Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new first-time owner without possession of the car yet, I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

Does Xb use independent rear suspension?

Was an All-Wheel Drive option ever offered?

Thank you!

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,196 Posts
Gen1 xBs do not have independent rear suspension; they are equipped with an axle beam. The beam vaguely resembles a wide swing arm, like an exaggerated wide motorcycle swing arm (excluding hardtail motorcycles). The Gen1 does not have a frame, and the beam attaches at two points to the unitized body.

I know nothing about the Gen2 xBs. My conjecture is their suspension would be an evolution of the Gen1.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
I wonder if anyone's drawn up a very detailed 3D CAD file of our toasters... Obviously Toyota/Scion did, but I haven't been able to find any really detailed model files that would be similar - would love to. Just to be able to see this swingarm design like you're describing. (I had no idea, but that's fascinating, especially since I'm a motorcycle guy as well)

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,696 Posts
Both the 1st and 2nd gen xBs use a rear torsion beam suspension. Inexpensive to make, relatively decent handling in stock form. It does have some drawbacks in terms of getting good handling out of the vehicle and creates toe problems when lowering the vehicle. But there are work arounds for solving some of it.

Here's a video the shows and explains the basic design.

Both also were offered with AWD in Japan, but not in the US or Canada. 1st gen never offered independent rear suspension. The 2nd gen did with the AWD Rumion in Japan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both the 1st and 2nd gen xBs use a rear torsion beam suspension. Inexpensive to make, relatively decent handling in stock form. It does have some drawbacks in terms of getting good handling out of the vehicle and creates toe problems when lowering the vehicle. But there are work arounds for solving some of it.

Here's a video the shows and explains the basic design.

Both also were offered with AWD in Japan, but not in the US or Canada. 1st gen never offered independent rear suspension. The 2nd gen did with the AWD Rumion in Japan.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate the diagram! System looks strong enough, similar to my old 1980 Fiesta. Never had a lick of trouble with rear design, but those cars (owned 3) ATE radiators!

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,196 Posts
... Both also were offered with AWD in Japan, but not in the US or Canada. 1st gen never offered independent rear suspension. The 2nd gen did with the AWD Rumion in Japan.
Thanks for the great information on the rear suspension!

The AWD version of the bB had the tailpipe on the left side. I used a lip from that model when I installed duals. The opening is slightly smaller than the xB right side outlet but close enough to be acceptable to me.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts