Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 17" wheels and tires. The brand tires are Kumo and the maximum PSI is 40. My friend who has a shop set them for 36 PSI. Is that too much. I noticed the stock 15" wheels had a posted recommened 29 PSI. Could someone tell me what they recommend. Thanks.:)

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
30-35 should be fine. The Max PSI rating on the side wall of the tire is recommended for a full load at each corner. For example, if your tire has a max load rating of 1000 lbs, that means that with all 4 tires there is a max load rating of 1000 lbs at each corner, so 4000 lbs total. Being that the box only weighs about 1800 to 2000 lbs (can't remember) each tire will never even see close to its max weight capacity therefore you wouldn't need to inflate them to the Max PSI recommended. I would however use a little more pressure in the front than in the rear (engine weight).

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
Fatal - as a X-tire guy (10yrs in the biz) I can recommed anywhere between 30-36psi, its really up to you and what feels comfortable. As tires heat up they can gain as much as 6psi so running at 4psi below the max is the most I'd recommed. And if you run your tires in the lower PSI range be aware that if you overload them you could become victim to the Ford Explorer Rollover effect.....(Little tireguy J/K...the recall about 5 yrs back.....Not a tire issue..a underinflation issue) Try some different PSI's untill you find what you like....but always remeber to go off COLD TIRE PSI........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.