Why do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it privacy issues or paranoia issues??

We want to know!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
well i see it as a privacy thing... i mean you could get the plate info and then call the cops and file a fake ass report or something.... i dont know.. but good question

·
Registered
367 Posts
theboxboy said:
well i see it as a privacy thing... i mean you could get the plate info and then call the cops and file a fake ass report or something.... i dont know.. but good question
More than that, all I (or anyone) needs is a license plate number to get your home address, regardless if it is an "unlisted" or "unpublished" address.

·
I'm fast in a slow way.
1,947 Posts
short bus said:
i dont give a rats arse . most peps ask what the hell dose it mean?

Its shortbus written in reverse right?

thousands of people see my license plate every day....its not my social security card....I don't care how many people see it, its a public fixture.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heathenbrewing said:
More than that, all I (or anyone) needs is a license plate number to get your home address, regardless if it is an "unlisted" or "unpublished" address.

How would you do that? Are you a law enforcement officer? Do you know a person at DMV? And really,everyday you drive your vehicle,how many thousands of people are looking at your plate and could do what you are suggesting is possible??

In my line of work, I get to know a lot of LEO's, and let me tell you that some of them have become good friends....but I would not want to ask a one of them to look-up a plate for me, knowing that they would find it very dis-tasteful and would probably end our friendship.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Sir said:
Its shortbus written in reverse right?

thousands of people see my license plate every day....its not my social security card....I don't care how many people see it, its a public fixture.

BINGO THANKS FOR PLAYING LOLOLOLOL:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
NVFirefighter said:
How would you do that? Are you a law enforcement officer? Do you know a person at DMV? And really,everyday you drive your vehicle,how many thousands of people are looking at your plate and could do what you are suggesting is possible??
Nope. I am not LE, nor do I know an LE, and no friends at the DMV. They are public record. Jon Q. Citizen can simply ask....no need to provide any explaination at all, although it does not hurt. Yes, ANYONE can do that, which is a BIG reason why I dont sucumb to road rage, nor do I egg anyone on...it is a really, really bad idea.

I have done it many times and will continue doing so. Some A-hole parked to close and scratched my bumper on a box that was less than 2 weeks old. I got their home address through the plate (along with home phone) and gave them a call asking when they will be paying to have my damages repaired. Took less than two weeks. :D

On a sadder note, a high school mate of mine was gunned down when the person he flipped off tracked him back to his home using only his plate info. He was 16 at the time.

Im not taking a stand on one side or the other, right or wrong, that it is so easy to get someones info. But until there is enough (read:any) public outcry, nothing will change.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heathenbrewing said:
Nope. I am not LE, nor do I know an LE, and no friends at the DMV. They are public record. Jon Q. Citizen can simply ask....no need to provide any explaination at all, although it does not hurt. Yes, ANYONE can do that, which is a BIG reason why I dont sucumb to road rage, nor do I egg anyone on...it is a really, really bad idea.

You still have not explained exactly how you go about obtaining this info??

I know in this state you can't just go to the DMV and ask for the plate holders address. Could you imagine the amount of stalkers hot women would have if that were possible!?:eek:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I believe it a privacy issue.

For a little investment, your plate number, a person can get your name,address,phone number,ss number, credit card numbers,bank account info.

:eek: I am a process server and skip tracer:cool: . It is not that hard to get all your info with a little start. I have even tracked down folks thru their screen names in forums such as these:D . Just need to work a little at it.

Nobody is really safe from them ( identity theft ) you just need to make it a bit harder for them is all.

·
Registered
367 Posts
NVFirefighter said:
You still have not explained exactly how you go about obtaining this info??.
Nor would I on in a public forum such as this…no need to give the wrong people any ideas. I gave one example of why I needed to get the address of someone who I only identified by a plate number. Im not trying to be an ass, but I think I have already made it quite clear.

NVFirefighter said:
I know in this state you can't just go to the DMV and ask for the plate holders address. Could you imagine the amount of stalkers hot women would have if that were possible!?:eek:
There is no need to go to the DMV….as a matter of fact, I hade the information hand dleivered to my location!

