Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 4 or 6 point cage to put in my 05....any suggestions????
I can buil one if I can only get plans, but it would be easyer to just put a prefab in....

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I'm curious...... what are the major mounting points for the Function USA rollbar? I noted they had it listed under "fashion"......... :confused:

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Up front, it appears to mount somewhere on the A pillar, and on the site, it shows mounting on the rear passenger selt belt upper mounting points. The rear hatch area doesn't even meet and the joint id the plexi sheet?

Most be for "looks" only. Could be more harmful in a collision.

The bends are cursh bent also, not very good for occupant protection. That's why roll bars and cages are mandrel bend and costly. No weak points due to crush bending.

But then again, what do I know. I'm no expert.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Don't like it, It is too skinny, looks like someone just ran some PVC pipe, and painted it. My opinion.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
admin said:
It does look a little thinner than the autopower cages but for 800 its probally cheaper to get some custom chromolly ones done at a local shop.

As far as stability its a huge improvement over factory. I had a rollbar in my 89 crx and i loved it...
What brand? Or was it custom built?

·
Registered
99 Posts
EVILDAVE said:
Anyone finds a good please let me know I've been thinking of doing this for quite a while now.
I have a buddy who builts custom nhra certified roll cages. (In other words, he is certified to build them.) He is pricie but just like anything else, you get what you paid for!

He is suppost to do one for my AE86 but he is recupperating from surgery, I believe he should be ready to go by the end of the month to my understanding.

If anyone is really interested in doing the real thing, give me a call and I'll try to get a hold of him and find out what exactly it would take to build one (LIke what panels exactly have to be removed and so forth...) and approximately how much.

LA

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Let's look at it this way. If you add a cage to your xB, you are adding steel to the interior that is already supposed to protect the occupants. If you have passengers in the back seat and they go sliding, when will more than likely have an impact w/ the cage. Sure you can add padding, but let's look at the big picture. Are you going to race your xB, is it for show points (what is that 1 additional point for the interior?), and do you plan on having others ride w/ you? Its fine for the driver if you have a fixed back seat w/ harnesses, but what about your other passengers? Plus the added weight of the cage.

I've thought about it also, but I want to survive a collison and know my passengers are safe, and not have to worry about additional injuries because of the cage. Plus I'm not into modding cars to be different and to gain that one extra point for trophies. My kids come first.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Looks like electrical conduit bent to fit and painted. "Fashion" as opposed to "function."

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
this might be what you are lookin' for. Still in it's first stages.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Padanky, that is great! :D

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
The real first Absolute Red!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.