Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RS3.0 is on the way, and now I'm considering tinting the front side windows. Is it better to do this through the dealership, or through another company? Also, if the car has already left port for the dealership, is it too late to order tint? Finally, what percentage is the tint on the rear windows on the xb, in case I need to inquire about tinting the front side windows to match (in case I have to have a window tinting place do it). I'd actually love to have them all tinted a bit darker, but that's probably too expensive.

Thanks so much for your help!

Susan

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
a search would have shown that the fronts are right at about 20% to match the rears. Its better to do it through someone else, as thats what the dealership would likely do anyway. Most dont tint in house. They contract out and then charge you more. They wont tint at port. Its local that it happens.

Hope this helps

Scotty

·
Registered
454 Posts
I hope this helps a little more, the reply post before this was pretty much right on. Just to let you know. When I had my front windows tinted I got 20% done. They look a hair darker on the front though. If I remember correctly I think the front windows have a very super light tint on them already. I didn't notice it until after my brother and I finished tinting the windows and his wife said that the front look a little darker up front. It's not really noticable but after staring at it for a while she was right. One word of advice though. I have the ventshade window visors on my xB also, and between the tint the vent visors and the weather around here in Maryland the windows get scratched around the channels at the top of the windows. The best thing to do is if you end up getting ventvisors, either get the ESAM JDM ones or make sure to clean your windows a lot.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
all tint brands vary slightly. but 20 is whaty the rears are equivelent to. if you put 20% over the rear privacy glass they become equivelent to 5%

·
Registered
485 Posts
i just had my front 2 windows done to 15% high performance glass and i can honestly say they look pretty much equal to the back side window tint.....i cant tell the difference between the two, and im kinda OCD about stuff like that

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
backseatchris said:
well...the legal window tint in maryland is 35% :p

maryland is pretty strict too
ok i only hate you a little bit then!:D

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Here is 5% over factory and 20% on the front driver and passenger window.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
5% over stock is pitch black.

hey yellow sub brad's a cop he could get away with it no matter what. well almost. lol

but you can tint the rear windows as dark as u like and be legal yellow sub. but front curtains are illegal too.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
i know brads an officer. i also know curtains are illegal. but at least with curtains you can just slide them open quickly if ya need to

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
yellow_sub said:
we have strict tint laws here in cali so i'm stuck with stock tint. thats why i got curtains!!!

Yes, I was wondering why nobody else seemed much concerned about tinted front windows! I would love to tint mine darker, but I have this fear of police ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
It shouldn't be very expensive...the shop I'm using is doing it for like...$150, 5% all the way around and a strip on the windshield. Lifetime warantee, naturally.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your input! In Louisiana the law is 40% front side windows, 25% rear side windows, and 12% back window. It looks like I'll just end up doing the front side windows to 40% and the strip along the windshield. Depending on price, I MIGHT go ahead and do the back window to 12% so the kids can watch dvd's in the back seat without the sun disturbing them. Unfortunately most of the tint places in my area are GONE due to Katrina, so I'll have to call around in neighboring areas. I'll do that once my 3.0 gets here. I'm so excited!

·
Registered
485 Posts
maryland law is that none of the windows in front or behind the driver can be tinted below 35%, unless the ones behind the driver came from factory, cuz then it can be as dark as you want. the loophole is that most cops arent xB experts so i can just lie and get away with 15% all the way around. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the great NorthEast it againt the law to have any tint on the front windows; anything past the B pillar.

I paid around 200$ to get my rears done with 20% and have my fronts done in limo. The black is consistant through the center section and breaks up the orange.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.