Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
the stock densos or NGKs are fine-but check the gap on the plugs because i found that event the ones from the factory were wrong, and replace them every 30k miles. i still cant figure out why only scions need them changed so often,every other car on the planet is every 100k miles, but mine were very worn after 30k.

·
Registered
368 Posts
well I believe that since we have a coil on plug set up that they, stock plugs, burn the contacts faster.

With no real loss between the coil pack and plug, they get a hotter spark causing faster wear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's actually cause it's a copper resistor plug and not an iridium or platinum plug. Why would toyota put a $10+ spark plug in a econo box. BTW all toyota's produced after 2002 (i think) are now timing chain and coil over plug. My older bros camry uses iridium plugs. I know this cause I work on his car all the time. Of course if you chose to do so you could put platinums or iridiums in the xB, real big difference is in the intervals at which you replace the spark plugs.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
ctruss said:
There is no reason at all what so ever to run a different plug than what comes in our cars stock unless you are running forced induction or nitrous.
if you say so. better spark , longer service life , supposed hp increase. . that's more than "no reason" to me.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You can't get any kind of noticable increase in hp just by swapping out spark plugs in a stock engine.

To get any sort of worthwhile increase you would have to upgrade plugs, coils, basically anything involved in delivering spark to the plugs.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
A medium plug everyonce in a while if the G/F has been drinking! Oh, wait, you meant in my car...my bad. :eek:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Two trains of thought on that one.
1. Wait until you really need it, ie. check engine light and sluggish performance when accelorating for a complete stop (in most cases)
2. Regular maintanence has you doing it every 30k miles.

You can use the Platinum or irridium plugs if you choose and you should get roughly 60k to 100-120k respectively. You will pay more for the plugs. Most GM manufactured cars now come with platinum spark plugs effectively allowing them to go 60-100k miles before a tunre up is needed. Toyota seems to have put copper resistor plugs in the lowest level cars like the xA and xB. The newer camry's are using irridium spark plugs.

You should do what you think is best but because of warranty reasons change the plugs soon, changing the spark plugs is part of emmissions warranties. Well, that is what I read every time I see a maintenance schedule, which BTW I suggest you check out. It's what toyota recommends at specific intervals. My opinion is that you should at least have them checked out to see the current condition of the spark plugs. I did mine at 31k miles, the tips were round and dead. the gap was about .50-.56 in other words as far as I was concerned it was time. Good Luck :D

·
Yakima Rack God
433 Posts
NGK Irids work excellent. The only huge improvements noticed were easier starting, better at idel(sp), a little improvement during acceleration but not really noticeable unless you drive your car hard.

·
Registered
759 Posts
not to sound like a noobie, but wat the hell is a gap in the plug?

no prob good question so i found this hope it helps out

its the gap diff gap diff spark or no spark

The spark plug's location exposes it to extreme temperature variations, chemicals, fuels and oils. It is also attacked by cylinder pressures produced by the piston and cam timing, then it is also assaulted by high-output ignition units. As a result of all of this, one can effectively learn what the engine is doing by reading the firing end of the spark plugs.

By careful examination of the plug's color, gap, and any deposits that reside on it, you will be shown the efficiencies as well as deficiencies of what is going on in the engine. Spark plugs should be checked at least yearly, and replaced as often as necessary. In most cases you can follow the manufacturers recommendations, but in a race car, our replacement intervals are quite frequent.

Always set the spark plug to the engine manufacturer's specified gap setting. A gap that is too small means that the spark duration will be very quick and the spark will be thin and weak. The consequences of this may be bad starting and high exhaust emission levels. This will result in an increase in fuel consumption. If the gap is set too large, the ignition system will not be able to cope with the demands and a misfire situation will occur. Some wide gap spark plugs have a longer ground electrode to accommodate a wide gap setting. These must be used where specified, as opening up a standard plug to a wider gap setting may result in the electrodes not running parallel to each other. This could result in abnormal and premature electrode wear.

i found this @ http://www.ngkntk.co.uk/technicaltips/sparkplugs.asp

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.