Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Sorry to hear about your windshield. I look like a moron sometimes on the freeway trying to avoid the gravel trucks. I chringe everytime I hear a "tink" on the windshield. Some insurance companies offer a windshield policy that has a much lower deductable amount than your regular policy.

This is taken from insurance.com:

Broken windshields and other glass are typically covered under the comprehensive coverage portion of an auto insurance policy. Comprehensive generally provides coverage for physical damage to your vehicle caused not by a collision with an object or another vehicle, but by a variety of other specific perils. This type of coverage is optional in most states and, if purchased, will usually raise your premium and carry deductibles. It may or may not be cost effective, depending on the value of your vehicle.

So, if your windshield is broken but you don't have comprehensive coverage, the cost of replacing it may not be covered by your auto insurance. If you do have comprehensive, the cost probably will be covered, but to what extent depends on the details of your particular policy. Comprehensive coverage is broken down into the different items or perils covered under this section of the policy (e.g., fire, water, theft, etc.). Each is listed separately in the contract and is usually subject to its own deductible, which can often be adjusted up or down. Glass coverage is included as one part of comprehensive, but (unlike the other items covered under comprehensive) typically comes without a deductible. This means that, if your car windshield is damaged or destroyed and needs to be replaced; your auto insurance company will pay the entire bill.

You can usually attach a deductible to your glass coverage if you wish, in which case you would have to contribute a certain amount out of your own funds toward the cost of replacing your windshield. However, while adding a deductible to your glass coverage may be one way to cut your auto insurance costs, it's generally not advisable to do so. For example, if you put a $250 deductible on your glass coverage, you'll end up footing half the cost when your $500 windshield breaks. Whatever amount you save on your premium will probably be more than offset by that out-of-pocket deductible.

·
Registered
220 Posts
HeyDodgergirl do you ever go up the 15 towards victorville area . I think I have seen you a few times . Do you drive a box?

·
Registered
546 Posts
yea Ive had 2 rockchips on my windshield....not pretty to look at but at least my windshield isnt as bad yours...but really that does suck...I hate these freeways....

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
yeah dont feel so bad mine got cracked in three places plus ive bent two wheels on the damn LA freeways. how much did you get quoted on a windsheild I paid like $170. installed:eek:

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hahaha this is off-topic but I just saw your signature line.... LMAO :p

Bring it to the SE SD show and we'll trade you a buncha junk for it! hehehe!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow thats crappy luck. i have a small "star" type one from a stone almost the size of a dime in the top right hand corner of my windshield, ur not alone, these windshields are thin.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice... I still haven't decided what to do. I'll see what's up with my insurance & Pat, I'll PM you in a sec... BTW this happened in a construction zone and I was told the DOT has claim forms for damage to your vehicle because of the conditions of the roads... has anyone every taken that route???

surfcitylocal said:
I chringe everytime I hear a "tink" on the windshield.
OMG TAZ, I do the same thing... it hurts!!! I have flashbacks of the first time it happend, my baby wasn't even a week old!!!

SMOKINXB said:
HeyDodgergirl do you ever go up the 15 towards victorville area . I think I have seen you a few times . Do you drive a box?
A few times, but not that often... my grandma lives in Adelanto and a few friends live in the IE, I visit sometimes... and YES I drive a box, here is the newest picture of him:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
lookin good there! sorry about your windsheild. that kinda stuff can get expensive. i had my galss switched over to my new hatch and it cost $145!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
www.safelite.com has it for $202...

Safelite Regular Price: $521.81
Sizzling Summer Savings: 61% Off
Your Price: $202.37 (not including taxes)

Your vehicle may require the installation of moldings and accessories at an additional cost of $34.51.

This quote includes a national warranty that is good for as long as you own or lease your vehicle.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
sorry to hear that DodgerGirl...

yes its true about DOT claims... my uncle used to work for the city and he did say before that whenever you damage your car due to any road crap that aint supposed to be there or just any thing like construction crap you can file for a claim and the city will pay for the repair... i knew someone before that actually did it and he was able to get new set of rims - damn those metal plates and uneven roads...

try this... http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/claims/

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, i know how you feel... my windshiled had huge crease 3 weeks after the purchase.....

I have comprehensive on my insurance coverage with $100 deductible and my isurance rate will not go up even if i have to replace the windshield everyweek.

Ultimately, I found a place where they do not charge $100 deductible and replaced the windshield for free... :)

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
thats suck Jen. good luck on getting that window replaced. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
daramg said:
Yeah, i know how you feel... my windshiled had huge crease 3 weeks after the purchase.....

I have comprehensive on my insurance coverage with $100 deductible and my isurance rate will not go up even if i have to replace the windshield everyweek.

Ultimately, I found a place where they do not charge $100 deductible and replaced the windshield for free... :)
What insurance co did you have? do you have now?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have State Farm but every auto insurance offer comprehensive coverage... i believe... Check your insurance company for your coverage and also look for a windshiled company (a reputable one) that doesn't require $100 deductable...

I got a coupon from these valu-pak coupon mailers and found this company who comes to your house and replaces the windshiled without deductable...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.