Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my xB I also stupidly bought the 3M protection film that covers the headlights & side mirrors <insert pointing & laughing here>. Now that I want to clear my headlights, can I still use the "bake" method for removing the cover? Will it melt the film & create & horrible mess of my lights? If anyone's tried it let me know, thanks!

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
I would not point and laugh, I wish I had gotten the film....

when in doubt, use the break method, not the bake method.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when in doubt, use the break method, not the bake method.

lol...true. If I "accidentally" brake them it's a good excuse to go buy the halogen projectors I really want.

·
Registered
485 Posts
lol dont accidently break them. Break out the corners and sell the headlights to get the projectors. Cleared corner headlights are worth more money than stock

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
LOL, yeah, thats what I was talking about. The one where you use a screwdriver to break out the reflectors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, thanks dudes! Ummm... so now my next question is "what is the break method?" I haven't seen a post on that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
get a flathead screwdriver. stick it in the turn signal hole. and smash the reflector into small enouigh pieces so u can shake them out. uhh yea.

·
Banned
130 Posts
It might not be so easy. I began that mod with the break method, and ended it with the oven.

Either way, it'll look great when it's finished. Good luck!

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
Wrap your screw driver in a thin towel, and stick it in the turn signal hole at an angle, make sure the tip is securly anchored in one of the grooves and hit it with a hammer, I recommend breaking it close to the lense first, then pop the reflector out of the casing using the screwdriver.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I also tried the Break method first, ended up scratching the lens a little. Didn't scratch it with the screw driver, scratched it with the plastic pieces. Stopped and baked them and it was so much easier. I have baked headlights a few times before so I did have experiance.

The 3m film might be oK as long as you don't scratch it, it will probably be super soft!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Since you'll have to put the headlights lens down to remove the backing I would avoid using the oven method. As Padanky says the film will surely be softened by the heat and placing it on anything will mar the film. If you take your time with the break n pray method you should be OK. Just a hint, place a rag as close as you can to the reflector before you break it to help avoid the pieces scratching the lens.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice all! I just got finished & I went with the break method. I ended up using a really sharp chisel & VERY light tapping with a hammer. I scratched the right lens in just one small spot, but otherwise it turned out to be fairly quick & easy. I also removed the ugly pig nose Scion emblem while I had the grill off, any suggestions to replace it with?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
ThunderGod said:
i did the dremel method w/ extended drill bit.
And we haven't head about this before....why? :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.