bit around here), so it's not a closemindedness towards racing....hell I love f1, cart, and Rally racing. I love XB's, and whatever style people want to do is cool. I love the VIP look/style, JDM is cool as is USMD. Hell the best is to mix the styles, so there is no closemindness going on here. I'm just biased towards slow and low. That's why I love the lowrider scene and dig appropiate styles (except mini-truck...ewwww)like VIP and rockabilly rods.

What is a race car???? I don't know how to define that exactly. In my opinion it is a high performance vehicle of ANY kind that is involved in some type of sanctioned racing. I don't think that any vehicle that is street legal is a race car. My problem with the import scene are the people who think they own a race car just because it's a *input any import name here* that has exhaust and headers.

Yes Sid did mention driving on highways saying that he DOESN'T drive on them like they're a roadcourse, but once again your BOLDED statement said it was OK to drive on the highway as if it was a street course if you had those mods you listed. Maybe go back and look it over again, or back to english class.

Ok done with this...and thanks to sciongeneration for posting benefits on having a strut bar. All valid input is valued.

·
Registered
426 Posts
:D [
Oh this is too funny. lol.

QUOTE=XBCreep;118858]Of course those companies didn't design the cars to become involved in a particular race scene, but over time it was the owners who invested into them to make them a perfomance vehicle. I don't know a lot on NOPI, but what I do understand is that they are an import performance parts company who started the NDRA. I'm not into that scene, so I don't know a lot about it, or care to. It's not becuase I'm closed minded it's because it's not my thing. Just as a don't care to know much about gay sex...it just not my thing :D (Sorry just backing up my statement with a rediculous fact that's not meant to offend anyone ). Growing up my pops has always been into cars/drag racing, and I spent almost every weekend at the local drag strips all throughout So.CA., so it's not a closemindedness towards racing....hell I love f1, cart, and Rally racing. I love XB's, and whatever style people want to do is cool. I love the VIP look/style, JDM is cool as is USMD. Hell the best is to mix the styles, so there is no closemindness going on here. I'm just biased towards slow and low. That's why I love the lowrider scene and dig appropiate styles (except mini-truck...ewwww)like VIP and rockabilly rods.

What is a race car???? I don't know how to define that exactly. In my opinion it is a high performance vehicle of ANY kind that is involved in some type of sanctioned racing. I don't think that any vehicle that is street legal is a race car. My problem with the import scene are the people who think they own a race car just because it's a *input any import name here* that has exhaust and headers.

Yes Sid did mention driving on highways saying that he DOESN'T drive on them like they're a roadcourse, but once again your BOLDED statement said it was OK to drive on the highway as if it was a street course if you had those mods you listed. Maybe go back and look it over again, or back to english class.

Ok done with this...and thanks to sciongeneration for posting benefits on having a strut bar. All valid input is valued.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
please don't post unless you have something that adds to the discussion. All you did was incorrectly quote me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.