Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really considering buying a Scion xB. I have never owned a new car and was planning on buying used until I saw the price on a new one of these. I've heard great reviews as I've researched it so far, but I was wondering if anyone has bought one who has a very steep driveway. I'm worried that with it being low, it would scrape like quite a few other cars can. Does anyone have any expereince with this?

I'm also looking for any general insight on what this car is like. I teach part time at 2 different community colleges and the small car would be great for parking on campus. However, one drive is on a long country road and we get some rough winters. I'd love to hear from someone about how it might handle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Gets through rough winters JUST fine. Gets over country roads and handles them just fine. No, you wont be too low. My driveway is pretty damn steep, and if you go at an angle, you can do anything, trust me.

My fender-apex to ground is 22.5, so i would be willing to bet only a couple of cars on this site have a lower ground clearance than me, and thats with me and my kit too. Youll be fine stock or even lowered 2"s.

scotty

·
Registered
86 Posts
As Scotty said, it can handle the rough winters. In fact, sometimes it's just fun trying to skid on purpose (snow, not ice) just to watch the ABS and traction control kick in to see the lights dim!

But if you're concerned about scraping, I think the xB's tires' proximity to the bumpers is much shorter than something massive, like a Cadillac or Buick. It's not like you have an extra foot of a trunk to bump against the driveway. That sound right to you physics/mechanics people?

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
i scraped the front lip because i was exiting my school's driveway pretty fast. ouch :(

so yeah, if you drive slow enough to get through the steep driveway, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had mine at stock height for 5 months now. Never scraped anything at all. I just lowered mine last night with a 2 inch drop. The springs haven't completely settled in but I took it on a scrape test, found the worst gutters I could find and hit them going 10-15 mph to see if I'd catch the ground. never did. It's still got good ground clearance. The way the bumbers are made, it just looks close to the ground.

·
Registered
194 Posts
you should be good to go... we got 24"s of snow here after we bought ours and even going down an unplowed road with snow scrapping the bottom of the xb we went right through with no problem. Like was previously said, the over hangs are real short, so you should be ok with the steep drive also.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The wheels are so close the the front and to the back that there is not a lot of vehicle hanging out to get caught on something. This makes it ideal to even lower without having problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
as with anything though, common sense needs to be observed :) , but speed bumps should not be a problem either... unless the parking lot is REAL serious about speeding and installs 12" or 18" high speed bumps and your're new to the lot and drive like 40 mph, then that might become a problem LOL

seriously though, they shouldn't be a prob

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took a test drive today with just my family (no room for the salesperson). We got to go anywhere we wanted.
I took it around my neighborhood and parked on couple of couple of semi steep driveways I use on a regular basis.
My Prizm scrapes , but not the xB. It came close but no scrapes. Another Xb test passed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
This upcoming week should be the week I put money down. It's hard to find a car that the entire family agrees upon (including 70 year old in-laws who got to sit in it). I figure I better get it now before it's too late. Too much speculation out there on the next version.
I don't need it to be any bigger in size, a bigger engine, worse gas mileage, and a bigger price. I only wish I could get curtain airbags which I'm sure the next version will have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.