Scion xB Forum banner

12461 - 12480 of 14792 Posts

·
Needing Toaster Time
687 Posts
Finally washed my Dirty Toaster, although I can't say it did much good. :(

I got stuck behind some tanker truck a few weeks ago, going through a construction area at night, and didn't notice until the next morning that the damn things was leaking oil all over my Polar White. I didn't even see it until I got to work the next morning (sorry, but getting my toddler in the car each morning is absolute chaos and requires my FULL undivided attention), and haven't had the opportunity to wash it until TODAY.

And the oil stains aren't coming out. I gather that by now they are IN the paint. I experimented with some clay, to no avail.

PLEASE HELP??!?!?!?!

Dings and chips in my paint, especially the front end, I can tolerate because it's too late. But this disgustingness that looks like some kid just decided to dribble dark grey paint all over the front end and across my hood and streak down the sides of my car.... I feel like I've let my poor Dirty Toaster down.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
I know how much this must be bugging you, as you are more detail oriented than I am (and I'm a detail fiend). I'm at a loss, Meg, I wish Padanky was around 'cause paint is his thing.

Oh yeah, Hi!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would go talk to a body shop or two and see if they have any idea as to how to fix. Some of them get pretty good at solving paint issues. My friend that was a fantastic body and paint man was a wealth of how to fix.
Good luck

·
Registered
860 Posts
Finally washed my Dirty Toaster, although I can't say it did much good. :(

I got stuck behind some tanker truck a few weeks ago, going through a construction area at night, and didn't notice until the next morning that the damn things was leaking oil all over my Polar White. I didn't even see it until I got to work the next morning (sorry, but getting my toddler in the car each morning is absolute chaos and requires my FULL undivided attention), and haven't had the opportunity to wash it until TODAY.

And the oil stains aren't coming out. I gather that by now they are IN the paint. I experimented with some clay, to no avail.

PLEASE HELP??!?!?!?!

Dings and chips in my paint, especially the front end, I can tolerate because it's too late. But this disgustingness that looks like some kid just decided to dribble dark grey paint all over the front end and across my hood and streak down the sides of my car.... I feel like I've let my poor Dirty Toaster down.
Oil removes oil, WD40 on a soft cloth should melt it away easily. Meguiar's cleaner/polish also works well, with a little more rubbing.

·
Needing Toaster Time
687 Posts
Oil removes oil, WD40 on a soft cloth should melt it away easily. Meguiar's cleaner/polish also works well, with a little more rubbing.
I attempted the WD-40, but no such luck. I haven't tried the cleaner/polish, I don't think I have that one in my arsenal at this time. I did try a spot-attempt of rubbing alcohol in a small spot and that barely even made one of the lighter streaks fade.

To be honest, I fear the worst. :crying:

Maybe I should find a way to commission Mr.Josh (AXIOM, if I recall correctly, which is a very strong possibility that I don't) to do some sharpie art to cover the disaster that is now my paint.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Four new tires, an alignment and the stock exhaust put back on late last week. All in preparation for selling the wife's xB. I should have some more parts listed up soon as well.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
/\/\.. Why are you selling her XB ?????
We've had two first gen xBs for years now. The car is at almost 200k miles and she decided it was time for something new (09 GLI). I've stripped all of the aftermarket parts and just need to clean it up and post it up for sale now.

I've still got my '04 and will probably keep it for a few more years. Until I move on back to a pick up.

Expect to see an updated/new parts for sale thread from me soon.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have a question for the group, is their anything to stop the motor from shaking so bad when I come to a stop?
I don't know , some kind of rod attached to the frame, or do I just have to change all the motor mounts?

---------- Post added 02-02-2016 at 03:29 PM ----------

get it professionally buffed out that mite just do it. sounds like it ached the clear coat only good luck
Meg, I agree with yelotoxbop on this one, it might cost you around $120 but your whole car will look better.

·
Boxed Lifestyle
2,292 Posts
I have a question for the group, is their anything to stop the motor from shaking so bad when I come to a stop?
I don't know , some kind of rod attached to the frame, or do I just have to change all the motor mounts?

Nothing I know of other than the motor mounts as you mention or the transmission mount which I hear helps.

For me, I just got into the habit of shifting into neutral. It's a lazy way but works for me. I also notice that it's not as bad with the a/c off.

Sent from somewhere you've never seen before using tapatalk

·
Dead box
1,095 Posts
Nothing I know of other than the motor mounts as you mention or the transmission mount which I hear helps.

For me, I just got into the habit of shifting into neutral. It's a lazy way but works for me. I also notice that it's not as bad with the a/c off.

Sent from somewhere you've never seen before using tapatalk
Fastscions has an engine torque damper. Ingalls Engineering "Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper: Scion xA / xB 2004 - 2006

I'd be inclined to do the motor mounts first.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Fastscions has an engine torque damper. Ingalls Engineering "Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper: Scion xA / xB 2004 - 2006

I'd be inclined to do the motor mounts first.
I have the Ingalls torque damper, the engine doesn't shake but some parts of the body frame make the rattle occasionally, either the dash inside and the exhaust, my exhaust rattle above the rear sway area hitting the body frame, I fix this by securing it down.
but having the torque damper feels more grip. BTW, if ever you're goin to put this, make sure you have a jack under the engine, after I removed the engine mount, the engine lean forward to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
What can you buy now that's better in its class.
We didn't personally look at anything in the same class. My wife really wanted a GTI, but really wanted a car with a trunk again. That is why we went with the GLI.

And "in its class" is probably something very subjective when it comes to the xB. For instance, I don't consider the Gen 2 to be the same class of car as the Gen 1.

Off the top of my head, the obvious closest option to a Gen 1 would be the Nissan Cube (which I believe is going away) and Kia Soul.

The not so obvious spiritual successors could be the Ford Transit Connect and the Nissan NV200.

Bottom line is, Scion's current line up is pathetic. The one saving grace is the FR-S. Nothing else from the brand has any soul, and the brand has completely lost direction. The article in the link below from Jalopnik is actually a pretty good commentary on the current state of Scion and one man's view on how to fix it (at a very low relative cost). I happen to agree with his approach.

Scion Sucks Because We're All Cowards But I Can Fix It

12461 - 12480 of 14792 Posts