Scion xB Forum banner

15121 - 15140 of 15178 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
manual or automatic? just did my gearbox oil, was easy......automatic might be easier and more effective to have it done. less mess too. they hook it up to machine that sucks out the old fluid and pushes new fluid in while car is running. that way all the fluid gets changed, not just what is in pan. there is more in the torque converter than in the pan. torque converter doesn't drain just by pulling plug on pan. about a third of fluid is in pan and 2/3 in the torque converter.

manual is 2 qts of gear oil and just involves drain plug, removing air intake and removing 24mm nut on top of gearbox to put long funnel in and pour 2 qts in and put nut back in and air intake back on.
I have automatic, For sure I've seen and heard of people doing a complete flush of all-trans fluid with the machine. sadly I can't do it at home. I did hear the pros and cons of doing that all over the internet. I want to do pan only and next time possibly find a place to do flush for me. maybe jiffy lube can do it ill look into it. do yall have pricing in Los Angeles for complete Trans Fluid change? or location? much appreciated thinking of doing that tonight at least myself do pan and filter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had my Mazda done at a lube place with a machine for the flush but I provided the 9 qts of AMSOIL fluid. Also had the power steering done pretty much the same way at different place that did the BG Services flush/fluid. With the mileage on your box it may be safer to just drain pan, refill with however much new fluid came out, drive a week and repeat about 3 times so it phases in the new fluid.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have automatic, For sure I've seen and heard of people doing a complete flush of all-trans fluid with the machine. sadly I can't do it at home. I did hear the pros and cons of doing that all over the internet. I want to do pan only and next time possibly find a place to do flush for me. maybe jiffy lube can do it ill look into it. do yall have pricing in Los Angeles for complete Trans Fluid change? or location? much appreciated thinking of doing that tonight at least myself do pan and filter.
Machine flush is not recommended for vehicles with high mileage. I did drain and fill, cranked it, went through all the gears, turn off, and do it all over two more times. Your fluid will all be fresh and red like new , torque converter as well. Many have reported that after a machine flush their transmission goes toast. This is because tiny metal shavings from normal wear gets pushed into places they should not be in. Transmission in an automatic has many channels like inside an ant hill where fluid travels.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
I purchased mine used, so I never knew the original price, nor can find anyone to confirm the brand. The only markings I ever saw is the NIN on the underside. Assumedly no one in the NIN band made it. I sold mine to the owner from which you acquired the cover.
This cover indeed has NIN marking underneath and looks pretty much new, even has the QA passed sticker underneath. I don't see much if any signs of actual usage on it. looks all clean and shiny new. How long did you use it? 45 minutes or so at most, lol.....I have an extra VVT-I badge to adorn it with like the one I put on the hatch. Of course the cheap fake useless Chinese knockoff 3M tape will be swapped for the actual 3M stuff like I did with hatch badge. Might be something to do tommorrow. Not too motivated to take dash and center console apart to install under dash/seat LED lighting and bluetooth kit with it being 100+ degrees this weekend. Still waiting on the other 2 green LEDs to complete kit for front and back. Thinking lighting will run with dome light instead of being switched and need to contemplate mic, aux/usb ports and answer button for fon locations to do bluetooth kit. Mostly, I want to ride bikes but that'll have to be way early morning or night ride with it being so crazy hot.....will post up pic of engine cover tomorrow.......

·
Registered
309 Posts
Machine flush is not recommended for vehicles with high mileage. I did drain and fill, cranked it, went through all the gears, turn off, and do it all over two more times. Your fluid will all be fresh and red like new , torque converter as well. Many have reported that after a machine flush their transmission goes toast. This is because tiny metal shavings from normal wear gets pushed into places they should not be in. Transmission in an automatic has many channels like inside an ant hill where fluid travels.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I did my car around 35k, not 187k which is why I changed course in my post due to his mileage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Alrighty then.......bored holes on cover to fit over posts barely without forcing them thru. Scrounged up hardware so the top of valve cover had thin flat washer with rubber washer for cover to sit on then rubber washer thin flat washer and smaller diameter thin flat washer on top of cover with oem acorns holding it down. Wanted the cover to not be torqued on by metal and also needed to take up a bit of post height with hardware to allow acorn to snug down without bottoming out since the cf cover is thinner than oem and oem has a rubberized spacer/washer built into it. Scraped off junk doublesided tape on emblem and went back with good ole 3M stuff and centered it onto cover. Not sure I like this better than the nice oem cover it came with but there ya go...................mostly cuz cf is contagious....like now I "need" the cf ADP like bunghole has on his, lol. I might better put the oem plastic cover back on before this gets out of hand.

20200710_113915.jpg
20200710_113932.jpg
20200710_114004.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
NEXT..............bluetooth adapter for fon with 3.5mm aux and USB wired inputs............

20200710_120616.jpg

top right - microphone
middle right - white CD1 plug to back of oem HU
bottom right - remote switch to answer/hang up/next/back
top left - green 3.5mm aux input
bottom left - USB audio input/charging

According to instructions, and logic, the steering wheel controls should also do next/back using either input source so the remote will be located somewhere convenient to answer or hang up fon....although that could be done from screen of fon too. Almost debating even using the remote switch. Will just run input cables to glovebox until a suitable dash panel is had....most likely the square above the glovebox so no drilling or cutting necessary. I can find spot for mic without cutting.

Mic is under left center console AC vent on silver trim and switch ended up in the oven for now...............

·
Registered
309 Posts
Current hatch view......VVT-I emblem, DC Sports tip, debadged bB bumper protector, back to xB oem emblem and back to xB rr wiper/arm since I found a good one that arm doesn't touch glass. Avoid the cheapest ones. Paratti is nice alternative to oem....$30 instead of $60 or more.

20200710_143548.jpg

How many things can you spot going on in the reflection? I see a shark riding a bike, a TV & more.............this is not a contest or pop quiz. There are no prizes and please, no wagering.

Post #2fitty.....woohoo! 👀

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im gona try and start a new thread on "What did u do to your XB today"

I'll start.

I put my winter tires away and put my spring/summer tires back on. Lowered it back down and put my Tusdo (sp) back on.

J.
My front and rear sway bar just came in. I can’t wait to get it installed on Tuesday when I’m off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
open the box open the box open the box.........let's see the pretty parts!

Sorry, couldn't wait..............

·
see you in surgery
343 Posts
open the box open the box open the box.........let's see the pretty parts!

Sorry, couldn't wait..............

View attachment 78406
I own one,and it was a ***** to put the front one in ...
I worked in surgery for 25 years as a surgical nurse . I would rather do 10 lap chole in a row than put that bar in...
Maybe it was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own one,and it was a * to put the front one in ...
I worked in surgery for 25 years as a surgical nurse . I would rather do 10 lap chole in a row than put that bar in...
Maybe it was me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a shop that does all my service. The owner told me he would install for $100 .

15121 - 15140 of 15178 Posts