Laws vary from state to state and I am speaking of only three where I have done this…..CA, NV and MA. Just to be overly clear, never did I use the information attained in a manner which violated any laws. All three were "crimes of stupidity" against my or a friends beloved car. Scracthes, dents, bumps and bruises….nothing major, but damage nonetheless that was caused by inattention and/or uncaring. I feel THAT should be a crime.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heathenbrewing said:
Nor would I on in a public forum such as this…no need to give the wrong people any ideas. I gave one example of why I needed to get the address of someone who I only identified by a plate number. Im not trying to be an ass, but I think I have already made it quite clear.

There is no need to go to the DMV….as a matter of fact, I had the information hand delivered to my location!
I really was not looking for a step by step explanation. Nor do I want one. I know if you want to spend a little cash anything is possible, but I mean an average citizen can not hop on some web site or drive to the local library and get this info without themselves being recorded or tracked by some way or having to talk to someone in an official capacity.

Being as vague as you are about how you do this makes me suspect of your claims is all....no offense.:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
NVFirefighter said:
I really was not looking for a step by step explanation. Nor do I want one. I know if you want to spend a little cash anything is possible, but I mean an average citizen can not hop on some web site or drive to the local library and get this info without themselves being recorded or tracked by some way or having to talk to someone in an official capacity.
No need to spend ANY cash at all. No need to jump on some web site either. The average citizen would have to talk to someone in an official capacity, but not once did an officer ask me for anything, not an ID, not a DL....nothing. All the info I requested was given to me, 66% of the time a home phone number was included w/o me asking for it....the third time I had to ask for it. Hows that for service!:D

NVFirefighter said:
Being as vague as you are about how you do this makes me suspect of your claims is all....no offense.:)
None taken. ;)
PM if you need more details.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heathenbrewing said:
No need to spend ANY cash at all. No need to jump on some web site either. The average citizen would have to talk to someone in an official capacity, but not once did an officer ask me for anything, not an ID, not a DL....nothing. All the info I requested was given to me, 66% of the time a home phone number was included w/o me asking for it....the third time I had to ask for it. Hows that for service!:D

None taken. ;)
PM if you need more details.
Hehehehe,thanks Heathen. I had hoped I didn't offend you with the last post. Sometimes people on the internet make claims that are just a little suspect, but not out of the realm of possibilities, but to call them on it might raise some hackles. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
NVFirefighter said:
Hehehehe,thanks Heathen. I had hoped I didn't offend you with the last post. Sometimes people on the internet make claims that are just a little suspect, but not out of the realm of possibilities, but to call them on it might raise some hackles. :D
:)
Not at all!

You are going to have to try a LOT harder than that to offend me....like saying my xB is dirtier than yours....now them theres fight'n words! :D

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
In CA you CANNOT get a person's address thru their license plate number or driver's license number UNLESS you are in LE.

As a Police Officer we have to sign an agreement that states specifically, that the info we run, whether it be ID, CDL, license plate, ANYTHING, during the course of our duties, is because of our course of duty.

The change in the law is because of stalkers who have killed other persons or celebrities because that info USED TO BE available to the public.

If you run my plates, it will not show my address, it will show where I work, due to confidentialty reasons. Some sports stars ahve iot also, and when the plate is run, it comes back "non-existant".

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I personally dont care if people know my shiz. If they wanna steal my rims, if they wanna steal my visors, if they wanna steal the whole car, theyre more than welcome to come and give it a try. They had just better hope they dont get caught or found out about, becuase then theyll have some serious issues with seeing a next birthday. Maybe its just Nebraska, but the fear of getting something big stolen isnt an issue. I guess its one perk.

Scotty

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
ScionScotty said:
I personally dont care if people know my shiz. If they wanna steal my rims, if they wanna steal my visors, if they wanna steal the whole car, theyre more than welcome to come and give it a try. They had just better hope they dont get caught or found out about, becuase then theyll have some serious issues with seeing a next birthday. Maybe its just Nebraska, but the fear of getting something big stolen isnt an issue. I guess its one perk.

Scotty
insurance= i love it take my car haha (new car)

ok back to plates

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.