Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just a quick question about the factory rear hatch spoiler for the XB. I decided not to get this option when I got my 2006 XB. But now I am thinking on getting it. So here is the question. I've noticed when it rains the rear window get's real dirty and I have to clean the rear window alot. So does any one that got their XB with the rear factory spoiler notice that thier rear window also get's dirty? or does the rear spoiler keep the dirt off ?

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
I love the look of the spoiler too, but as for keeping the window clean, let me know if you find something...lol Everey square backed vehicle I've ever owned has always been hard to keep the window clean.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
My Chevy S-10 Blazer actually stays cleaner when it rains but the angle of the spoiler is much sharper. The one on my Box just sits there and looks cool!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any vehicle that is shape like the xB, with a flat rear end, is going to get really dirty back there. It's just the aerodynamics of the deal.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
On the one of the two Jeep Cherokees I had, the optional 'air deflector' at the rear was designed and sold to split off a thin curtain of air that was going over the roof and re-direct it to go down the rear window.

This actually did work to prevent a lot of the dirt/dust/muck sucked up from the road and under the car from swirling into the vacuum behind the vehicle and plating itself onto the window.

In direct comparison between those two rectangular vehicles, the one without the deflector ALWAYS had a dirty rear window, the one with did not. :)

The optional rear 'spoiler' for the xB does not appear designed for this effect at all, but more to give a clean break to the flow along the surface to reduce the vacuum behind the vehicle and therefore to reduce aerodymanic drag (by providing a sharp break in the trailing edge, and a slightly 'concave' rear shape so the the airflow has to break cleanly rather then trying to follow the surface - basically a Kamm tail).

All in all, though, the xB spoiler seems more 'fashion' than 'function.'

(The deflector on the Jeep didn't even pretend to be 'pretty' or 'aerodynamic' - it had one function, and that was to keep the window clear at the cost of some additional drag.)

·
Registered
949 Posts
the back of the xb is just like having a truck the tail gate and bumper get so much road grime on it it's kinda nasty after you have taken a very long trip the whole backend is black...

·
Registered
219 Posts
We have 2 xBs, one with the spoiler and one without. I notice very little difference with the spoiler although if you are dong highway speed, it does divert some air downward, at least to the top of the rear window. Unfortunately, you cannot always drive at highway speed so sooner or later you're going to get dirt on the rear when you slow down.

I've taken to keeping paper towels and a bottle of window cleaner in the back of the car - better than the spoiler and the wiper blade (which is virtually useless.)

·
Registered
762 Posts
i have the fab spoiler which is crazy long and my back window gets dirty as hell, which i am not surprised. the turbulance under that thing must be crazy. but yeah, no matter what, the back window is going to get dirty. thats why i left my wiper on! :p

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have the fab CF spoiler and that ish seems to become more dirty in the back now. I have wash it off every morning. Definitly a big difference in drag effectivness. Car also seems to handle a lot better on the highway and high rates of speed :cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
I have the fab CF spoiler and that ish seems to become more dirty in the back now. I have wash it off every morning. Definitly a big difference in drag effectivness. Car also seems to handle a lot better on the highway and high rates of speed :cool:

I have the same spoiler on my vehicle as well. :D I love it. I had the OEM spoiler too, and I like the fab better.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
excitebox said:
i have the fab spoiler which is crazy long and my back window gets dirty as hell, which i am not surprised. the turbulance under that thing must be crazy. but yeah, no matter what, the back window is going to get dirty. thats why i left my wiper on! :p
Yeah, its from what little increase of negative pressure back there. I'll wash my car and less than a mile later, the back window looks like it wasn't even cleaned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.