Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 17x7 42 offset wrapped in 215/45/17s
I put on my wheels today and I notice the steering wheel jerks to the right seomtimes. do i need a wheel alignment or is that a tire balance problem ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
No, the wheel jerks to the right when you hit uneven pavement. The reason why this happens now and didn't with the stock tires is because you are now rolling on oversized tires and the larger rims also remove some of the tires flexability due to the shorter sidewalls.

It is nothing an alignment can fix. If you get 205/45/R17's next time you need tires that will help some.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did the endling bushings already. also have a front underbrace, front strut bar, trd rear sway bar, and monroe shocks.

the problem with the steering wheel jerking is not due to uneven pavement i know this for sure. sometimes the steering wheel just jerks to the side when i'm rolling on perfectly smooth pavement.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well it my not exactly be due to uneven pavement, but what I said is happening is what is happening.

Those tires are too big for the car, plus the shorter sidewall takes out some of the tires flexability.

It's not your alignment.

I have 17" wheels with 215/45R17's also and my car also jerks occasionally when I use them but in the winter when I run on my steelies and stock tires the problem dissappears.

Again I can't exactly explain what causes the jerk, but it is the wheel tire combo you are using and NOT the alignment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts