Scion xB Forum banner
15641 - 15660 of 15683 Posts

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,123 Posts
Awesome huge thanks 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼
Following are some observations from when I installed the Rostra cruise control kit number 250-1755 on my 2005 xB with automatic transmission. The online instructions at their website may have improved since September of 2005.
___

Step 1
No need to remove the firewall grommet. Removing it does not make it easier to cut and reinstalling it can be troublesome. The grommet has two membranes, and both need to be cut. Make a cut on the engine compartment side and then cut at the same level on the interior side. Push a thin solid wire rod through as a feeder line into the interior, then wrap the cruise harness wire around the feeder and pull it back into the engine compartment. The putty supplied with the kit works very well for sealing the cut.

Step 2 In order to accommodate the throttle cable which runs beneath the cruise control’s mounting bracket, install the control module at an angle with the front slanted upward.

Step 3 Difficult to use the throttle cable clip to route; you may choose to ignore this instruction. The cable assembly follows the vehicle’s throttle cable, but it does not easily tie to, nor fit in, the cable clip. This is not important if the cable does not droop or kink.

Step 4 Difficult to get a torque wrench in position to tighten this nut. Take the throttle to the physical stop and then tighten it. It is not easy to see which cable nut is the rear, but either of the two will accept the throttle lever bracket and this does not matter if the length is adjusted to have only a slight slack (0.06” - 0.10”). The note in a box on the bottom left of Page 5 states to remove the threaded snap-in connector to adjust slack; but does not say how. Take a screwdriver and gently pry out the fitting. Then it is easy to adjust and readjust until there is only slight play.

Step 5 Strange; in the Rostra instructions document, there is not a Step 5.

Step 6 The brake switch is the black connector at the top of brake pedal, not the white one further up under dash.

Step 7 Skip this step for automatic transmission models.

Step 8 Almost impossible to twist around in the car to see what is shown in figure 16B, and difficult to remove connectors and add a wire.

Identifier 1N is not indicated anywhere on the connector.

Figure 16C is showing the pin side connectors and they are mirror images to what can be seen on the car. The wire needed is on the bottom row, second wire in, starting from the outboard of the passenger side of the car. The xB has a black and white wire in position 6.

Add a circuit fuse in the unused fuse slot above the 15-amp fuse marked ACC. Cut off its receptacle connector and clamp or solder on a blade connector, then place it on an unused terminal at the front of the fuse box. Test for a power slot that is switched. The cruise control has two fuses of its own.

Step 9 In both the printed paper instructions which come with the cruise control, and in the PDF version of the instructions, Figure 20 is too poor to determine which connector is the one needed. Figure 19 shows the connectors facing the pin side. Since it is not necessary to disconnect the connector, the installer never sees the pin side. The installer would assume the picture is of the slot side; it is not. Reverse the image for a better understanding.

There are four connector plugs in a horizontal row under the dash, directly below the glove box. VSS is on the second connector from the right. The connector is black. The VSS wire is in the second row up, rightmost, pin 17, which is a violet and white stripe wire on the 2005.

NSS is on the third connector from the right. The connector is white. The NSS wire is in the third row up, rightmost, pin 8, and is black.

Step 10 The lower steering cover has three screws and requires rotating the steering wheel to access. The instructions do not specify if the hole is drilled in front or behind the rib on the inside of the column cover. Following the 5/8" instruction, the hole comes out on a rib. Mounting to the side of the rib closer to the steering wheel seems to be best. Measure carefully and drill adjunct to a plastic rib on the back side, which must then be trimmed or torn off with pliers to get the shroud, the lock, and the jam nuts, to fit.

NOTE: The bolt identified in the kit as M-6 was left over. Maybe it has something to do with installing the kit in a manual transmission xB.

Hope these can assist your installation.
Frank

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have installed a throttle cable cc before but has been a little minute.....almost a daunting sounding task....almost

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,123 Posts
I have installed a throttle cable cc before but has been a little minute.....almost a daunting sounding task....almost
The Rostra cruise control installation is straightforward and is not difficult. It simply takes patience and attention to the steps (except for the elusive Installation Step number 5).

