Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 day old xB and plan on putting in a very conservative system. Probably will upgrade all the speakers and add a single sub.

Is anyone with aftermarket system using the stock head unit?

Any suggestions for speaker upgrades?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
i did for a while with stock headunit and aftermarket speakers. was really kinda weak. i highly recommend stepping up the headunit, front speakers, and a sub. the rear ones dont matter too much IMHO. maybe thats just me. i get all my mids/his from the fronts, with lows from sub. i dont hear much of the rear speakers.

im running Pioneer speakers up front (forgot model. Ill have to look it up), with Sony Deck, and Resonant Engineering 15" sub. hits pretty decent, but unfortunately isnt setup for competitions like its made. its good enough for daily pounding and enough to shake my hatch crazy.

ill get some pics tomm of the sub.

scotty

·
Registered
485 Posts
i ran an aftermarket sub system for about 2 months with the stock headunit. Once i bought a new clarion HU i can tell ya the entire cars sound system could not be more clear. the sub hits much harder and the speakers hit higher sounds. definately get a new headunit if you are planning on buying new speakers and a sub.

·
Banned
528 Posts
In the RS 3 Xb do you think that it is honestly needed to replace the headunit. Keep in mind that it has a DVD function so to replace your looking at more then just a couple hundred.

·
bB SQUAD!!!
2,793 Posts
MussBus said:
In the RS 3 Xb do you think that it is honestly needed to replace the headunit. Keep in mind that it has a DVD function so to replace your looking at more then just a couple hundred.
and there are some functions thats pretty cool to have and not available to aftermarket ones... unless you want to spend couple thousands...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Mine screams with only a new H/U and stock speakers 12" under passenger seat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i've got a stock headunit w/ stock speakers. my only catch is that i've got a 4 channel pushing my stock speakers and a 1500 mono pushing 2 12" in my hatch. she runs nice, but i'd like a new headunit...so...i guess what i'm saying is that running a stock headunit ain't that bad, it still sounds pretty

·
Registered
77 Posts
MussBus said:
If you really wanna get into good, high quality sound or competitions, you'll wanna get rid of the head unit since it won't have a high voltage preout and puts like no power to your speakers.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Right now im runnnin a JVC headunit with 2 amps, a 1500 for my 2 12s and then a 485 for my backs and front componets..sounds really clean...its all powerbass stuff and its just right for the average person. Since Im not average Im upgrading to.... what i cant tell everythign can I

·
Registered
77 Posts
I got a Pioneer AVHP5700DVD head unit (Pioneer = not so good preout), all stock speakers, and two 15" Polk Momos. I would not suggest going with a Pioneer head unit for a good preout and good powering to the speakers from the head unit (unless you get aftermarket speakers and a 4 channel or something :D ) I've heard MTX components and speakers are nice. Eclipse speakers will give you nice highs and clarity, and Eclipse head units have a standard 5V preout, which is nice for getting to the speakers without an amp. But I rock PolkMomo because I believe their quality is just incredible, all around, in anything they do.

So I've head that good head units are Eclipse, kinda older Alpines (had a CDA9815 that was amazing), and I also had a JVC Exad AV unit that, sound quality wise, was the best I've had to date.

My final call: Head unit = Eclipse Speakers = Eclipse or PolkMomo (or even just regular Polk speakers are really nice too)

By the way, here's my setup and my old JVC Exad I praised so highly.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.