Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The dealer suggested 205/45...is that it or are other sizes compatible...does make/model make a difference...for example would 235/65 TR17 fit on any 17-in rim?

·
Registered
361 Posts
a 235/65 r17 will fit on any 17in wheel, but the wheel has a maximum size tire that it can handle. also that tire is a little too big to fit on your xb.

·
Registered
361 Posts
those wheels look good.
heres the tire size calculator I just plug in numbers and go from there...
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

I looked on there,it says that the closest to keep the speedometer accurate would be a 215/40r17.
that tire is going to be wider than a 205 so you might rub depending on your offset. I'd say you'd probally be ok with the 215.
just remember the first number is the width of the tire(215>205) second number is how tall the sidewall is(50>40) the last is the rim size.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those wheels look good.
heres the tire size calculator I just plug in numbers and go from there...
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

I looked on there,it says that the closest to keep the speedometer accurate would be a 215/40r17.
that tire is going to be wider than a 205 so you might rub depending on your offset. I'd say you'd probally be ok with the 215.
just remember the first number is the width of the tire(215>205) second number is how tall the sidewall is(50>40) the last is the rim size.
Yeah I think 17s and 18s are a tricky size for the box...I may just settle for 16x7s and get 205/50/r16 tires...what do you mean by 'offset'...my car has basically the same tires I had when I bought it 185/60r15...

·
Registered
361 Posts
its all good. live and learn.
as for offset, I'm sure someone on here has a link to give the technical definition. but basically lets say you have a 17x8 rim now the 8 is how wide the rim is if you have a 0 offset that would mean the mounting surface where the rim touches the rotor will be directly in the center of the rim. you can have positive or negative offset positive offset will move the mounting surface further out causing the wheel to sit inward or more under the vehicle. negative offset will move the mounting surface inward, causing the wheel to sit further out away from the car. sorry if I lost ya.... but its something like that.

·
Registered
974 Posts
205/45 if you are lowered
215/40 if you are NOT lowered

The 205's will give you a little more room in the front fenders so you don't rub if you are lowered.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
205 will look stretched on 7.5 rim. 215 will probably have sidewall and rim's lip at the same level. You may want to get tires with rim guard rib on the outside wall to be safer around curbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts