Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just in the market for a header for my box and want to know others opinions on which co. i should go with. any suggestions and info would help thanx.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
From my understanding, and reading A LOT on the different brand headers, it all just really comes down to two things: Brand stamp and whether you want a 4-2-1 or a 4-1. They all put out about the same power dynoed, make typically the same noise, blah blah blah. I don't want to bring in personal opinion on this one, but I purchased a DC Sports 4-1 ceramic coated header. My only concern was making sure that I didn't melt anything, hence the ceramic coating.

I do suggest staying away from the ebay specials, but other people have had good experiences with them.

I dunno how that works with CARB either.....Good luck.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i have a D.C. Sport header and its C.A.R.B legal. good sound and power. all in all id recommend it or STRUP. there's a strup one for $200 in the classifieds on here or SL (i forget).

Megan headers are popular too and cheap.

·
Registered
352 Posts
just bought an OBX Header for $124.99. 4-2-1 design. not overly interested in performance, so I didnt want to spend bank on performance mods, but every little bit of HP helps the daily driving. People have had good results, its functioned fine for what it does. Someone is going on 25,000 miles on SL with the OBX Header.

In no way am I promoting OBX, since most people think of the quality as questionable. But 1) people that have it are satisfied and 2) it fit into my budget... Just make sure you prioritize before you make a purchase...

I also picked up my Fujita SR for $130 shipped. Again, newer company but people have had success with it and it fit into my budget...

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for all the input guys.........yea i was looking into the DC ceramic 4-1. whats the cheapiest u have found for this header?

·
3,453 Posts
Unfortunately, the DC header doesn't come cheap, even on ebay. The cheapest I've seen it was second hand from people. That's how I got mine. They usually run 275+ on ebay + shipping.

Again, the only reason I considered the DC header was because this one was ceramic coated. Keep in mind you can also purchase heat wrap and use it on a SS header, shoot even on the ceramic ones. It's not like people can see the header in our cars anyways.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, the DC header doesn't come cheap, even on ebay. The cheapest I've seen it was second hand from people. That's how I got mine. They usually run 275+ on ebay + shipping.

Again, the only reason I considered the DC header was because this one was ceramic coated. Keep in mind you can also purchase heat wrap and use it on a SS header, shoot even on the ceramic ones. It's not like people can see the header in our cars anyways.
good point

·
3,453 Posts
^ I try to make those, although it doesn't usually happen.

I personally trust all the names dropped in this thread, and I know for a fact that Strup makes an excellent product. As L4rry_B1rd stated, get what fits into your budget. Also, a used header from a reputable person will be just as good as a new one, all you have to do is get some extreme cleaning solution and run it through. A buddy told me Simple Green works well, so I will pick some up on my next trip to the grocer, as my header will HOPEFULLY be installed Wednesday. It's supposed to be nice that day, 'round these parts.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you want to go cheap... go Megan 4-1. ($140)

If you can find a good deal, go with the MMW 4-2-1. ($200)

If you want to go name brand and can afford it, go DC 4-1 (ceramic). This is also your only CARB legal option. ($240)

If you want something a bit prettier (stainless) and can afford it, go Strup 4-1. ($280)

If you want to go all out, just to say you did, go Greddy 4-1. ($330)

I had my choice to buy any of these. I went with MMW. After installing the header, I would do the same again.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Next month in the TPR magazine there will be a dyno analysis on the headers for the xB.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to go cheap... go Megan 4-1. ($140)

If you can find a good deal, go with the MMW 4-2-1. ($200)

If you want to go name brand and can afford it, go DC 4-1 (ceramic). This is also your only CARB legal option. ($240)

If you want something a bit prettier (stainless) and can afford it, go Strup 4-1. ($280)

If you want to go all out, just to say you did, go Greddy 4-1. ($330)

I had my choice to buy any of these. I went with MMW. After installing the header, I would do the same again.
how long did i take to receive ur MMW header and where did u chose to buy it from?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'd spend your money elsewhere. The OE exhaust manifold is already tubular instead of a log style and works well.

I'd look at other options for the money.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up going with the Weapon-r header and i do like it

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have modded other cars before and am new with the xb. when installing the header is it straight bolt on or do you have to have it welded to a down pipe?

·
3,453 Posts
Didn'tcha know these cars are snap-tite? Pretty much everything comes off with simple hand tools! It's great!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went with the Greddy's easy to install - just dont forget that you'll need to get a 12mm open end to finish the job right - along with the regular ratchets a 1 foot ratchet extension for taking the OE bolts from under the car is good to have too.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.