·
Registered
716 Posts
So, not as crazy as adding st whl controls and intermingling spiral cable parts? I hope not, lol.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,680 Posts
Another day.... You know the rest..

Sent from my pimped out xB

Reactions: se-r_dad

·
Old School xB Builder
1,680 Posts
Photos do not do it justice.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Following are some observations from when I installed the Rostra cruise control kit number 250-1755 on my 2005 xB with automatic transmission. The online instructions at their website may have improved since September of 2005.
___

Step 1
No need to remove the firewall grommet. Removing it does not make it easier to cut and reinstalling it can be troublesome. The grommet has two membranes, and both need to be cut. Make a cut on the engine compartment side and then cut at the same level on the interior side. Push a thin solid wire rod through as a feeder line into the interior, then wrap the cruise harness wire around the feeder and pull it back into the engine compartment. The putty supplied with the kit works very well for sealing the cut.

Step 2 In order to accommodate the throttle cable which runs beneath the cruise control’s mounting bracket, install the control module at an angle with the front slanted upward.

Step 3 Difficult to use the throttle cable clip to route; you may choose to ignore this instruction. The cable assembly follows the vehicle’s throttle cable, but it does not easily tie to, nor fit in, the cable clip. This is not important if the cable does not droop or kink.

Step 4 Difficult to get a torque wrench in position to tighten this nut. Take the throttle to the physical stop and then tighten it. It is not easy to see which cable nut is the rear, but either of the two will accept the throttle lever bracket and this does not matter if the length is adjusted to have only a slight slack (0.06” - 0.10”). The note in a box on the bottom left of Page 5 states to remove the threaded snap-in connector to adjust slack; but does not say how. Take a screwdriver and gently pry out the fitting. Then it is easy to adjust and readjust until there is only slight play.

Step 5 Strange; in the Rostra instructions document, there is not a Step 5.

Step 6 The brake switch is the black connector at the top of brake pedal, not the white one further up under dash.

Step 7 Skip this step for automatic transmission models.

Step 8 Almost impossible to twist around in the car to see what is shown in figure 16B, and difficult to remove connectors and add a wire.

Identifier 1N is not indicated anywhere on the connector.

Figure 16C is showing the pin side connectors and they are mirror images to what can be seen on the car. The wire needed is on the bottom row, second wire in, starting from the outboard of the passenger side of the car. The xB has a black and white wire in position 6.

Add a circuit fuse in the unused fuse slot above the 15-amp fuse marked ACC. Cut off its receptacle connector and clamp or solder on a blade connector, then place it on an unused terminal at the front of the fuse box. Test for a power slot that is switched. The cruise control has two fuses of its own.

Step 9 In both the printed paper instructions which come with the cruise control, and in the PDF version of the instructions, Figure 20 is too poor to determine which connector is the one needed. Figure 19 shows the connectors facing the pin side. Since it is not necessary to disconnect the connector, the installer never sees the pin side. The installer would assume the picture is of the slot side; it is not. Reverse the image for a better understanding.

There are four connector plugs in a horizontal row under the dash, directly below the glove box. VSS is on the second connector from the right. The connector is black. The VSS wire is in the second row up, rightmost, pin 17, which is a violet and white stripe wire on the 2005.

NSS is on the third connector from the right. The connector is white. The NSS wire is in the third row up, rightmost, pin 8, and is black.

Step 10 The lower steering cover has three screws and requires rotating the steering wheel to access. The instructions do not specify if the hole is drilled in front or behind the rib on the inside of the column cover. Following the 5/8" instruction, the hole comes out on a rib. Mounting to the side of the rib closer to the steering wheel seems to be best. Measure carefully and drill adjunct to a plastic rib on the back side, which must then be trimmed or torn off with pliers to get the shroud, the lock, and the jam nuts, to fit.

NOTE: The bolt identified in the kit as M-6 was left over. Maybe it has something to do with installing the kit in a manual transmission xB.

