Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
XBLove
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy story... I was transporting 2X4's. They were hanging out my back, I had my hatch up. I'm a moron, I know. Anyway, backing into my garage, the 2X4 hit some shelves in my garage and forced them into my clock and broke it. I need a new Cluster. I am finding clusters all over the internet with less than 100,000 miles. Since I don't want to commit a Felony, how would I roll my new odometer forward? My XB has 141,000 miles. Is the mileage stored in the odometer itself, or the computer?

·
Registered
887 Posts
mileage is stored in the odometer and will have to be reporgramed if u want to be 100% legit, or just find one very close to urs or mayb a lil over and u should be fine.

·
XBLove
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All you need not to be breaking the law is to remember to tell the buyer that the actual mileage is xxxx more.
Good point. It sounds like the consensus is that the mileage is stored in the computer, so I may not even have a problem. I'll post my findings when my new used cluster gets here.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
Mileage is with the odometer and the ecu among other places. If it was only in the ECU or Odometer you could just go get replacement and mileage magically comes off the car. Especially important back in the day of everyone leasing a car.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
That's not normal..I've heard of people doing swaps and no milage issues...weird
what he meant was that he was testing the one that he swapped the LEDs on in his.

There must be some kind of battery that can be removed that will allow the mileage to be picked up from the ECU

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
The cluster has non-volatile memory chip so it keeps info even without power.
The tech from Toyota told me that if the new cluster is ordered they ask for ODO reading and the cluster will be programmed. He also said they come programmed from the factory but i think that's BS, the dealer must have the tool to do it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At the dealership we have to order digital odometers pre-programmed to the current mileage from the manufacturer. The old one has to be destroyed as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts