Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1


First off, I was unsure whether I should've posted this under wheels&tires or under here.. but I think this would be the right place to put it.. anyways.. here's the situation.. I'm running Sportmax 962s Staggered.. 18x7.5 in the front & 18x8.5 in the rear w/ all four tires wrapped in 215/35/18 tires.. and I also have OTG's Rear Spacer Shims.. and recently added a Progress Lowering Springs with the 2" all the way around.. and the problem is.. when I have 2 people in the back weighing from 200-300lbs.. when i hit potholes.. i get this big CLANK noise in the rear.. it sounds as if i have like my spare tire loose and its bouncing up and down.. well anyways.. I got out of the car and checked out what it was and.. it turns out to be that the body of the car in the rear.. is slamming onto the tire every time I hit a bump/pothole.. and you can see on the tire.. that the thread on the side is peeling off.. it's like little pieces of thread.. well anyways.. i was just wondering if I added some camber on the rear section if it would solve this problem.. Thanks a bunch guys!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
528 Posts
I am not a master of knowledge But I believe that adding the camber would'nt help your situation. Might need to look into some different suspension. That's my two cents but I hope that another member is able to help you out alot more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MussBus said:
I am not a master of knowledge But I believe that adding the camber would'nt help your situation. Might need to look into some different suspension. That's my two cents but I hope that another member is able to help you out alot more.
ya.. i was thinking about that too.. but that 2" drop looks SOOO CLEAN.. :) if not i'll probably change my springs to something that'll give me a 1-1.5" drop..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
528 Posts
Let me know if you do and I might be interested in the springs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MussBus said:
Let me know if you do and I might be interested in the springs!
alright.. :) .. i shall let u know.. and i only put about 20 miles on 'em bcuz i turned around and took my civic out ever since I started rubbing..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
sidewall tread or , normal tread. if its sidewall its rubbing on inner fender and camber would work. if not then ur drop is too low for those wheels
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
Shoot a PM to Squirrel. He was running the exact set-up on his box. Check with Matty as well, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the brave little toaster said:
sidewall tread or , normal tread. if its sidewall its rubbing on inner fender and camber would work. if not then ur drop is too low for those wheels
sidewall thread.. :) .. yay! camber! i wanted to get some OTG's Rear Camber Shims :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DTRAIN619 said:
Shoot a PM to Squirrel. He was running the exact set-up on his box. Check with Matty as well, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
I haven't seen Squirrel around in a while and Ill go ahead and send them a PM.. thanks Dion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
546 Posts
i know that matty guy has similar rims and he is runing a camber in the back and I believe he also has his rear fenders rolled....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
fender rolling is also needed. our team member is running the same model and size wheels. he also did some gridning too.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The yellow arrow indicates where it is rubbing and where the thread wear occurs.. :)

Thanks again guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
oh yea. same problem he had. but he drove all the way to tracy =). we took out a bunch of stuff from his car to lighten it up lets just say for the ride home =)
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
I have 8.5s also, but Matty was running 9.5s. You can either run camber or roll the rear fender lips. You jjust have to be careful how much you put in back if you chhose not to roll the fenders. I'm not running the OTG rear spacers either, just camber plates.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
squirrel said:
I have 8.5s also, but Matty was running 9.5s. You can either run camber or roll the rear fender lips. You jjust have to be careful how much you put in back if you chhose not to roll the fenders. I'm not running the OTG rear spacers either, just camber plates.




being the newbie that i am.. h0w w0uld u exactly.. "roll the fenders" .. and what would be a decent amount of camber without doing TOO much..
 

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
Joined
·
3,841 Posts
I have a fender rolling tool that folds the fender lip up and out of the way. e dgrees of negative is a pretty condervative setting for everyday driving while still having better handling, response, and a decent amount of tire wear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Why not just ditch the spacers. That would save you time and money, and I'm sure you could find a buyer on here real quick for those bad boys. That 10mm is where you are getting your rub from. It would still have the staggered look with the larger lip in the rear. JMo though, cuz i dont dig the -5 camber deal :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
squirrel said:
I have a fender rolling tool that folds the fender lip up and out of the way. e dgrees of negative is a pretty condervative setting for everyday driving while still having better handling, response, and a decent amount of tire wear.
could you point me a direction on where to get a decent camber? or would I run to OTG for their -3 degree camber? I LOVE the look of camber :)
 

·
Egistered Ruser
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
Why not just ditch the spacers. That would save you time and money, and I'm sure you could find a buyer on here real quick for those bad boys. That 10mm is where you are getting your rub from. It would still have the staggered look with the larger lip in the rear. JMo though, cuz i dont dig the -5 camber deal :D
yeah like me, lemme know if you decide to ditch the OTGs :D
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top