Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright since Boombox asked, Ill shed the little knowledge I have to fellow xBers on wheel disks. Disk sizes usually pertain to multipiece wheels and the amount of clearance allowed for brakes on the pad and positioning in the barrel. Each wheel manufacturer calls disks something different, mainly because they look to confuse the public (this is what I have gathered).

Work uses the terms O-disk (allows for least brake clearance, which is useful for drug brakes or small econo brakes). In term for less brake clearance, it allows you to get a bigger lip on the wheel. Next in line for Work they use the term A-disk. (allows for decent brake clearance, but slightly less lip than O) Third and lastly for Work is the term R-disk. R-disk is reserved usually for big brake kits, and allows for least about of lip on the wheel.

SSR, like I mentioned, wants to confuse. Super low-disk is the one that is comparable to the O-disk of Work, and allows for least clerance and most lip. Next in line, which is comparable to A-disk, is the Medium-disk. Lastly, in comparison to R-disk is the High-disk.

AME wants to confuse even further from what I know. Their O-disk is called a Super-low disk like SSR. Next however, is the Low-disk for AME, which compares to the A-disk of Work. Their last disk is called High-disk also.

In basic essence, higher the disk, the less the lip that is allowable.

This comes courtesy of our good friend at Work wheels:

You can see how the face of the rim is literally moved in and out for more clearance on the pictures, in which a big brake kit could fit. Some of the question of if a wheel will fit relies on the design of the wheel though and the size. Theres no saying an 18" O-disk rim DH would fit on our fronts for sure as long as a 15" Equip 01 O-disk fits. So a little bit is measuring yourself and knowing the wheel. I personally have 17x8 25 offset rims with O-disks all around (about 3" of lip), and I clear front and rear brakes. Thats just me with my Work Euroline Ns. I cant vouch for all wheels being able to clear that with same specs, since designs are different.

Now I dont claim to be an expert when it comes to disks, and theres probably some more hardcore guys on here thatll correct me on something here. Thats the jist of it though. When it comes to disks, I feel like Im a little inferior, but this is what Ive gathered from mass amounts of reading and deciphering. Im still a noob at a lot too, so if you know something I dont, feel free to throw it in. I hope this helps out those other people though, and can start ya along the way.

Scotty

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
nice bit of info there... ill have to bookmark this in case i need it. thank you

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I tried going to bed, but didnt work, so I thought Id be useful! lol. If you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask. Ill do my best to answer them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
good info Scotty, should help a lot of people when they're in the process of ordering wheels. Now its time for wheel offset 101

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
depending on the face of the rim, some wheels may or may not clear the front brakes. My 17x9 O-disc Work DH I use on the rear fits the front and clears the brake. Although the whees itself was hanging out a good inch or more. But my fronts on the back looked, dare I say, hoopty!!!!
But even the disc setup can really depend on depth of the rim. I have seen a Volk wheel with these low offset. I think they were GT-7's with a +12 offset and 10 or less on the back. His fornts were hanging out the front and the back were still tucked under the fenders. I was blown away by that. car looks good, but I couldn't figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts