Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if any of you with aftermarket wheels are experiencing this. With wider thatn stock wheels or wider and taller wheels with a spring drop, etc...is it expected that road noise/bumps, sqeeks, etc...will be felt more?

I've also experienced (and read about) that wider rims with unidirectional tires will track more when encountering roads with grooves and stuff in them.

ANyone else expereince this?

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I definitely get more raod noise w/ wider tires, and w/ lower profile tires, I feel more of the imperfections on the road surface. For commuting, I'm going back to 17s, maybe even 16s or 15s. For events, I'll have the 18s on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
squirrel said:
I definitely get more raod noise w/ wider tires, and w/ lower profile tires, I feel more of the imperfections on the road surface. For commuting, I'm going back to 17s, maybe even 16s or 15s. For events, I'll have the 18s on.
Same here. I have 19's and bags. road waves do cuff my steering. like I said b4, I can feel a dixie cup when I roll over one. Seriously considering 17's or smaller. Right now im sporting 15's for the winter weather and loving it.

They are ugly chromies but work real well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's my expereince:

Stock WHeels/suspension: Good ride...not much road noise but definitely more than my wifes RX.

Stock wheels, s-techs......they say it's a better ride, but for me...seemed to be more stiff.

S-techs, 15" buddy clubs (15x6.5) 205/50/15 handled better, felt more stable on and off the freeway, more road noise, stiff ride

S-techs, 3 bent buddy club rims..............felt like driving on gravel! terrible!

S-techs, 2 bent buddy clubs, rebalanced...a little better...

S-techs, 18x8 wheels, 205/35/18 tires.......tracked all over the place. Inconsistencies in the road made the car steer by itself. Road noise increased 50%!

S-techs, 15x8 wheels stetched 205/50/15's....road noise lessened, but the ride is rough and car likes to track the road......car handles like a go-cart..on rails, but the ride is rough.!

LOL I think the best in terms of "ride" was STOCK!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Same as above. I have 18's and they Are really bumpy, and they will pull you around the road, if uneven. The Tein S-Tech's did make the ride better, but still rough. And yes more road noise as well.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I don't know how much camber contributes to it, but when I started w/ the 18s, it was definitely louder, and the car tracks w/ the rain grooves on the surface because of the camber also.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
youthinasia said:
I'm thinking about getting the camber shims....love the look, but man, as a daily driver, i'm wondering if all the looks and stuff are worth it; rough ride, possible increased tire wear, rattling sounds.....................yes it'sworth it! lol
LOL, yeah I think its worth it also.

That's why I have another set for an xA that I plan on building. I have all of the suspension, tires, wheels, lip kit, iSt grille, all iSt badging, Toyota Japan steering wheel that has the Toyota T emblem on the airbag cover, cf hood, cf fuel door lid, fog lights, OEM rear spoiler, bumper scuff plate, and a bunch of other parts too. Just no ICE yet.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I definitely appreciate everone's input on this issue. I just got my 2006 Blue Onyx Pearl xB a month ago, and I got the stock 15s with the plastic hubcaps, mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted for wheels.

I immediately noticed that everyone on here seems to have these huge wheels, and I started wondering if I was some kind of fool with these little bitty tires and wheels.......so, again, I appreciate the honesty. That's why I like this site.

I'm thinking of just getting those 15 inch Scion rims that say "Scion" in the middle...any other cheapo suggestions that would look cool?

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
hubbard said:
I definitely appreciate everone's input on this issue. I just got my 2006 Blue Onyx Pearl xB a month ago, and I got the stock 15s with the plastic hubcaps, mainly because I wasn't sure what I wanted for wheels.

I immediately noticed that everyone on here seems to have these huge wheels, and I started wondering if I was some kind of fool with these little bitty tires and wheels.......so, again, I appreciate the honesty. That's why I like this site.

I'm thinking of just getting those 15 inch Scion rims that say "Scion" in the middle...any other cheapo suggestions that would look cool?
I ran stockers for a couple weeks, nothing wrong w/ that!

I know some peeps that take the covers off and run trim rings.

Believe me, not too many of us had our xBs looking the way it does currently when we bought them. I think I've changed the look more than a few times, and I'm on my fourth set of tires and wheels.

Modding is a constant evolution!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Well, I've noticed that everyone with 18's or larger plan to get smaller rims. I'm still rolling on 17's, tracks good, road noise is about the same as the '00 Celica I had, and it was on the stock 16's. Plus the box handles turns/curves much better than the Celica ever did, and all I've changed on it is the springs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Squirrel:

what are trim rings? anyone have a pic?

I'm going to a Scion rally type deal at my dealership soon so I'm hoping to get some good ideas.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
They're also called "beauty rings." It's exactly that - a chrome ring that fits inside your steelies (think hot rods.) I'll check to see if I might have a pic also.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I ran trim rings for about a month I will take some pics of them tonight, OFF OF THE CAR.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Hubbard, I think you can get them at Autozone, Pep Boys, Kragen and the like. I'll see if I can track down pics of Tesh's BSP xB.

Hey, check out Resolve's xB, he has them.

Click me.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts