Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, is it good to screw the amps on the subwoofer box? will all that thumping affect the amp performance? can you guys give suggestions on where i can put the amps without taking too much trunk space, i would like to make use of the tiny trunk space with the amp and box in...
:confused: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
I'd try to answer your question, but I can't stop laughing at the title......

Now I gotta clean up the coffee I just spewed all over the place!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
I'd try to answer your question, but I can't stop laughing at the title......

Now I gotta clean up the coffee I just spewed all over the place!

lol, so true.

Great title.

Well, to answer your question, usually sub boxes are around 3/4" thick. So if you use some short wood screws, say 1/4"-3/8", you'll be safe.

If you aren't able to use the short screws, then use some standard 1" wood screws, but put some silicone on the screw so the hole is sealed up.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
how dissapointing...not what I thought this thread was about at all!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't think you should put the amp on the box cuz if someone breaks into your car they take whole whole system all at once, you're just making easier. Will it fit under the seat?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
DodgerGirl said:
I don't think you should put the amp on the box cuz if someone breaks into your car they take whole whole system all at once, you're just making easier. Will it fit under the seat?
Good point Jen, it's like telling them "take my system it's packaged for your ease of removal"!

·
Registered
546 Posts
if they really want it they will take it no matter what...but there are a couple of places you can put it, either in the compartment thats next to the spare tire in the back...under either of the front seats...unless you have an 04 you can only put it under the passenger seat due to the jack being under the drivers seat...but those are pretty much the other options also custom enclosure....but I know you want to keep as much trunk space as you can...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
BigWill184 said:
if they really want it they will take it no matter what...but there are a couple of places you can put it, either in the compartment thats next to the spare tire in the back...under either of the front seats...unless you have an 04 you can only put it under the passenger seat due to the jack being under the drivers seat...but those are pretty much the other options also custom enclosure....but I know you want to keep as much trunk space as you can...
Hey Will...I have an 06 and my jack is under the driver seat. Did it change for 05?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I guess so cuz i know a couple of 05 dont have them under their seat, like I know for sure Mike and Kristina did not have them under the front seat...

·
Registered
208 Posts
05 here-my jack is under my driver seat...

as for the screwing-i say go w/ whatever looks the best and forget the rest

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm strange, different jack locations.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Anywhere you can get it in will probably work. Behind the seat is always a good place. Go to a audio shop and get them to build you an amp rack

·
Registered
200 Posts
BigWill184 said:
Yeah but it will take more time for them to steal if it's seperate, so it might not be worth all the trouble... but I agree with Will, keep as much trunk space as possible, it's already small as it is.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
^^Maybe, but I don't think theives just bust in a start taking, i think they scout first, look inside and scope things out...make plans...

But if you are going to seperate them, i say under the seat...because i don't think amps shoud be closed in like if you were to put it next to the spare tire...dont't they need air, and isn't that foam kinda like insulation, and won't it keep the heat in?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
^^Maybe, but I don't think theives just bust in a start taking, i think they scout first, look inside and scope things out...make plans...

But if you are going to seperate them, i say under the seat...because i don't think amps shoud be closed in like if you were to put it next to the spare tire...dont't they need air, and isn't that foam kinda like insulation, and won't it keep the heat in?
newer class "D" amps are supposedly digital and run cooler w/o so much air so i've heard.

my amps are both on the back of my subwoofer box, but they can't be seen b/c i built a cubby @ the backside of the box to specifically house the amps and cap. i'd like to see the thief struggle to lift a decent sized MDF box - w/ or w/out amps - i don't care who you are- MDF is heavy!

ok, is it good to screw the amps on the subwoofer box? will all that thumping affect the amp performance?
as for the vibration to the amps - i've never had a problem b/c if a box is built properly for a sub, the box shouldn't vibrate at all, it's all your subwoofer faces that do the vibrating. if a box vibrates, that's not a good sound.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahaha.. sorry for the disappointment on the title... it was late at night...

anyway, i have my amps screwed to the back seat of my other car - the civic, i was thinking of doing the box a little different (other than below the front seats)... maybe on the headliner, i know i have seen some done that way it was crazy, you look up on the headliner and theres a line of amps, is that even secure enough to hold it up there...

ahh, i'll prolly just go for the backseats again...

thank you all...

·
Registered
485 Posts
from my personal experience with my toaster, dont place the amp in the storage compartments unless you plan on installing some sort of fan in them. If your summers on the west coast are as hot as they are here on the east coast then your amp is gonna be cutting out on ya halfway down the road. Difnately best to keep it out in the open air :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
backseatchris said:
from my personal experience with my toaster, dont place the amp in the storage compartments unless you plan on installing some sort of fan in them. If your summers on the west coast are as hot as they are here on the east coast then your amp is gonna be cutting out on ya halfway down the road. Difnately best to keep it out in the open air :)

Very true my old use to be in that compartment and my ish kept shutting down...so I say go with the amp under the seat or unless you want to get an amp rack built for it...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 2006.5 and my jack is under the front seat as well. HMMMM Interesting.....As far as the amp mounted to the sub box. I tend not to do that. Not that it really matters much but, your amp will be subjected to more vibration than it would be mounted someplace more secure.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whatever setup you go with, make sure that somewhere along the lines that your setup is bolted into or screwed into the car. That way if someone does steal your stuff, insurance will pay you for it.

If you dont do it that way and a burglar breaks the window and steals your system, then all ins pays for is the window. Even if you do a simple bolt on of the system to your car, your ins is supposed to pay for the system legally. Anything attached to the car is the insurances responsibility. Something so simple can make a lot of difference

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.