Hope these can assist your installation.
Frank
............and it begins.............with simple effective RF switch placement....tommorrow will start with pulling oem intake for work room of cc install and going back with the recently scored NIB Injen air intake with Injen water resistant filter cover. Multimod action............

Automotive design Personal luxury car Carbon Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
716 Posts
Huge cluster f in the cc module mounting area with stb and ground wire hub making for very tight fit. If I force the issue it will involve fabbing a bracket for module to hang from one of the stb tubes but.......battery very close underneath and changing out battery will involve unplugging and moving module out of the way. Relocating ground wire hub and rerouting all those will not be fun if i go with using strut tower bolt hole and supplied module bracket. Lot to consider seeing how this car is surface street town car 99% of the time and having other more suitable frwy speed vehicles that already have cc.........think I am going for a bike ride instead of getting trapped in some unwinnable project at the moment.

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part
Coil Motor vehicle Gas Rim Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door Rim Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,123 Posts
Huge cluster f in the cc module mounting area with stb and ground wire hub making for very tight fit.
Here is a picture of my xB circa November 2005 with the Hotchkis bar and the Rostra module installed. As you surmise, battery removal does necessitate unplugging the module and removing its two bolts; the bar remains in place. The installation decision comes down to how often the battery will require removing versus time to fabricate an alternative module mount. However you choose, repositioning of the ground wire hub looks to be requisite.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
716 Posts
An optima is in the near future so hopefully that'll not be an issue. While battery and air intake out of the way there are also clutch cable doodads that'll find their new home

·
Old School xB Builder
1,680 Posts

Still at it

Reactions: se-r_dad

·
Registered
716 Posts
Found pic of the daughter's xB from days gone by while cleaning up pic folders on my surface. Forgot how cool hers was....
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

lol at neighborhood still being built...this pic must have been winter of 2009. We moved into our house in April that year....2nd house completed in this section

Got some camping accessories that the box could make use of........
100w foldable solar panel.....will even charge car batteries.

power station that will charge off wall, 12v in vehicle or solar panel above. Has 3 usb, ac, ac grounded, 2 usb-c & 3 12v dc outlets. Will fully charge iphone 15 times. will run laptops, lights, small fan or small fridge......

Yellow Audio equipment Gas Rectangle Gadget

Also backup setup to whole house generator at home.......

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yeah, hers was cool but diggin my little shady character more tho.............
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car
Car Vehicle Plant Grille Tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Old School xB Builder
1,680 Posts
Spent all day working on my new car trailer which is for hauling the xb's. Does that count? I picked up an all steel car trailer yesterday with steel hideaway ramps. Its an older one and was covered in rust. I towed it home with only 3 wheels on it! I had to buy new tires for it. They were all dry rotted from sitting in the sun for years. So today i used a wire wheel all day sanding it down with 40 grit flap wheel. I only had about an hour more and would have been ready for a new paint job. Wouldn't you know it after sanding off all the damn rust on it, it started raining.. So i just covered it up with two tarps. All the wheels are off and its sitting on jack stands. I repaired the damaged fenders and welded them back together. Was gonna paint it gloss black with tractor, truck, and implement paint. So i went to tractor supply. bought two gallons. Planned to use a spray gun and my compressor. If it hadn't rained, i would be waiting for the first coat to dry. Its an oil based paint and resists rust. I will use the trailer to bring my xb home hopefully next week so i can reasembe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting my 100k 2009 xb back on the road after a year resting (rusting) out in back of the shed

Mechanicals
Recent clutch and 50 series tires
I've got new pads and rotors
New Slerpentine Belt - Hoses -
Am I missing anything mechanical the goes around 100k?
Axles seem fine - boots look ok
Shocks pass my bump test ....
How long do stock exhausts last ?

Cosmetics:
I WASHED IT , and fixed front bumper damage + new headlites + driving and backup lights

·
Old School xB Builder
1,680 Posts
That would depend on the rust.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,680 Posts
Back at it. First the trailer... Then the xb

Reactions: jawhn and se-r_dad

·