Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here.
I bought a 1st Gen xb last year with 173k miles 2006. The car drives and shifts like butter but i can hear a whining/whistling sound as i accelerate. All pulleys are intact and drive belts are new. Just did a tranny fluid/filter change and noise was there before this so i know it’s not the fluid. The sound goes away as soon as i left off the accelerator and during coasting. As soon as i press the accelerator and while cruising the sound comes back. The sound is loudest around 40mph and on the highway i can’t hear it (due to the speed drowning out the sound?) and the wheel bearings are new and installed by a trusted mechanic. What could this sound be? Transmission?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Alternator, I had a noise like that and when I put a ratchet extension to the alternator and the other end to my ear, I heard the noise amplify ( be very careful). I changed that and the waterpump as well and the noise was gone.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2010 xB and it was the alternator. When it ultimately failed all of the lights on the dash came on and I lost power steering. Replace it ASAP so you don't get stuck.

One thing to note: my mechanic used a 3rd party alternator. My car drove fine for a few weeks and then the same problem came back. He replaced the alternator again and the problem came back a third time. A Toyota master mechanic told him that the car requires a genuine Toyota alternator. He replaced it with a Toyota alternator and the car has been good for several months now (knock on wood). I think he said it was a Denso alternator which his computer told him was compatible but wasn't.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts