Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my Scion XB does not have an antenna! Where the hell is it located? Does anyone know? I have the dash out right now for some stereo and light mods, I found the wires, but no antenna, thought it was internal.
Just curious!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I was told that the lines in the rear side windows are the antenna, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
BRANT said:
I noticed that my Scion XB does not have an antenna! Where the hell is it located? Does anyone know? I have the dash out right now for some stereo and light mods, I found the wires, but no antenna, thought it was internal.
Just curious!
Look at your two back side windows. See all the little black lines? That's your antenna. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, never thought to look there!

Cool!,thanks for the info, this explains why they aren't visible! Kudos to the designers at Scion, this keeps the box lookin' smooth!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Brant, if you are making changes to/near the head unit, you might want to take a quick look at this thread, too. Good info, including drawings, on the radio antennas, wiring and antenna amp. Might save you a problem or two. :)

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f23/45-radio-reception/

Take care,
Tom

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
They are just using it's correct name... :)

"Diversity antennas" are a common feature of many high-end "portable" systems, or the "base" for mobile systems - even many WiFi systems have diversity antennas - the laptop I'm typing this one has a set of diversity antennas built in to the frame on either side of the screen. :) (WiFi Diversity Antennas)

Here's a quick blurb from a non-Toyota site:

Diversity Antenna

What it is:

A diversity antenna system uses two antennae mounted at different locations on the vehicle and automatically chooses one that provides the better FM radio signal. The customer is therefore less likely to notice static or weak audio signals due to obstructions.

How it works:
Power lines, traffic lights and buildings can cause local areas of weak FM signals. When driving through such areas, a listener might notice decreased volume or increased noise or static often when the vehicle is stopped for a traffic signal. With two antennae, there is a better chance that one will receive a clear signal. A circuit inside the radio automatically chooses the better signal.
Old technology constantly being re-invented because it just happens to work well and takes care of some very real problems, especially multipath problems on FM or SSB signals... (When I was in the USAF many of the RF devices we used for communication had diversity antennas.)

(I just realized that I've had a First Class Radiotelephone License [Commercial Broadcast License] for over 43 years. I'm getting old. :( )

{darn tpyos}

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think he means the stuff above the rearveiw mirror, i think its added sunshade. so why are the lines on the two back windows different from eachother, are they both antenna or just one?

·
Registered
501 Posts
hayalex is right, if a bit aggressive about it: they aren't lines, but rather those weird dots around the windshield. I always thought that those were the antennas....but I don't really pay much attention to that stuff.... I guess that's obvious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.