Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why block out the license plate?

8K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  killerxromances 
#1 ·
I've always seen it done in pics, never knew why, kinda afraid to ask... :eek:

Some people do it, some don't. Someone please explain it to me. Thanks!!

#3 ·
Well, I asked the same question to someone and they told me that when you post pics of a modded car and the plates are showing then someone can find out who you are, etc, etc....

Something like that. I would say for security reasons.:confused:

#4 ·
I used to do it, then I figured: "Wait, the license plate is something that's on display to the public 24/7. Why am I cutting it out of pictures?"

I'll always blur the plates if somebody asks, otherwise, I don't bother.

-Alex

#5 ·
Yeah, I figured it was for some type of security reason, but like Alex said, since it's on display all the time, why block it out for a photo? If someone were going to use it to identify you, they would have done it already. That makes it a moot point IMO.

So, does anyone know the original reason why? Just curious to know.

#7 ·
Before, peeps were able to take license plate numbers and get the registered owners info thru DMV. Then there were incidents such as what happened w/ the actress Rebecca Shafer, when she was murdered.

Now, that info is restricted, and only Law Enforcement and a few other peeps have access to that info, and only for investigative purposes.

I don't have a problem as I have "confidentiality" on my license plates and driver's license.

#9 ·
LuvmyxB said:
I agree, I dont have a problem with it either. IF someone wants to know where you live they're going to find out and also going to shows gives you access to ALL the plates. I do feel its out of "respect" tho. :)
I agree, it's the respect thing, too.

#11 ·
squirrel said:
Before, peeps were able to take license plate numbers and get the registered owners info thru DMV. Then there were incidents such as what happened w/ the actress Rebecca Shafer, when she was murdered.

Now, that info is restricted, and only Law Enforcement and a few other peeps have access to that info, and only for investigative purposes.
Thanks Brad, I can always count on you for the 411! :)

#12 ·
dtrain619 said:
Thanks Brad, I can always count on you for the 411! :)
No problem Dion, you're welcome!

#13 ·
mines too unique to hide. haha. i dont care. if people want to try to steal my stuff, i hope they can run faster than the shot coming outta my 12 ga. thats all i gotta say. i dont mess around when it comes to protecting my car. ask the guy that got the poop kicked outta him when he tried messing with it last year :mad:

#16 ·
ScionScotty said:
i wasnt even kiddin. lol. a former friend of mine thought it would be fun to throw tennis balls at my car. i thought it was funny to hit him repeatedly with a tennis racket. potatoe, potatoh (haha you know what i mean)
Scott, you're killin' me. No really, you're killin' me!! :D :D :D :D :D

Repeatedly, huh?............. I can picture that! :D :D :D :D :D

#17 ·
hes lucky i eventually stopped. i told him he would get a beating if he did it, and during tennis practice he thought it would be a good time. boy was he wrong. no dents or anything, just really pissed me off :mad: he threw it, but he didnt see me run up and hit him in the leg with the racket then strike him in the arms a couple of times. he was hurtin a lil i think :mad:

if any of yall know me, my car ranks right up there with the gf, and if you mess with either, youll get SQUASHED! :cool: he learned his lesson if its any consolation. we're still good friends, he just knows not to mess with the car.

scotty

#20 ·
I really hope I'm not the only one on here who remembers this...back when I was a kid the registration for your car had to be in plain view for the police to see. Bad guys figured out that if they read your address while you were somewhere else they could stop by your place and relieve you of your possesions. At some point in the late 60's or early 70's (i belive) this was done away with. I can still remember my dad's registration holder on the steering colum held on by springs.

Glad we don't have to show them now.

#22 ·
surfcitylocal said:
I really hope I'm not the only one on here who remembers this...back when I was a kid the registration for your car had to be in plain view for the police to see. Bad guys figured out that if they read your address while you were somewhere else they could stop by your place and relieve you of your possesions. At some point in the late 60's or early 70's (i belive) this was done away with. I can still remember my dad's registration holder on the steering colum held on by springs.

on the side note:
even with reg. card/sheet, you can white out your address, and make a copy of it, and keep it in you gbox. This way, if someway jacks yo ride, they don't have yo address and try to jack yo house when your not home.

#24 ·
surfcitylocal said:

yeah, my grandma was telling me how she used to have her info hanging on the left wing of her terridactle :D

sorry, had to take a stab at the older crowd ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.