Scion xB Forum banner

14941 - 14960 of 14997 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thinking I'm putting the ILL switch in the last unused slot in center of lower dash by elongating 2 wires...not really wanting to cut hole in center console next to Ebrake like where it was but connection to existing unused blue console plug for power and the led lights to go in backside of cupholders needs to be down in there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Now comes the research part about finding pinouts and wire colors for back of stereo and spiral cable harness to make the harness to run str whl audio controls. I found one plug from back of stereo has 5 of the 7 same colored ones coming from whl. Other 2 from wheel should be for oem cruise that the tC had.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Fresh new oem armrest installed. Really stable. Like it better than that other one I have. Like having the rear cupholder. Sunglasses can ride in the oven. Also view of the tC 5spd shift knob......

20200511_162826.jpg

20200511_163003.jpg

Armrest just goes with motif of oem quirkiness.....other one, not so much. Easier to reach Ebrake and also flips up out of way are plussesess......

·
Registered
184 Posts
Opinions on water temp gauge at bottom of dash? Still not sold on it and not permanently installed. Does interfere with taller objects in passenger cupholder slightly. Thinking maybe scoring another upper dash and drilling hole for it next to speedo which would be ideal spot but lot of work to make that happen and be perfect due to always be seeing it. No room for error and not positive of there being enough depth there for the gauge. Then I would also want to do 2 holes so there'd be water temp and oil pressure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's completely hollow behind the section of the dash right in front of the driver next to the speedo. I have 3 52mm (2") gauges in mine. And the upper dash isn't too difficult to take off. There are screws in the speaker holes, one behind the instrument cluster and the one I always forget about, the airbag has a nut holding the whole dash down above the glove box. You'll have to take off the center consoles bezel, which has 2 screws behind the left and right AC knobs. And I believe that is it. If you're tearing apart your dash to wire in the steering wheel controls, then may as well do it all at once.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow, those drink tray things are cool af. Are those for shows or do they stay while driving? Thanks for info on dash space for gauges. Confirmed the coolness of having them there.

If I'm looking at wiring diagrams correctly, hopefully, it appears I only need green, orange and pink wires connected from black 12 pin coming from sprial cable to same 3 on the 20 pin connector on stereo side. If someone could confirm that that would be fabulous but fixing to elongate those 3 wires as I have both ends, and plug it in and see what happens before routing it thru the dash. I also have the control harness and correct spiral cable to make it all happen. Fingers crossed and will be sitting in passenger seat when testing it out, lol..........will report back with results and pics for others to do it if that simple. Seems to be lots of 06 and 07 tC donors in the junkyards. Also, the tC's also have the oem cruise stalk and connection on spiral cable for that option to be considered. Maybe later....would just need the black plastic off back of wheel with opening since I have an extra stalk from my Tacoma that looks to be exact unit. If not then just rear plastic from wheel and stalk. Cheap score from junkyard........then the wiring and control connection fun. Not right now, lol.

As far as the "ILL" button thing for cupholder illumination.....has to be oem thing the way it plugged into blue connector inside shifter console, comes on with parking lights and has 10 settings like stereo for different colors including mixer. I put switch in lower dash by fog and security slots and elongated the 2 switch wires long enough to connect to harness in shifter console. Love it! Best surprise score of the day from junkyard yesterday.

20200512_161614.jpg
20200512_161550.jpg

·
Registered
184 Posts
Harness works but clockspring not right. I have 3 besides the one that came on the car and none of them have the right gray plug connector. The tC spiral cable doesn't even have the gray connector on it. The other 2 supposed 2006 spiral cables have the gray connector but plug is different than the 04 one. I left gray plug unplugged and air bag off the wheel and used my harness plugged to tC spiral cable and wheel controls did work the stereo. Now I just need to find spiral cable with yellow connector for airbag, black 12 pin connector with all 12 pins in it (04 only has 3 pins in there) and this other gray connector on it.

20200512_131301.jpg

pic of both ends of control harness before adding wire in between to make it long enough to get from column to stereo. Every wiring diagram I found said green, pink & orange wires.

·
xB Leaving Pit Soon
895 Posts
Located and corrected another roof leak in the xB. Although the water accumulation was in the cargo area, the intrusion was at the passenger side front roof seam above the windshield. Finally ready to install the sound and heat reduction material.

04_Toaster; you mentioned looking for a rear hatch spoiler and missing out on Lava, Camo, Blue , and Silver at the salvage yard. If the color is not an issue for you, I have a brand new Gen1 OEM Scion spoiler part number 08150-52860-D1 in color Salsa Red Pearl (paint code 03Q3). I opened the box but never installed the spoiler. All components are there including the hardware, instructions, and templates. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was only sorta interested in the blue one because already right color. not really interested in drilling 4 holes in the hatch. was looking at the others because someone said they needed the bolt covers. right now most interested in which clockspring part number i need that has 3 connections and correct gray connector for mine to plug into so i can have working steering wheel audio controls. the harness i made works with one clockspring but that one doesn't have all the connections for my wiring it needs. thanks for the offer tho. what other goodies you got laying around?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm hatching a plan to mix and match clocksprings to enable the stereo controls on the 06 wheel on the 04......The wiring harness I made from harvested connections to stereo end of dash harness and the column connections + spiral cable from 06 tC do indeed control my oem t1806 HU as they should - Woohoo!......but, there is an extra connection in the 04 harness with extra piece on back of it's spiral cable that isn't on the tC spiral cable that has a gray connector on it.

More details to story...I received 2 spiral cables with wheel that do have all 12 pins in the black connector - only 3 pins in the 04 spiral cable. Need one with all the 12 pins to run audio. Both have different gray connector than on the harness in my 04 to plug in so no plug n play there. Unusable right? So I proceeded to sit at my bar and attempt to dissect one of those that came with wheel out of some sort of twisted curiosity and sheer hardheadedness and a dash of determination. Guess what I found out.......the part on the back with the gray connector appears to be something associated with VSC or TRAC control with some gears that move with steering wheel connected to a small circuit board and the best part is that it is separate from the part with the spiral unit that just clips to the back of it and has a couple of slots that turn the gears in the gray connector part.

What all this gibberish means is I believe I can take the VSC or TRAC control unit off the back of my 04 spiral cable and install it on the back of the 06 tC spiral cable and have all the right connections to run audio controls after routing the harness I made thru the dash to back of the stereo, VSC or TRAC control still happy, airbag happy & just have to figure out which extra wire coming from 12 pin side of harness by wheel I need to connect to the single wire I have now to run horn. Looks like purple unused wire in new harness coming from spiral cable is in same spot on connector where the 04 horn wire connected before. I should be able to connect that wire to the single red/white wire that is in 04 column harness to run horn. Have found that and veirified it is horn wire according to wiring diagrams too. Here's hoping.

I know this sounds a little, or lot, mad scientist but I am game at this point.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tomorrow is big day for stereo controls on wheel...think I might have it figured out (fingers crossed) If successful........WHEN successful will post up pics and specific recipe of harness and spiral combo.........in one of the existing steering wheel control threads already floating around unfinished with no win in them..........

·
Registered
184 Posts
OMG, STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROLS IN 2004 WORKS!!!!!!!!...........details forthcoming after cleaning up harness, taking pics, putting things back together & dancing an effin jig! So stoked! Will probably just do my own thread instead of cluttering this one up further or adding to other dead end ones. Will update this post with link to new thread. Stay tuned...........(for whoever this will even help at this point, lol)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yesterday after doing steering wheel controls, took the RAM-B-367U Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with 1" Ball off of my truck to test fit it in a couple of places in the box for fon holder since I have a few other pieces of the RAM parts including extra X grip holder. Tried using the front screw of the grab bar on driver's side but angle was weird and needed to use longer mount which was not stable as I'd like it to be plus looking up to left not as natural and safe as looking towards rr view mirror area. So I went with the left M4 screw on the rr view mirror and got X grip up above mirror and where when fon is in it, it touches the headliner slightly and induces more stability along with being able to use shorter mount from ball to Xgrip. The viewing angle is much better too and both sunvisors clear fon when mounted up there. Gonna roll widdit and see how I like it. Fon is also additional gauge panel using bluetooth obdii adapter and torque app. Made a dashboard with water temp, mpg and compass in the app....doesn't do oil pressure. Here's a coupla pics of the mount. Have to use another fon to get pics of mine up there, lol..................

20200514_161827.jpg
20200514_161837.jpg

·
Old School xB Builder
1,554 Posts

Sent from my pimped out xB

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice score of some oem accessories over the weekend thanks to Myopic's informative posts in Accessory List thread and stb he had on hand. Thanks for further cluing up of a box newbie............

Valor exhaust tip - used off ebay
AEM billet oil filler cap-gray - new off ebay
AEM battery tie down-gray - new off ebay
Hotchkis STB - used great deal courtesy of Myopic

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thread updated...................

·
Old School xB Builder
1,554 Posts
wiper stalk score on the cheap.....adjustable intermittent FTW!!!.........04 up matrix or vibe and maybe a couple other cars.

View attachment 78118
I have one of those and each one of my XBs. I never could figure out why Scion decided not to use it when you can interchange the part from another Toyota...

Sent from my pimped out xB

14941 - 14960 of 14997 Posts