·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which tires would you guys get ?
these will be in 215/40/17 for four 17x7's and two 17x9's
considerations are , price , treadwear , appearance , handling

yokohama avs es 100's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rch=false&partnum=14WR7ES100&fromCompare1=yes
97 a tire

yokohama avid h4's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...earch=false&partnum=14HR7H4S&fromCompare1=yes
85 a tire

kumho ecsta 711's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...arch=false&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=14HR7E711
54 a tire

general exclaim uhp's
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ch=false&partnum=14WR7EUHPXL&fromCompare1=yes
70 a tire

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I have the Kumho Ecstas. Great tire for the money, had some good reviews as well. They work great in the corners BTW!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Nitto Neo Gens!

But from your list, I would get the Kuhmos. I had good luck w/ those tires. Never picked up a flat in over 20k miles, and still had over half tread.

·
Registered
762 Posts
im a fan of my falken ziex tires

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
getting the kumho's they should last about the same , almost as grippy , and 250 less per six tires .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmmmmm.... ( '_')???

^ I have no idea what you're doing then. Hahahaha! ( ^o^)

I'm one of those people that push their tires to the extreme limits of adhesion. I basically spend most of my weekends in the canyons. I've tried the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. They're OK. Then I tried a set of Hankook Ventus Sport K104 & they were leaps & bounds better in the dry & wet, than the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. I never had a single issue with them. Then I tried some Yokohama AVS ES 100. They have some slightly stiffer sidewalls than the Hankook Ventus Sport K104, but once you push them to their grip limits, they tend to overheat & grease up, causing them to let go too easily. Kinda similar to the older Falken Azenis Sport RT-215 where they had some excellent grip when cold, but start to grease up when you overheat them. Yup. I tried a set of Falken Azenis Sprt RT-215 & their dry grip was mind blowing, but they had that famous overheating issue. You had to carry a spray bottle with you to cool them off. Hahaha! Then I tried a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 & even though the 512s are leaps & bounds better in the wet than the other 4 tires, compared to the other 4, they suck in the dry. I mean, they don't suck all that bad, but they're not as grippy in the dry. They last a long time. This is why I have them on my box. It's not like I plan on beating the box in the canyons or trying to flog it down some road course or some autocross event. Hahaha! So yeah. Bang for the buck, I still say that the Hankook Ventus Sport K104 is a great summer tire that can handle wet weather & the Falken Ziex ZE-512 is a great all weather tire.

Now I run the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 (pretty much the same thing as Falken Azenis RT-615) on my Sentra & they stick to the tarmac like gum sticks to hair. Yup. They take overheating like a champ! No issues with heat whatsoever. It seems like the more you heat them up, the more they grip. I do however, go through a front set just about every month & that's only because I drive like a mad man. Hahahaa! But yeah. The longest I had a set in the front was about 6,000 miles. They have a 200 treadwear rating. You can easily get 15,000 to 25,000 miles out of those Hankook R-S2 Z212 tires if you don't beat on them & rotate them, but if you're not going to use them, it's a waste of money. When I say use them I mean pushing them to their limits on some road course or autocross event. ( ^_^)/

·
Registered
762 Posts
my falken ziex ze512's handle great! 204/45-17

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anime Gee said:
^ I have no idea what you're doing then. Hahahaha! ( ^o^)

I'm one of those people that push their tires to the extreme limits of adhesion. I basically spend most of my weekends in the canyons. I've tried the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. They're OK. Then I tried a set of Hankook Ventus Sport K104 & they were leaps & bounds better in the dry & wet, than the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 tires. I never had a single issue with them. Then I tried some Yokohama AVS ES 100. They have some slightly stiffer sidewalls than the Hankook Ventus Sport K104, but once you push them to their grip limits, they tend to overheat & grease up, causing them to let go too easily. Kinda similar to the older Falken Azenis Sport RT-215 where they had some excellent grip when cold, but start to grease up when you overheat them. Yup. I tried a set of Falken Azenis Sprt RT-215 & their dry grip was mind blowing, but they had that famous overheating issue. You had to carry a spray bottle with you to cool them off. Hahaha! Then I tried a set of Falken Ziex ZE-512 & even though the 512s are leaps & bounds better in the wet than the other 4 tires, compared to the other 4, they suck in the dry. I mean, they don't suck all that bad, but they're not as grippy in the dry. They last a long time. This is why I have them on my box. It's not like I plan on beating the box in the canyons or trying to flog it down some road course or some autocross event. Hahaha! So yeah. Bang for the buck, I still say that the Hankook Ventus Sport K104 is a great summer tire that can handle wet weather & the Falken Ziex ZE-512 is a great all weather tire.

Now I run the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 (pretty much the same thing as Falken Azenis RT-615) on my Sentra & they stick to the tarmac like gum sticks to hair. Yup. They take overheating like a champ! No issues with heat whatsoever. It seems like the more you heat them up, the more they grip. I do however, go through a front set just about every month & that's only because I drive like a mad man. Hahahaa! But yeah. The longest I had a set in the front was about 6,000 miles. They have a 200 treadwear rating. You can easily get 15,000 to 25,000 miles out of those Hankook R-S2 Z212 tires if you don't beat on them & rotate them, but if you're not going to use them, it's a waste of money. When I say use them I mean pushing them to their limits on some road course or autocross event. ( ^_^)/
well a few got bubbles on teh sidewalls , a few had total tread seperation , and one had the tread start chipping and chunks started dissappearing.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
squirrel said:
Nitto Neo Gens!
QUOTE]
Aren't those the new ones that you can actually "rotate" instead of just back to front? I think those are the ones I will get too...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
squirrel said:
Nitto Neo Gens!
QUOTE]
Aren't those the new ones that you can actually "rotate" instead of just back to front? I think those are the ones I will get too...
I'm not sure about the rotate part, but I had a set on my GTI and they were great.

There was a good hookup on tires on another board I'm on. I told them to get in contact w/the admin here and see if they can post. You basically tell them what you want and they give you a price. When I got mine they beat tirerack, discount tire and some other chain I can't remember.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you are picking out of those 4 i would say go with the yokohama avid h4's... you will get a way better ride out of the tire then the other 3.... i sell tires for a liveing...

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jswhitebox said:
if you are picking out of those 4 i would say go with the yokohama avid h4's... you will get a way better ride out of the tire then the other 3.... i sell tires for a liveing...
ah but it's much heavier and i dont care about ride quality. i almost bought the h4's but their 3 pound weight difference killed the deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hotbox05 said:
ah but it's much heavier and i dont care about ride quality. i almost bought the h4's but their 3 pound weight difference killed the deal.
yeah 3 pounds, but come on are you really going to feel the biggest difference in that much...

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah my new wheel tire combo is about 40 pounds. i dont need no stinking 43 pounds , lol :)

it's not the largest difference but it's still more. add that to a higher price and imo a less appealer tread pattern. i dunno i smoke crack !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts