Scion xB Forum banner

12421 - 12440 of 15000 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got the rear spoiler delivered from TX and got it installed this evening. Hope it works as well as it looks.
Have to pull the HID system I installed and return to Amazon as a transformer was bad.
Anyone have experience with LED systems for headlights? Prices have fallen to a manageable price close to HID. Instant on and no flicker so could use lights for flashing when passing etc.
LED headlights seem very appealing. I read through some reviews, and they are pretty mixed. I'd also like to hear from anyone with experience using these types of bulbs. I read that some have issues ranging from bad light patterns to problems with brightness over distances. Even with those issues at hand, I think I might order a pair one of these days and try them out. If I don't like them I can probably just send them back. I like how there's no need for expensive ballasts or unnecessary high voltage wiring/specific harnesses. With these bulbs they seem to be compatible with pretty much every connector/bulb size available. After watching some YouTube videos they seem to work really well.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Got the rear spoiler delivered from TX and got it installed this evening. Hope it works as well as it looks.
Have to pull the HID system I installed and return to Amazon as a transformer was bad.
Anyone have experience with LED systems for headlights? Prices have fallen to a manageable price close to HID. Instant on and no flicker so could use lights for flashing when passing etc.
"All my Ex's and spoilers come from Texas"

·
Registered
115 Posts
"All my Ex's and spoilers come from Texas"
That's an old tune.
Spoiler works pretty well, keeps the road dust and snow way down from collecting on the back window.
Ordered a LED headlight conversion set. Over 7k lumens, 6k bandwidth. If they work well will convert the high beams as well and would be a better setup than HID for the motorcycles.

·
BOXy
81 Posts
Is there anyway to get my light white using only factory parts? It doesn't matter to me if they're LED or HID only concerns would be;

not to use aftermarket
not to get pulled over because of the lights.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think the Gen 2 uses and H11 low beam and 9005 Hhigh beam. If you aren't wanting to do a conversion of any sort, a replacement bulb like the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE with a 4200k color temperature or PIAA Xtreme White Plus with a 4000k color temperature might work.

PIAA also makes some very nice plug and play LED replacement bulbs. They'll cost you upwards of $250 though.

---------- Post added 01-13-2016 at 01:52 PM ----------

Oh, and the PIAA LEDs have a 6000k color temperature. Much whiter than the halogen options.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My cheap LED conversion is to be here Saturday. Will try and shoot a before an after pictures. The projectors seem to alter wave length some. The said output may get me in trouble with over 7k lumens. I think that's over 2k over halogen?

·
BOXy
81 Posts
I think the Gen 2 uses and H11 low beam and 9005 Hhigh beam. If you aren't wanting to do a conversion of any sort, a replacement bulb like the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE with a 4200k color temperature or PIAA Xtreme White Plus with a 4000k color temperature might work.
Does that mean that I can just stop by at an AutoZone or O'reilly -or online-, purchase the bulbs and change them? That's more or less the deepest I can go in terms of mechanical skills that's why I'm asking. : )

---------- Post added 01-15-2016 at 03:37 AM ----------

Also I've heard that factory kelvin values are 4300 but the corolla I drove with factory HID's (not sure, they were white and bright) looked way blueish than 4300. (I use light colors for photography so I can estimate approximately)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes you should be able to go to most auto parts supply and get upgrade bulbs. Very easy change out. Remember to not touch the bulb as the oil of your fingers will screw up the bulb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey everyone, just wanted to share something I came up with that I think could be a solution to one of the first gen Xb design flaws. I think we have all seen some xb's on the road that have either a broken or missing hatch appliqué. Don't get me wrong, the rear hatch design looks great but I don't think it was designed strong enough to be used to lift the weight of the gate. Over time the plastic holes pressed on to the metal studs will wear out and the hatch appliqué will become loose. My solution to the problem is this handle I made out of aluminum that utilizes the lower mounting holes of your rear license plate/license plate frame. I thought I would post some pictures here to see what you guys think. If anybody is interested in potentially purchasing on of these, let me know!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Original: http://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-appearance/25627-rear-handle-saver.html

Some of the members here (including yours truly) have this unit. Your unit looks nice, but appears to be a 2-handed operation (one hand on the release button, the other to lift the hatch) versus the unit Victor made.
Yes it would take two hands to use the handle but is very sturdy and adds a cool look when paired with the billet specialties license plate frame IMO. Thanks for posting the link to victor's solution.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
He was our resident fabricator/innovator (and a damn good friend). He actually came up with a few different fixes for the rear garnish. I paired his handle in conjunction with the much improved handle from Dare 2B Different Motorwerks - double the protection, double the looks! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
He was our resident fabricator/innovator (and a damn good friend). He actually came up with a few different fixes for the rear garnish. I paired his handle in conjunction with the much improved handle from Dare 2B Different Motorwerks - double the protection, double the looks!
Wow I honestly had no idea anybody had tried to tackle this issue before but then again I am rather new to the forums.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
He was our resident fabricator/innovator (and a damn good friend). He actually came up with a few different fixes for the rear garnish. I paired his handle in conjunction with the much improved handle from Dare 2B Different Motorwerks - double the protection, double the looks! ;)
Hay DTRAIN, got this for Christmas, thought you might get a kick out of it.

Attachments

12421 - 12440 of 15000 Posts