Scion xB Forum banner

Where are all the rear shocks?

10K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  CliffDunaway 
#1 ·
I'm getting new wheels, tires, and an alignment, so I decided I might as well replace the struts and shocks before I have that done (car has 60k on it and has been handled roughly, seems like a good idea).

One problem - where the hell are all the rear shocks? I found some KYB struts I'm set on using, but NO ONE seems to have the rear shocks outside of pricey tokico or toyota units.

Do normal manufacturers (KYB/Monroe/etc) just not make shocks for this car?

---------- Post added 05-27-2013 at 10:06 AM ----------

Clarification: this is a 2009, currently 100% stock suspension. Have the 19" TRD wheels on it, going back to 17" OEM alloys (the gunmetal grey ones)

#3 ·
I couldn't either. I'm sure there's XX vehicle shock that fits, it's just going to be finding them. I know you can swap the rear springs from Gen1 to Gen2, it might be worth looking into an echo shock (cheap)

---------- Post added 05-27-2013 at 01:48 PM ----------

Or a Corolla shock. I'm not sure how many parts the rumion and corolla sedan share.

#5 ·
or airshocks with that lift controller thing? I have the TRD/Waydoo shocks/struts and Im happy with their performance.

#9 ·
#16 ·
#21 ·
bump...

So I've been researching what shocks to get for my '08 xB and noticed Rockauto doesn't list rear shock absorbers for them. Saw this thread and that makes sense now.

However, I went to KYB.com and did some looking around on their online catalog. They do list their model 349035 as being compatible with 2008-2012 Scion xB's. It's also compatible with 2010-2012 Prius's. If you look up rear shock absorbers for a 2011 Prius on RockAuto, they list the KYB 349035, but for $110.79 each and it ships from Europe!

Did some looking on the interwebz and a couple of ebay and Amazon retailers sell the 349035 for between $52 - $80 each plus shipping. I grabbed two of 'em off Amazon for a little over $125 shipped. We'll see how they compare to the stockers once I get them off.

In the meantime, here are the specs for the 349035 from the KYB site:
Compressed Length (in.) 15.17
Extended Length (in.) 23.84
Lower Mount E2(12x60)
Stroke (in.) 8.67

Just by looking at the pics from the catalog, it appears to have the same mounting solution as the OEM shock.

Attachments

#23 ·
Okay, ordered the KYB 349035 Excel-G (GR2) shocks and they came in pretty quick from Stockwise auto from Amazon.

For those of you that TL : DR - they fit perfect and appear to be exactly the same as the OEM ones I took out of my 2008 RS5.0. See pics:

Pics of the box

Pics of the box

OEM on the right, KYB on the left still strapped for shipping, both shock bodies and rods are the same diameter

KYB uses the same 6mm Hex head and 17mm nut as OEM

Exact OEM replacement

Closeup of the model no. stamp

Fwiw, my oem's of 161,000 miles still damped just fine really. They compressed about the same as the new KYB's, but the rebound stroke was much slower. After driving around a bit, I honestly couldn't tell any difference. Regardless, I've got springs inbound that new the shocks should pair with nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.