Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Usually it is due to the radiator fan turning on. The current draw kicks the alternator output up which puts more load on the engine. When it turns off the load reduces. either of which will effect the engine idle. Same thing when the A/C compressor kicks on on off as well.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Your sensor could be bad.....

In either case, if it's damaged, it's a good couple hundred bones to replace.

My car also idles differently here and there, although with my exhaust it sounds pretty cool. I asked one of the guys at the dealership, and he said the same thing as one stated above, it's mostly current draw, but nothing to affect the life of the motor.

Rest assured, your car is fine, and it sounds neat too.

·
3,453 Posts
You say it's the intake that has made this happen.

I'm no auto wizard, and I don't claim to be, but I know the CEL is because of that. You really should have the car looked at.

·
3,453 Posts
CEL = Check Engine Light.

Please explain by what you mean that your intake is 'jacked'

Are you not using a filter? Is it a custom home-made intake?

·
3,453 Posts
Just a good snippet of info: When timfiredog and I installed my ScionFX intake, we let the motor idle for awhile. I can't remember exactly what was said, since this was a year ago, but something about letting the MAF sending the info to the ECU.....I think it has something to do with how the computer reads the airflow, since it's a larger and more straight-through intake, something about having to adapt how the computer sends the info for the mixture.....Again, I can't remember, but I've never seen a CEL, and I've changed my intake from cold air to short ram numerous times under that practice.

·
3,453 Posts
How many miles are on your xB?
If you're getting VSC and TCS problems, who knows what else could be wrong. The computer could be bad on your car.

If you want to fix the CEL, that is a possible solution.

Like I said earlier, I do not claim to know all when it comes to the 1nz-fe motor, or how it works, just what I have read on other forums, and what people have told me. I am also not a mechanic, just because I haven't had any issues doesn't mean I won't later on. I am only trying to be as helpful as I can to you, to help solve some problems.

You can always try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for awhile, and then reconnecting it. I hear that lets the computer 'refresh' itself or something.

·
3,453 Posts
As long as you've had your intake with a filter on it, and you weren't working in a very dusty area when installing it, you should be fine. Though you should have your car looked at since the VSC light is on.

·
3,453 Posts
Wait.....They're telling you that you have to pay 330 bucks to have your car looked at? I think that's wrong. If your car is still under warranty, they should look at it for free and see if it's something that is a manufacturer defect. I've had my car in the dealership for the A/C. Yeah, it BROKE. Chewed up the compressor or something and there were metal flakes in all of the lines. It was all done for free....You might wanna call around to another dealership then...Anyone else from where this guy live think he's being hussled?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.