Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was wondering what is the easiest way to clear the stock headlights cause i cleared the ones i have now but im trading mine in for the 3.0 and was wondering if there a better way cause mine got scratched up during the clear process

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Dion...can you do mine??? I'll be in Cali in a week and a half! ;)

I wanted after market heads but thought maybe I could go another route!

·
Super Moderator
16,212 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Dion...can you do mine??? I'll be in Cali in a week and a half! ;)

I wanted after market heads but thought maybe I could go another route!
Haven't done it myself, Chris (bluebb05) does everyone's here.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did my first set but im trading mine in for the 3.0

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
Haven't done it myself, Chris (bluebb05) does everyone's here.
Howd I know you were going to say someone else did it!! LOL!

Maybe I'll have to meet up with HIM then! LOL jk!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doing it yourself isnt a hard proses im just too lazy to want to do it again but if anyone wants to know how i did it i would be more then happy to explain it

·
Super Moderator
16,212 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Howd I know you were going to say someone else did it!! LOL!

Maybe I'll have to meet up with HIM then! LOL jk!!!
:p

He's gonna do mine soon! I just don't have the guts to do it, I'm still trying to fabricate a tool that will allow you to knock out the reflector without any possibility of scratches.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
DTRAIN619 said:
:p

He's gonna do mine soon! I just don't have the guts to do it, I'm still trying to fabricate a tool that will allow you to knock out the reflector without any possibility of scratches.
So, I'm vaguely familiar with the process and I'm thinking, could you get away with a punch coated in tool dip?

Like this stuff?

Couldn't scratch much with a rubber coated tool, right?

-Alex

·
Super Moderator
16,212 Posts
grizzly_choppers said:
So, I'm vaguely familiar with the process and I'm thinking, could you get away with a punch coated in tool dip?

Like this stuff?

Couldn't scratch much with a rubber coated tool, right?

-Alex
That's exactly what I was thinking, Alex. Now it just a matter of fabbing a tool that blunt on the end, and wide enough to knock out all the reflector with minimum pounding. Then just finish up with "canned air" or a compressor to blow out the residual chips and voila!

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Good luck with the breaking reflector method, I ended up scratching the lens. And that was with the light off of the car.

I broke the reflector, but it broke in too big of a chunk and I still couldn't get it out. I had to bake them and do it right. It's so easy. Just takes time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i actully used a dentist pick to pry the lens out then used wire cutters to break it up into little pieces and that worked good just during the prying proses it scratched the lens alittle whice is what i dont want on my new on thus the reason for starting this topic

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
mike_szam said:
i actully used a dentist pick to pry the lens out then used wire cutters to break it up into little pieces and that worked good just during the prying proses it scratched the lens alittle whice is what i dont want on my new on thus the reason for starting this topic

It is well worth the effort and the time. Just take them out and bake them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that works never baked headlights so how do you do that

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well ive done several sets with friends...done several breaking the reflector and cleaning out method but this messes up the headlight. Now that ive done the the oven method I prefer it. 10 mins at 250 is best and the reflector just clips out and put them back in for 10 mins at 250 and push back together and good to go...if you got questions let me know

·
Registered
198 Posts
ive tried both and baking is the best way, the problem with the breaking it up method is its easier to scratch and it really hard if even possible to get the little orange tabs out. OK its been awhile since i baked any headlights but i think i had my oven on 200 or something pretty low i stuck a headlight on a cookie sheet and slid it in. I checked it about every minute to see if i could pry it apart (the grey housing from the clear lense) then once there warm pull them apart. Once you have the clear front off its as easy as pulling the reflector off. then i heated the two pieces back up and pushed them back toghter and then sealed them with silicone to be safe. As always i take no responsiblity if you screw up your own lights this is just my experiance and how it worked for me. Hope this helps you guys out a little bit

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks ill have to try it if i **** up screw it ill buy new headlights

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah, he's pretty correct on the 200 degree method, if your oven can get lower, I highly suggest it. Keep a watch on it every 3-5 minutes to where it's just enough that the epoxy comes apart, and yes, always reseal it with a high heat compound

We did the crush method on mine, and it wasn't the tools that scratched it, it was the amber reflector's sharp edges that did it...Though if done correctly, you cannot tell unless you are centimeters from the lens.

Oh, and one more thing to add....you bake it and mess it up, it's not my fault. DIY at your own risk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.