Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference between tuner lugs and regular lugs
i bought some mcgard lugs but it doesnt say tuner lugs on em can they be used for the same application?

·
Registered
325 Posts
As long as they have the correct thread pattern and Shape where they meet the wheel as the wheel and car requires they should be fine....AS LONG AS they fit in the hole in the wheel and you can still get on them with a socket to remove/install them. Regular lug nuts are bigger in overall diameter than the tuner type. With my Driv Royale 18's regular lugnuts will not function even tho they would otherwise work on a Scion, because they wont go down the hole in the wheel leaving enough space to get a socket on them. If socket clearance is tight then tuner type lugs can help by allowing more clearance for service and therefore less likelyhood of damaging a wheel while servicing tires.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it fits fine but it looks like i'll have a hard time torqueing the lugs since i dont have an extension tool.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Alot of tuner lug sockets are extra deep so they can help there too (but the socket wont fit a regular lug nut...tuners are slotted on the outside for grip like your wheel locks are...instead of being a hex.....but they arent a unique pattern like a lock. Get an extension:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the lugs i bought are only slightly longer than the tuner lugs i got with the wheels, everything else looks identical. reason i didnt wanna put the tuner lugs on was cuz the ones i got where peeling and rusting.

when i take it to a shop for an alignment will they be able to even put the lugs on if dont have the extention tool?

·
Registered
325 Posts
As long as a socket and the lugnut will fit into the wheel any mechanic should have deep sockets and or extensions to make something work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts