Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a bit more streamlining in the design, will the '08s still be referred to as boxes? Will the 1st gen owners keep that moniker jealously guarded? If so, what will the '08s be known as?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love my box!

damn straight im jealously guarding my box, my monki too. :p 08 used2B box looks like a wanna be chevy HRish. more suvish. no thanks. viva la box! I am secretly happy that the 2008 looks less boxy...makes me feel mo special in a squared up kinda way. :cool:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The original xB Classic is a box.

The xB2 is not.

The xB2 is more like a compact "mothership" (soccer mom with 2.3 kids and a dog), and looks more like the average van, but slightly smaller and without the sliding doors.

*I* own a box, a small, cubical, square cornered, UUV (Urban Utility Vehicle), a "City Car." The stretched, rounded, longer, wider, lower, more power, complete redesign is a tC station wagon, not a box.

I guess I'm rather obviously a proud first generation box owner, and when one completely redesigns the product so it no longer meets any of the criteria that made the original obviously a "BOX," it is no longer a box.

Maybe when the xB3 comes out in another three years...

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
The 08 will always be known as the xB2 to me. They shoulda changed the name for it, really. It's not what the xB is. You see, the xB=bB and that's how it shoulda stayed. Though I am no longer the buyer Scion wants, since I already have one, it will cater to whomever buys it.

However, is xB=bB, then new xB should also = new bB. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
the '08 xB should change its name to xE. LOL!!! :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
One of the local guys out here is working on gettting some new rear emblems made for those who want 'em...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I feel bad! It wasn't my intention to start a thread that is so negative towards the xB2 in the xB2 forum. I simply wanted to hash out what we're going to call 'em.

·
3,453 Posts
I wouldn't consider everything stated as mean, but it's a very critical subject, with a lot of input from many people of many walks of life.

We're just heavy critics, that's all. lol

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I also wish they had named the new car xC or something else.

But for reasons passing understanding they didn’t.

Just because the execs at Scion screwed up we shouldn’t take it out on the new owners.

Perhaps we can do what the VWs do?

They have Beatles & Bugs to differentiate between the original and new generations.

xB2 is a bit of a mouth full.

There must be something better.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I totally agree with Tomas. I don't hate the new xb but it's much more than an evolvement of the origanal and they should have called it something else. I stated in another thread that I am so disappointed they are calling this an xb that I'm thinking of getting bB emblems to replace my xb emblems. After all, the xb is the american version and vision of the bB. Ideally, we should have gotten the new japanese bB. I also agree that the new version leaves lovers of the classic xb a void. rbarrett

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Just for completeness:

XA - Scion xA - copy of JDM "ist" sub-compact 5 door hatchback
XB - Scion xB - copy of JDM "bB" sub-compact urban utility vehicle
XC - Volvo owns this designation so the coupé was called the tC
XD - Scion xD - replacement for the original Scion xA
XE - Seems to be available
XF - Seems to be available
XG - Seems to be available
XH - Seems to be available
etc.

However, the choice has already been made, and Scion decided to call the new compact station wagon the "xB" to capitalize on the name recognition of the original xB. No matter how much this upsets owners of the original xB, it is the way things are. It's a "done deal."

We should be nice to the new xB2 owners, it is not their fault, and they ARE a part of the Scion family. At the same time, I, at least, plan to let Scion Corporate know how much I dislike the usurpation of the xB name for the new tC station wagon to garner additional sales based on name recognition at EVERY chance I get.

The xB2 is not a box. It's simply a small mom-van without sliding doors, or a small 2WD pseudo-SUV. It looks like it should be something from Saturn or Subaru.

OK, OK, I need to take a few deep breaths and just ignore this. Thing is, as soon as someone with an xB2 comes up to me and says they have one of the new boxes or new xBs, I will have a very difficult time smiling benignly at them. Sadly, my response will probably be something like "Nice van, but it's not a box."

*Quiet Tom. Nobody wants to hear this*
OK, I'll shut up.
*Good! This isn't getting anyone anywhere.*
Yeah, I know, but I'm still pissed at the Scion Marketeers.
*sigh*

I'm outta here. :(

·
3,453 Posts
OK, OK, I need to take a few deep breaths and just ignore this. Thing is, as soon as someone with an xB2 comes up to me and says they have one of the new boxes or new xBs, I will have a very difficult time smiling benignly at them. Sadly, my response will probably be something like "Nice van, but it's not a box."

*Quiet Tom. Nobody wants to hear this*
OK, I'll shut up.
*Good! This isn't getting anyone anywhere.*
Yeah, I know, but I'm still pissed at the Scion Marketeers.
*sigh*
LMAO! Tomas. Buddy. Pal. Dude! Pal. I love your ways on the net man. Refreshing and entertaining! I'm with you 100% on the van thing, I'll probably get my lights punched out for telling a new xB owner they own a MILF-mobile.. ahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.