Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's going to be an instant deluge of 'get an xB!' but let me tell you guys what I'm looking for first:

I currently drive a 1999 Corolla with 105000 miles. I do about 14-16k miles per year, mostly highway. I'm looking to buy a new car that I can keep driving until it doesn't work any more (which is roughly what I've done with my current one). I really like the xB, I had a poke around one at my local dealer's last week and was amazed at its design. So much that I went home and told my wife that when I need to replace my current car (probably in the next year or so) I wanted an xB.

The problem is, the more I think about the cost of it, it seems less of a good deal: A local toyota dealer here (NE Ohio) is advertising new corolla CEs with some options for the same price as an auto xB. The corolla gets better milage, and has a bigger engine, so it's making the decision tough. Any insight from the clubxB'ers?

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you want something roomy & something that doesn't waste that much gas for being roomy, get the box. A box is much more comfortablle & roomier for passengers than most mini-vans & suvs & a Corolla.

Now, if you want more power & you don't really care about room, then get the Corolla. You're good either way. You will have to give up one thing for another.

In about 10 to 15 years from now, the xB will probably be some kind of valuable cult car, kinda like a VW Thing or an old Datsun 510 or an old Toyota Corolla. Those little cars in excellent condition can cost a pretty penny. I plan on buying the last 4.0 xB & keeping it in pristine condition for many years. (^o^ ) <3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My main concern with the box is longevity. They've only been around for a few years, and the corolla has been around forever. Has anyone put more than 100k miles on their box yet? Any major problems?

·
Registered
485 Posts
i can tell you that in 1 year i have put 25k on my box. This is a fairly decent mixture of highway and city driving. I have not had any problems with the car itself in most any way. It does great in the extreme cold (-15) and in the extreme heat (+115) that we have here in maryland throughout the seasons. The gas mileage is great...i get about 30-35 mpg. The big windshield and all of the windows definately make the box feel larger than it is. The seats are realllllly comfy and the car holds up really well inside and out. Overall the xB is a great car!

My last car was a corolla before i got the box, and i can tell ya, im really glad i got this car. I would never exchange it for anything. I wasnt really into car modding before this vehicle, but now im completely into it. Truly a fun, economical car for a great price that is amazing whether you are stock or a tuner

·
Registered
283 Posts
The box has the same motor as the Toyota Echo. Those cars have been pretty reliable. Most of those run forever, so I wouldn't see why the box would have any problems as long as you maintain it properly. ( ^_^)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think that the design itself, meaning the look of the vehicle, is what I love the most. It's resale value and future cult-car status are big points too, as well as the amazing roominess of it.

Go xB, go!

·
Registered
490 Posts
You want gas mileage?

Here's the numbers for every tank that my xB has run. Note the numbers after switching to synthetic oil. Is a Corolla going to do better? Does the Corolla have as much utility? Is the Corolla cool? No, no,and no. The only way you are going to get better mileage is to get a Civic or Fit(Honda guy here who has two Scions in his garage).

37.035 < switched to Mobil 1

You just can't beat Scion value for $$$.

·
Registered
176 Posts
as far as longevity the box first came out in 99 in Japan as the Toyota bB. that car is what we know as the 04 and up xB. the xB has the drivetrain from a toyota echo which has been around longer than the new corolla motor which came about in 2002-2003 i beleive. the current xB body style has lived from 1999(Japan) to 2007(expected final model year) while the Corolla's current form has lived from 2003 to 2007(rumored redesign for 2008). we have both a 2006 xB and a 2003 Corolla S. both cars have been great this far and i don't foresee any problems down the road with either vehicle.

you mentioned it was a CE, or Classic Edition. doesn't that come with manual windows and locks, and no keyless entry(without alarm upgrade). it also has those stylish black body-side mouldings that clash with all the shiny colors they offer.

if your main concern is highway fuel economy you should check out the Toyota Prius(+/- 50mpg), but if you want a uniquely-styled vehicle that is fun to drive you need an xB.

thats just my 2 cents on the whole thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info, it's been a great help. When is the xB redesign expected? I looked at toyota's japanese site and the new bB is hideous! Are they planning on making the US version look like that any time soon?

·
Registered
611 Posts
get a xB hehe...

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Well get the Xb .....Why buy something that will be like all the others; your Xb can have your personal touch.............Its a lifestyle not a car........

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
GET A BIG GAS GUZZLER MONSTER TRUCK 44" TIRES XBOR A PORCHE OR A VW OR DODGEXBOR A 78 FORD VAN

·
Registered
25 Posts
ChromiumSteel said:
You want gas mileage?

Here's the numbers for every tank that my xB has run. Note the numbers after switching to synthetic oil. Is a Corolla going to do better? Does the Corolla have as much utility? Is the Corolla cool? No, no,and no. The only way you are going to get better mileage is to get a Civic or Fit(Honda guy here who has two Scions in his garage).

37.035 < switched to Mobil 1

You just can't beat Scion value for $$$.
That's very impressive after your switch to Mobil 1.
I have never used Mobil 1 but if I buy an Xb I think my first oil change will include it now!
Anybody else seeing similiar results? I would think everyone on this forum would be doing the same if so.
I know they give you 3 free oil changes when a car purchase so I wonder how much credit they give you if you go this route? Are Mobile 1 oil changes expensive?

I currently own a 1999 Chevy Prizm (poor man's Corolla) with 135,000 miles.
Engine is still good (since it's a Toyota built) but the rest of the car is showing it's age (the GM part). I'm not even considering the Corolla. I'm sure it's a good car, but I want something else that's equally good, with more space, and cooler looking.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Yes we are in favor of the xB but seriously, it's a great deal and I do personally know of a driver that has over 100,000 miles. Newagestar from Scinergy So Cal just hit it a few weeks back. His still runs great! Go for it! xB all the way!!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
we are at 40,000 on the clock with not a prob! we are now getting 33 to 35 mpg depending on the driving, we use Valvoline oil and have a K&N Air Filter.

The box is great!! we haul people, we move people (try that in a carolla :) ), we haul bikes... it just hauls :p

Seriously, both are great cars (after all they are both made by Toyota), just depends on what you are looking for. Like was said before, if room isn't the issue then go for the Carolla... if it is then go for the xb. Side note... the xb is way more cool when modded ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
My answer......get the box...HOWEVER.....don't let the wife drive it or you will end up with 2!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've only had my xB since the 15th of September, but I can tell you it is the coolest, funnest, most looked at vehicle I have ever owned. My last trip to Fl. I got between 33-35 mpg. Great all around for the $$$. I normally keep a vehicle 3 or 4 years then get rid of them cause there tiring. That won't happen this time. All the vehicles I have ever owned, I haven't touched till they were out of warranty (for anything lights, cold air, anything). This one I have had for 3 months and have already started modding. LOVE IT!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.