Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so why is it every single time I rotate my tires I have to re-balance them as well? I've always been under the impression that once a wheel is balanced, it's balanced and unless you knock weights off or something you should be good to go. Ever since I got them I've had to rotate and then balance at the same time. Also one of my wheels takes an ass-load of weights to balance it. Always has since day one, it's got like 11oz of weights on it :eek: Once everything is balanced, they run great I'm just really confused as to why every single time I rotate it's like they're all out of balance again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
not an expert but would say due do driving conditions (pothole, speed bumps, etc..) and way you drive, not you personally, (fast around corners, burn outs and stuff or baby it) will effect the tire and the tread and how the tire seats in the wheels.. any changes can cause a change in balance.. figure as the tread wears down the it most likely will not wear down exactly the same all the way around so any inconsistancies in the tread wear will change the way the wheel spins causing it to be unbalanced..

again no expert just what my logically thinking mind came up with,.

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that's what I thought too, but I like I said they've been like this since day one. I never burn out, have never had to skid my tires, and I drive like a generally normal person lol. My only guess is that maybe they had a defect in the wheels or tires when i got them :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
well hopefully you can get an answer just gave what i thought was logical but agina not expert so could be wrong.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Who is doing the balancing and what type of tires are they? 11oz of weights is way to much. A good tire will typically take no more than 6oz and will only need to be balanced every 30,000 miles, all things being equal. When I encountered a tire that took an excessive amount of weight I'd break the tire down and spin the tire 180 degrees in relation to the rim, re inflate and balance.
I was a mechanic for 6 years, I did my share of tires. For the most part the better the tire the less weight it took. Goodyear tires always gave me trouble, they wear like crap and don't hold a balance very well. Michelin seemed like they were balanced from the git go.

[ Also one of my wheels takes an ass-load of weights to balance it. Always has since day one, it's got like 11oz of weights on it :eek: Once everything is balanced, they run great I'm just really confused as to why every single time I rotate it's like they're all out of balance again. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got Hankooks 215/35R18. I have them balanced by Auto Accessory Warehouse in San Bernardino. They have lifetime rotation and balance when wheels are purchased through them, that's the only reason I keep going back. I have thought about trying some other place, but I'm a cheap-ass and didn't want to pay for a balance when I get it free :p lol

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
Have you had them spin the wheel by itself? There could be a flaw in the wheel that needs excessive weight.

Also, are they the same set of tires with the problem or has it been more than one set? I worked at a gas station when I was in high school (back when they still had services). Every now and then we would get a tire that was heavy in one spot due to excess rubber, we would have to can it and send it back to the manufacturer. However this problem was usually on bigger off-road tires and not so much on regular car tires but there were a few.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay, here is your answer.....
Everybody has pretty much has nailed it!

You should rotate and rebalance your tires every 5,000 miles minimum! (on W,Y,Z-rated tires, I usually recomemend every 3000 miles to receive optimum tire wear) I would have to agree on the 11OZ weight though.... that is way too much weight! either you have a out of round tire or an out of round wheel. (Weight can also be determained by size of wheel, size of tire, and what type of wheel and tire you purchased) There is a machine that we use to determine what is the cause of vibration and out of roundness. It's called a Hunter Roadforce GPS9000. This is a neat machine that will tell you exactly what is out of round and what is causing vibration, (wheel, tire, or both) it will also tell you in what position to put the tire on the wheel to have the optimum tire balance...... I strongly suggest using this machine if possible to balance tires.

The reason why you balance tires is the compasate for the lost rubber that you have worn out. No tire or wheel is truely 100% perfectly round, so one side might have a heavy spot, thus cause a fligging type motion while it is going round which equals tire vibration. To conteract this flinging type motion, you apply the weights on the opposite side (which is determined by a high speed balancer) to help eliminate this vibration from happining.

I hope this help you some. If you have any questions, please ask. I work for a tire shop and have been doing this a little too long. If I don't know the answer I will get the correct one for you concerning this issue.
Any questions, let me know. thanks!

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your tips guys. I'm taking my car to a strictly wheel shop tomorrow. I am just going to pay to have some wheel/tire guys who do nothing but wheels/tires check it out. The place I've been taking it is a shop that does wheels, audio, lifts lowering, etc. Maybe these straight wheel guys will know more what to look for and to have the tools to fix it. Like that machine you mentioned itsla. I drive very conservatively, I rotate and balance every 3,000-5,000, always keep proper pressure, so I'm thinking it could be the out of roundness issue. Hopefully they can work it out tomorrow :) Thanks for all the input guys :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ok, may not know what I am talking about but can you say "Hubcentric"

Maybe your wheels aren't being installed after your rotation the same.

I noticed the tire size and figured that aftermarket wheels may not be hubcentric.

just a thought.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Alex (LA) knows his stuff, that's what he does for a living.

If you have 11 oz, then someone is obviously not placing the weights in the proper location. Weights can be placed on the outer rim, along the inside surface of the rim, or on the inside rim itself.

Also, some tire shops will mount a tire in a location where it requires more weight because the tire itself is weighted to one side and when placed on a rim weighted on the same side more weight is required inside of trying to balance it out.

I used to balance my wheels when my buddy had a shop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hubcentric...
That could also cause vibration....
When a wheel is hubcentric that means that the wheel will center itself by fitting over the wheel hub with perfect fitment. (No slack. No up, down, side 2 side movement) and the lug nuts purpose is just to hold down the wheel to the car's hub. Usually, a wheel that has multiple bolt patterns will not be hubcentric due to various vehicle fitments and different hub sizes on different cars. So to compisate for that, they have what is called "hubcentric rings." These rings can be placed on the hub itself and when the wheel is put on the hub, it will automatically center the wheel on the hub, thus reducing wheel vibration.

non-hubcentric wheels or vehicles...
the lug nuts themselves will center out the wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts