Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm getting a BKO lip kit from Bodykits.org
I haven't known anyone that has bought a kit from them so this will be new to me. They sell the Fab body kit (which is the one I wanted originally) but from talking with them the kit is hard to keep in stock and always backordered, they get alot of orders for it. so I guess it's good that I'm not getting that kit. I want something different.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have never seen a body kit for any car that is truely "great"...and I have seen many and installed a number. Most kits vary from mediocre to downright awefull as far as fit and quality. Even the Saleen (factory option) mustang kit I installed had some significant issues (and a $3000 price tag...ouch). If you buy a kit without a good reccomendation from someone who has bought it or installed it you are rolling dice. If you are an accomplished bodyman or know one and don't mind spending the money for him/her to rework your kit into something really nice...many kits can be OK once massaged. Some kits are so poor that the only possibilty in my mind is to return them. See what the return policy is for the kit you think you want. I have found that a better return policy is generally a sign of better parts. Stay away from the ones that want a 15-25% restocking charge...and remember shipping these outsized pieces can be expensive, so if you return it you will be paying shipping to you and back in almost all cases. SUCKS to spend $200-500 just to look at some jacklegs crappy pieces of junk.

I rolled the dice when I bought my Extreme Dimensions type F1 kit (a copy or real ED??...I do not know for sure) off ebay. The kit was of medium quality. With 15-20 hours ($1000 at shop rates not including paint) of modification and mounting fabrication it turned out really nice:)

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Ted, you heed such a vast knowledge of all things grand. lol
-=]

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just been around this stuff for a long time and have seen alot...some good....some bad. Unfortunately when it comes to custom parts like body kits what the market is willing to pay often dictates the quality that can be produced and sold at a profit. Cheap market means cheap parts (read that as mediocre quality). I am often asked by old car nuts ...gee why don't they reproduce this XXX. I ask them what they would be willing to pay for XXX. Normally the answer is about the same amount as a similar XXX on some late model car. Then I tell them well that late model XXX will sell 150,000 units and your XXX for your old car will only sell 15,000, the cost of tooling and manufacturer is about the same so you will need to pay 10 times more than what you wanna pay. Are you willing to do this?? They almost always say hell no. Well that is why we contend with no or poor quality parts for our old or custom projects. The price of parts for a limited market must be higher to amortize the costs involved across fewer sales. Often this means no availability or poor quality (cheaper manufacturing cost to make the part price closer to what the market will pay). So to counter this we should all go buy the most expensive parts of a type we can find?? Maybe!! If those are the best parts on the market yes!!! My guess is that the most expensive body kits are also the best quality wise. The problem is that there is always one with a high price that is just a ripoff. Trying to avoid that one can be difficult:/
Replacement auto parts (starters, alternators etc) have suffered from this alot over the years. These days it is hard to find a really high quality replacement part as all the sellers try to compete with the crap thats out there and the general public continues to shop by price alone.

·
Registered
325 Posts
have you seem the eribuni kit in person.?
I have seen 2 kits using Eribuni parts in them before (neither were for a Scion). One kits was for an Integra, another for a Mustang, both kits used some Eribuni parts and some from other manufacturers. The Eribuni parts I saw were the worst pieces of trash I have ever seen. The Mustang kit got returned the integra kit got used but the Eribuni hood (didn't fit the opening, was softer that paper machette, had 1/4 inch deep waves in it) and 3 lip pieces went in the trash (that is how bad they were). Does Eribuni make nice parts for the xB??...who knows but after what I have seen I would touch nothing Eribuni unless I had already seen it and knew it was good (or the seller would deliver it for inspection and pay both ways shipping with no penalty for return if I didn't like it).

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
to make a long story short, you get what you pay for. -=]

·
Registered
325 Posts
to make a long story short, you get what you pay for. -=]
The problem is that often you get nothing (or crap) cause others are not willing to pay for it:/

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ted, or anybody, can you recommend a good fab or spirit kit re-saler? :)
Too many knock-offs on ebay,i want something built well that WONT cost 15 hours in the body shop to make it look how it should (paint of course is fine)
Thanks,

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry no clue.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Quality and cheap price dont always go together. I have SERIOUS reservations about paying less for a full kit with shipping versus a front bumper without shipping. Theres obviously something different, besides the name. Same goes for wheels. A lot of sets I see ran cost less for a full set than one of the wheels of a higher end company. You're telling me the difference is all in the name? I think not. Ive bought the crappy wheels, Ive boughten the knockoff kits, and Ive done all that. Where did it get me? Replacing parts year after year until I got my stuff now pretty much . (and I STILL need to replace some). The only faith of knockoffs I have is if I personally know the maker of that kit, and know that THEY were the ones that copied it of the original (Noblesse for example that is out in US). Nowadays, the Fab kits are replicas of Fab kits. Thats scary for me if I want a good fitting kit. Usually though, you get what you pay for. You neglect paying for a style, and pay more for seemingly cheap kit.

scotty

·
Registered
537 Posts
Scotty, do you know of anyone who has purchased on of the replica noblesse kits yet or if there are any actual pics of it? Do you know, is it made out of fiberglass or FRP? These are questions for Emu aren't they.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I know the people that are looking at buying it/in progress of, but I actually havent had one in my possession yet and I dont know of one on. (I may in the future gettin one, who knows. That or Chargespeed). The kit is fiberglass Im 99% sure. Emu would be the best to talk to on this though.

Chris, yea its legit the Noblesse is replicated. In reality though, I dont see it hurting Van much or at all. Anybody who has really really wanted it has bought it, and the rest are balking at the price since it isnt the 400 shipped like the Fab kit. It wont go that low either thankfully, so itll be unique.

Now we just need to work on getting teh Spirits kit copied ;) hahaha jp

Scotty

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.