Scion xB Forum banner

15521 - 15540 of 15567 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
4 M10x1.25x 50mm bolts + 4 stacks of 5 stainless M12 washers = both of the front of the front seats being an inch higher which feels like more legroom and more chill angle of the seat bottom. No affect on steering wheel reach or leg clearance getting in and out with column all the way down.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,047 Posts
4 M10x1.25x 50mm bolts + 4 stacks of 5 stainless M12 washers = both of the front of the front seats being an inch higher which feels like more legroom and more chill angle of the seat bottom. No affect on steering wheel reach or leg clearance getting in and out with column all the way down.
Interesting; please post some pictures of that seating.

·
Registered
575 Posts
not really much difference in looks, it's definitely a feel thing. just loosen all bolts, remove 2 front ones, place stack of washers between front leg and floor and then new bolt with washer back in. you can use 4 to 8 washers for desired effect but getting bolt back in gets harder after 6. I used 5 underneath and 1 on top. With 5 the little peg still covers the hole it sits in. Driving it to work today to get full effect but did hit a drive thru after doing it. Feels like more legroom more thigh support.

Here's a pic of someone else's.......mine not rusty like that.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,047 Posts
How about a profile picture of the seat's new angle of deflection?

Grade 8 bolts used? Are you going to crash test the innovation? 🤣

·
Registered
575 Posts
How about a profile picture of the seat's new angle of deflection?

Grade 8 bolts used? Are you going to crash test the innovation? 🤣
Yes, always grade 8. No testing. The part to be concerned about is still how strong are the threads in the floor that the bolt is screwed into and floorboard metal.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,047 Posts
Yes, always grade 8. No testing. The part to be concerned about is still how strong are the threads in the floor that the bolt is screwed into and floorboard metal.
I like the look and the reduced pressure on the legs from the front of the seat. I might try that on my xB.

A calculation probably exists to determine the amount of the seat's inertia resistance to opposing force exerted on the seat rails, and on the floorboard, attributed to the introduction of the washers. I do not know such a calculation, nor am I qualified to create one. However, there probably is a reduced inertia with use of the washers and the longer bolts versus the mass support of the full contact by the rail footings with the floor.
Using the OEM configuration as the baseline of the seat's inertia, it is reasonable to assume the additional length of the fastening bolts above the top floor thread increases the effectiveness of applied energy from any external source, such as a vehicle crash. Leverage is amplified by the bolts' length. Archimedes said it best; n'est pas?
Secondary to the equation is the reduction of surface to surface inertia mass contact with the use of circular spacers to elevate the front rail feet. This reduction of mass affects their ability to resist applied energy altering their static position. If the rail spacers were square shaped, additional inertia support would be realized.
A tertiary factor is the direction from which the external energy is provided. Different azimuth points of applied energy to a vehicle in a crash provide varying amounts of force. Motor vehicles are crash rated by various impact approaches.

Over all, I doubt the change you made would affect the safety factor even by a cat's ass hair. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I highly condone the practice of not crashing......irregardless of seat attachment.

I once did a super dangerous thing and drove a car with a tire sitting on the floor with a layout chair on top of it leaning back on the folded forward rear seat. I can't believe I survived. Only because of no crashing. Not crashing is key. I did wear the seatbelt tho......

·
Registered
575 Posts
Will probably score 4 of these 1" versions to replace washer stacks eventually......

·
Registered
575 Posts
Rear lighting action swap coming......bought flasher module for 3rd brake light to flash 4 times then solid and putting the brake lights in taillight housings back to non-strobe. Not real thrilled with the brightness of the LED bulbs in the housings and would rather have 3rd brake light do the flashing. Bought the non-programmable module that just has 3 speeds of flash depending on how you wire it. Most other modules flash 4 times fast then 4 times slow.....more flashing than I want. Don't really care for buncha different modes with the programmable one either.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those are beauty's, and look more consistent to your xB's quality. (y)
Have to look closer at that little locating pin that has it's own hole next to bolt hole and see if those billet spacers can be drilled for those and/or if they clear pin without need for modifying. I actually have those spacers under back feet of seats in my tacoma due to those sitting low and also gives me one more lean back click since i added double cab storage bins behind buckets in my regular cab. Same parts to do different thing in the xB. They aren't cheap as washers, lol....washers are trial thing to see how it felt and I do like the feel so after nabbing one from the truck for test fit will probably score a set for the box.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,047 Posts
Have to look closer at that little locating pin that has it's own hole next to bolt hole and see if those billet spacers can be drilled for those and/or if they clear pin without need for modifying. ...
Check Toyota/Scion Technical Service Bulletin number NV004-06, Dated May 23, 2006. It addresses a reported issue with the seat track locating pin and the floor pan location hole. The authorized solution may be useful to your mod.

·
Old School xB Builder
1,600 Posts
Been playing with my daily

Sent from my pimped out xB

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,569 Posts
Today I ordered braided stainless steel brake lines for my 08. This was necessitated by that blowing out my front right line yesterday while coming to the bottom of a nice long hill. Foot on brake, then foot to floor with no pedal pressure.:poop: Followed up with down shifting quickly and pulling the e-brake. Managed to not go into the T-intersection, puled a U and drove back up the hill home and swapped cars.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
1,047 Posts
Good save! Glad you are okay and had the presence of mind to apply the e-brake.
Are you going with the steel lines all around?

15521 - 15540 of 15567 Posts