Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Scion xB
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time xB owner here (2014 model) - just starting to explore the world of mods. One big priority is a roof rack to transport a couple of kayaks.

Most common style of rack seems to be those with external clamps/feet. Makes sense.

But I have this idea that in the long run, maybe it would be better to have some roof rails permanently installed. There are so many aftermarket crossbars and racks/etc that can attach to factory-style rails, since they come with many other vehicles. I like the idea of avoiding vendor lock in. I don't want something like a Thule flat rail installed and then have to use only Thule components.

I asked a couple of local rack shops but they seem geared to selling their own products and "systems". But there is no way I am drilling into my roof myself - not my area of expertise.

So I would need to (a) source some kind of rails that are like typical factory style rails, and (b) someone experienced to install them.

Am I making too much trouble for myself vs just buying the temporary racks with feet?

PS. Located in SoCal area.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
177 Posts
Hi Beagle.

I'm in your same boat - not wanting to drill holes in my roof, but definitely want to add a roof rack at some point, and leave it on.

I don't know the answer. There are pros and cons to both.

Are you planning on running your xB into the ground, or re-selling it at some point? I'll probably go with bolt-on when & if I add one, just for the non-permanence of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed roof rack and rails for kayak transport on my '06 xB and transferred them to my '12 xB. Just had to change the clamps (and sold the original on Craiglist). They still work great. Don't overthink it.

·
Registered
2014 Scion xB
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed roof rack and rails for kayak transport on my '06 xB and transferred them to my '12 xB. Just had to change the clamps (and sold the original on Craiglist). They still work great. Don't overthink it.
Cool, good to hear. What model rack setup are you using?

·
Registered
1 Posts
First time xB owner here (2014 model) - just starting to explore the world of mods. One big priority is a roof rack to transport a couple of kayaks.

Most common style of rack seems to be those with external clamps/feet. Makes sense.

But I have this idea that in the long run, maybe it would be better to have some roof rails permanently installed. There are so many aftermarket crossbars and racks/etc that can attach to factory-style rails, since they come with many other vehicles. I like the idea of avoiding vendor lock in. I don't want something like a Thule flat rail installed and then have to use only Thule components.

I asked a couple of local rack shops but they seem geared to selling their own products and "systems". But there is no way I am drilling into my roof myself - not my area of expertise.

So I would need to (a) source some kind of rails that are like typical factory style rails, and (b) someone experienced to install them.

Am I making too much trouble for myself vs just buying the temporary racks with feet?

PS. Located in SoCal area.
I have a set of Rhino-rack. They go on and off easily, are perfectly quiet on the road, and haven't affected my mpgs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts