Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I got a backup cam as a gift an I'm working on installing it. It's one of the types of cams that attaches via your license plate mounting screws. Attached to the camera is a video output cable and a red wire.

On the manual it says to splice the red wire to the reverse light wiring harness, it says it can be spliced onto either the left or right reverse light harness. However, on any videos I look up of people installing backup cams onto gen 2 xB's they also splice the cable to the reverse signal located behind a panel under the steering wheel.

Would it be the same effect either way? Or in the xB's case do I have to run the wire to the front of the car to the reverse signal? Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try "Luminous plasma" on YouTube. He installed his step by step and even added the light up Scion badge like my stock 9.0 RS. Show us pics after the installation...... Cool

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,129 Posts
The reverse activated twelve-volt supply will be equally effective regardless of where you attach to the wiring harness, whether at the reverse lamp or under the dash. Attaching to the lamp is simply less of an effort and uses a shorter wire. Either way, your time will be mainly spent running the video output cable, and the red wire, from the camera, through the liftgate, and to the monitor. Not difficult, just takes a little time to open the pathways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reverse activated twelve-volt supply will be equally effective regardless of where you attach to the wiring harness, whether at the reverse lamp or under the dash. Attaching to the lamp is simply less of an effort and uses a shorter wire. Either way, your time will be mainly spent running the video output cable, and the red wire, from the camera, through the liftgate, and to the monitor. Not difficult, just takes a little time to open the pathways.
Thanks so much! Yeah in that case I think I'd prefer to tap into the reverse light. Gonna see if I can do it tmmrw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts