Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been covered before and it may be a stupid question, but I'm a new xB owner, so I thought I would ask here... What gas should I get at the pump? Should I get the lowest octane stuff (the 87), super unleaded (89) or the premium (91, I believe)... I'm a musician, not a car guy, sorry. Thanks for your advice!:)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Our xB's are tuned for the cheap stuff, thats why they are so good on gas. :)

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
From what I know, and read, because someone somewhere, I believe on here, posted a HUGE thing about gas and the octane ratings. Using anything higher than 87 won't benefit you at all unless you're using a turbo.

·
3,453 Posts
Well, I'm glad the 89 is cheaper for you. Here in the STL it's typically 10 cents more expensive - we're midwest too.

·
3,453 Posts
I'm serious, while I'm out tomorrow I can take some pics if I take my cam with me.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No, this isn't a stupid question.
You will get as many right answers, and as many arguments from all that answer it.

Best is to explain, our cars need a minimum of 87 octane, thats what they tell us. Many of us have been using 89 or higher. Reason you ask, I have found that by using 89 or higher I get a little more umph out of my box when pulling a load. Now here is why, our ECUs, while using the minimum, set our timing at a minimum ( retarded ) using the anti-knock sensor, when using the higher octane our timing is allowed to be advanced a bit more because it doesn't set off the anti-knock sensor. Does anyone understand ? I am trying to explain it best for everyone.

just because we can use 87 ( remember it is just a sugested minimum octane) doesn't always mean anything higher is a waste. I find it better to run 89 or higher for pulling our local Sunol Grade ( I think it is somewhere near 5%, not sure, don't remember exactly off hand),less knock, more advanced timing, more power ( ever so slightly). Besides, my NOS loves the higher octane.

Remember the change in the hp rating of our cars? some of the change was due to the fact that they used 91 octane to get the 108 hp rating, where they changed to the lower hp rating doing their testing with 87 ( and a/c,powersteering and such added as well.)

So use what ever you wish, just make sure it is a minimum of 87.
Oh yeah, and just to let you know, ethanol in the gas reacts with some of the plastics used in our fuel systems. has an effect of breaking down the fuel sock ( in tank fuel filter). hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your advice! That helps a bunch! I just got off the phone with the tag agency and just about left a mess on my couch after hearing how much tags are going to be:eek: ... AND THIS IS A PRE-OWNED xB! I guess gas prices are the least of my worries now:)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
As everyone else has said, 87 is all that is needed, although in some rare circumstances one can wring out a smidgen more power with 89. The difference is nearly unnoticeable, and doesn't appear to affect gas mileage AT ALL.

More important than "what octane" (as long as it is at least 87) is "what quality."

Toyota/Scion strongly recommends using only "Top Tier" gasolines in our little engines, and that means not buying the super-cheapo "Joe and Frank's Discount Gasoline" stuff.

It really does make a difference, not so much in performance, but in longevity.

Take a quick look here for a listing of Toyota/Scion approved gasolines:

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Take care of your little box, and it will take care of you. :D

Tom

·
Registered
354 Posts
Best is to explain, our cars need a minimum of 87 octane, thats what they tell us. Many of us have been using 89 or higher. Reason you ask, I have found that by using 89 or higher I get a little more umph out of my box when pulling a load. Now here is why, our ECUs, while using the minimum, set our timing at a minimum ( retarded ) using the anti-knock sensor, when using the higher octane our timing is allowed to be advanced a bit more because it doesn't set off the anti-knock sensor. Does anyone understand ? I am trying to explain it best for everyone.
Yes i understand

I use 89 I used to use 87 but everytime I would accelerate hard weather from stop or while at speeds I could smell excess gas because engine would run rich.. I read that is was becuase the knock sensor would retard the timing to prevent it from detenating to soon so cause it to run rich and i snelt the excess fuel. but since changing to 89 i dont smell the excess gas when i do decide to accelerate hard plus me personally has gained me a little bit in milage not alot but a little bit maybe about 1 mpg

and my 89 grade is about $.10 more so about $1 more when i feel up but me personally I feel that the extra 1 mpg about 10 mile (i normally need about 10 gals each time i feel up) and no smell of gas when accelerate hard is worth it.

also started using 89 in my wifes 07 camry and there is a slight difference in the way it accelerates little bit more pep.. was a little sluggish at first now its not but again thats my perception and my wife noticed a difference and she is not a car person.

plus i did read somewhere that with a higher compression ratio like our engines have its better to run higher octane and not the 87..

But if you are not going to be trying to speed demon the xB like the rest of us just going to use it for economy then 87 would be fine without any issues.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah, a surprise to many folks that "Mobil" is not listed, but all that means is that while their fuel meets federal standards, not all grades of it, in all regions meet the higher Toyota standards. (The other choice is that Mobil has chosen not to test their fuels and qualify them for the "Top Tier" designation, but...)

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use 85-86 (87 is considered mid-grade here).

The altitude and lack of O2 up here deadens the engine quite a bit. Even the LS6 only requires 91 (compared to 93 in Texas).

When I say quite a bit I am talking the xB can barely maintain without downshifting when moving up a hill compared to how it ran at sealevel in Texas.

The cheap stuff is the good stuff either way since the engine isn't highly modded.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.