Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh yeah, I remember that holder on the steering column! I think it was the early 70's when they stopped doing that. My parents had just bought a '70 Grand Prix SSJ model (Supercharged), and it didn't have the reg mounted on the column.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
I really hope I'm not the only one on here who remembers this...back when I was a kid the registration for your car had to be in plain view for the police to see. Bad guys figured out that if they read your address while you were somewhere else they could stop by your place and relieve you of your possesions. At some point in the late 60's or early 70's (i belive) this was done away with. I can still remember my dad's registration holder on the steering colum held on by springs.

Glad we don't have to show them now.
on the side note:
even with reg. card/sheet, you can white out your address, and make a copy of it, and keep it in you gbox. This way, if someway jacks yo ride, they don't have yo address and try to jack yo house when your not home.

·
Registered
212 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
I really hope I'm not the only one on here who remembers this...back when I was a kid the registration for your car had to be in plain view for the police to see. Bad guys figured out that if they read your address while you were somewhere else they could stop by your place and relieve you of your possesions. At some point in the late 60's or early 70's (i belive) this was done away with. I can still remember my dad's registration holder on the steering colum held on by springs.

Glad we don't have to show them now.
yeah, my grandma was telling me how she used to have her info hanging on the left wing of her terridactle :D

sorry, had to take a stab at the older crowd ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
suspended said:
yeah, my grandma was telling me how she used to have her info hanging on the left wing of her terridactle :D

:eek: Ouch! Right through the heart!!

J/K Wayne, it's all good. You'll be there soon enough!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
suspended said:

OUCH! At least I wasn't DRIVING the car, just a little kid riding along. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
just to let you guys and gals know... in the Great state of Texas, you can go to the DMV with a plate number (im not sure if they do out-of-state plates) and for a small charge of a few bucks they will release imformation on that vehicle.

im sure that the officer that told us this said that this INCLUDES phone #s and addresses

·
Registered
367 Posts
squirrel said:
Before, peeps were able to take license plate numbers and get the registered owners info thru DMV. Then there were incidents such as what happened w/ the actress Rebecca Shafer, when she was murdered.

Now, that info is restricted, and only Law Enforcement and a few other peeps have access to that info, and only for investigative purposes..
FYI - In the state of CA, all you need is a license number. This is a FACT. Then you call the cops and said that person backed into my car/bumper, whatever. They will give you the persons address just by asking for it. It is a part of public record, so there are no really strict standards regarding them.

If you are going to post pics of your box on the net, you would be well advised to blur the plate number.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
FrankenScion said:
Oh, and I don't have that border on anymore, it rattled way too damn much.
suuuuuuuuurrre. thats the reason you took it off :p haha jk jon.

heathenbrewing said:
FYI - In the state of CA, all you need is a license number. This is a FACT. Then you call the cops and said that person backed into my car/bumper, whatever. They will give you the persons address just by asking for it. It is a part of public record, so there are no really strict standards regarding them.

If you are going to post pics of your box on the net, you would be well advised to blur the plate number.
well Brad is a police officer, so i think he knows is ish pretty well. i dont know if hes really scared of people coming and trying to break into his garage and steal his xB either. if youve seen the guns this man has, i wouldnt be worried either :cool: :D

scotty

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
heathenbrewing said:

I would think you had to be a licensed bounty hunter or credit report person for a repo. Those would definitly warrant the release of the info :confused:

·
Registered
367 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
I would think you had to be a licensed bounty hunter or credit report person for a repo. Those would definitly warrant the release of the info :confused:
Nope.

I have done it three timeas already. Got the car owners home address in about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ScionScotty said:
.... if youve seen the guns this man has, i wouldnt be worried either :cool: :D

scotty
Even more of a reason (at least to me) to make it as difficult as possible to get my address.

Although if he is a cop, Im sure there is already something in place that would "block" his addy.

·
Registered
176 Posts
in NJ at some of the shows i have been to the cops have written down the plates of cars with air suspension or nitrous so they can pull them over after the show. the local cops had set up a road block and were pulling people over like crazy. alot of people here cover their plates at shows or even take them off because of this. just another reason why NEW JERSEY is the greatest.

·
Registered
176 Posts
New Jersey has alot to offer. but it also has it's problems just like everywhere else. we have lots of beaches, parks, and outdoor recreation.
we also get cold snow covered winters. there is always something to do, but it gets very crowded in the summer seasons. where i live, at the central jersey shore, we get swamped with vacationers coming to the beaches and boardwalks. i have been here my entire life so to me it gets kind of boring, but it must be kinda nice cause every body else wants to come here. we get lots of people from every where. on the highways i see plates from all over the east coast and many from the west. here is a website about NJ tourism, it should have some more speciffic info. http://www.state.nj.us/travel/

·
Registered
283 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
I've always seen it done in pics, never knew why, kinda afraid to ask... :eek:

Some people do it, some don't. Someone please explain it to me. Thanks!!
Lets just say that I'm in the law enforcment database & I don't want them to know what I'm doing. No. I didn't kill anyone or rape anyone or do some grand theft auto, incase anyone was wondering. Hahaha! I'm one of those people that enjoys "sprited driving" in the whee hours of the morning on some canyon road in some mountain range in California. It's sad to say, but some law enforcement members will monitor forums, sign up, & will try to tag along to a "fun meet", only to show up & bust the whole crowd that is there with tickets & impounding of cars. It happened on the S2K forum... \(>o< )

That is why my license number is always blocked off. It's a lot easier to find information online with a computer in front of you, than for someone driving down the street trying to memorize your license & then getting home to find out your license.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Security reasons.

If you have a car with lots of mods, you want to block out any resources someone can use against you. Either to play a joke on you and have your car towed or say you suspect them to be driving while under the influence. Not to mention, if someone sees you have money into your car, someone can use your plate number and find an address to find you. Of course, this rarely happens and you'd have to have parts on your box worth enough for someone to do this, but even so, it can happen.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.